Pretend It's A City w/ Fran Lebowitz & Martin Scorsese *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jeff Kent, Jan 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

Airing now on Netflix. It should be required viewing for all New Yorkers. I think it's the second episode where she talks about music and tells a couple great Charles Mingus stories.

[​IMG]

2. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Great show. Just the right amount of movement, flashback, present-tense, interview-ese, and a dash of Marty here and there. Half an hour long. Very edifying. Only seven episodes, however.

How long were the Public Speaking shorts from ten years ago? (I didn't know those existed until yesterday.) This new show takes on that same format, just ten years on.

3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Loved this, and would like to see Public Speaking, but it doesn't seem to be streaming or otherwise available to watch.

4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Wonderful, perfect Lebowitz, she and Scorsese work very well together. Loved the stories about Charles Mingus and Jerome Robbins and others which I won't spoil. She knows/knew everybody and has the acid wit and snark of a true New Yorker. The seven episodes went by too fast, wish there were more.
    Perfect love letter to NYC, much needed at this time.

5. nicholas029

nicholas029 Forum Resident

Too bad she eschews computers and can't type. Would be great to have her here.

CusBlues, Tanx and ralphb like this.
  6. ralphb

She would get permanently banned in a day.:laugh:
    Too bad she didn't repeat her story about getting the job writing for Interview again. Pretty sure it's on Public Speaking.

CusBlues, carrick doone and Old Mac like this.
  7. ralphb

Apropos of nothing other than there's a NY Dolls thread up, here's a photo of Fran and David Johansen.
    [​IMG]

OldSoul, keef00, CusBlues and 3 others like this.
  8. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. What is special about Public Speaking over this series?

CusBlues likes this.
  9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Mingus chasing a 19 year old Fran down the streets of Manhattan is quite an image.

10. ralphb

Public Speaking has different anecdotes, more excerpts from her speaking engagements. Not too much overlap between the two. Personally, I can never have enough of Fran Lebowitz.

CusBlues and carrick doone like this.
  11. Jeff Kent

Is it just me, or are most of her books put of print...?

CusBlues likes this.
  12. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't get what this series is supposed to be about.

CusBlues likes this.
  13. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I really liked the episode about NYC proper, but the next episode she kind of meanders around a bunch of topics, and I lost interest.

14. ralphb

Looks like you're right. Just did a quick check on Amazon and not even The Fran Lebowitz Reader is in print. Even the paperbacks of Social Studies and Metropolitan Life go for insane money. Strange to be sure.

15. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah I saw a preview on Netflix and was like "I don't get it."

16. Jeff Kent

I can see that. Maybe it's a New Yorker thing...then again, she's not for everyone.

17. ralphb

It's probably a combination of the two. Although, both her collections were bestsellers, so someone outside of the 5 boroughs must have bought them.:)
    I've found that if you like Dorothy Parker or Robert Benchley you'll like her. Then again, how many people like those two?

timind, smilin ed and carrick doone like this.
  18. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

As someone who's lived in cities all his adult life, I find Fran Lebowitz very funny. Maybe not as funny as Martin Scorsese does, but I can relate to Fran's monologues about stinky subway trains or the difficulty of finding a good, affordable apartment. Still - I always find myself wondering if Fran translates well to people who don't live in New York City (or any city, for that matter). To someone living in suburban Texas or rural Nebraska is Fran the East Coast version of Jeff Foxworthy ("You Might Be A Cynical East Coast Leftist Intellectual If...you spend a half hour complaining about the L Train.")?

timind, BluesOvertookMe and R. Totale like this.
  19. ralphb

Doubt it would translate for the folks you mention, she is very New York City-centric. Also, if you've read her books, they're very gay-centric, the subject matter, the turns of phrase, those books came out in '78 and '81 and consist of a lot of the writing she did for Interview Magazine and had a huge gay following. The Lebowitz you get in Pretend It's A City and Public Speaking is different, still a snarky, sparkling smart curmudgeon, and some of what she says in those will be familiar to her readers, but it's toned down just a smidge.
    As far as the bolded part, yeah, that's me.:) Although these days it would be the A train.

OldSoul likes this.
  20. Old Mac

Old Mac Forum Resident

Hey, I live in Montana and she speaks to me, not only as a New Yorker, but as a human being.

ex_mixer and bostonscoots like this.
  21. Waterloo17

Waterloo17 Forum Resident

I really enjoyed it. If you don’t get it in the first ten minutes of the first episode, it’s probably not your thing.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  22. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I think there was a run on the book due to Netflix so I'd give it a month or two to get back in stock.

ralphb likes this.
  23. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’m loving this series which I’m watching with my wife and our 14 year old daughter here in L.A. I’m the native New Yorker, but in recent years my family has regularly visited the city to spend time with me when I work there for long periods. Given that exposure they’re appreciating the show in a way I think it might be hard to do otherwise. It’s been fun watching them react and laugh (a lot).

ralphb likes this.
  24. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Fran is so passionate, articulate and precise about her opinions they are delightful.
    BTW I loved Fran's bit about the cost of New York. I identify. We have the same attitude in Vancouver. Just live here - yes, you can't afford it.

ralphb likes this.
  25. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

Always liked Fran Lebowitz's intelligence and point of view. I don't have Netflix, so I'll have to wait to see this.

When I saw ralphb's post about her books going for insane money, I decided to cash in and auction my second-hand hardcovers. We'll see what they fetch!

Usually this board costs me $$$!!

Thanks to this thread and ralphb!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.