Pretenders & Pretenders II Albums get 40th Anniversary Box Treatment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shvartze Shabbos, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Shvartze Shabbos

Shvartze Shabbos Senior Member Thread Starter

Once it’s released will probably find it a little less. 40ish.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

So fed up that once again the vinyl issues aren't ecpanded to double albums featuring the bonus material.
    Bonus tracks are becoming the privilige of the CD collector.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

That's steep.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Correct and Porcelain and Cuban Slide were the s/t outtakes unique to Extended Play at the time anyway. I use the 1994 "Don't Get Me Wrong" compilation for those two and they sound pretty nice there.

Lewisboogie, g.z. and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

Aarghhhh - I was mistaken. The Central Park Precious was on the 2015 s/t release. I don't know how I missed that - and I even own it!

6. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I have only the MFSLs and Rhinos, not the 2015s. I did a super-quick comparison of tracks and it looks like about 26 or 27 from the forthcoming self-titled reissue and 12 from II would be new to me. Sound right or am I way off?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The 1980 Boston show was released on vinyl in one of the 2020 RSD drops.

dee and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  8. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

Actually, it isn't.
    It claims it is but it isn't.
    Both CD 1 & CD 2 of that set feature the exact same track from Boston, March 1980...
    So, this will be its first CD release...

9. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Ah yeah I remember figuring that out as well thanks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

Wow, I must have known that too at some point, hence the note in my database. But I have no memory of it now. There are some things I get upset about forgetting, like my anniversary (you only get to do that once) or where I parked my car. This one, not so much. Thanks for the correction.

11. bluearmy78

bluearmy78 Living in real gangster times.

This is getting a bit ott. Have all the other releases. Including the box set. Not sure I will pay the price for these. If they become cheaper maybe.

12. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It's the opposite...

Pretenders
    • Released: 27 December 1979 (UK) 19 January 1980 (US)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Black Cat Surfboards

Black Cat Surfboards Forum Resident

This is one of the few __th "anniversary" sets that I am excited about and probably will jump on. I bought both Pretenders I and II when they came out, and the sound quality of II is marred on a couple tracks by a flaw in the vinyl that makes the sound muddy (like a clump of dust is on the needle but it is not).

I've literally been waiting 40 years for a chance at some of this live material.

When I was in college, our radio station got the 1980-81 BBC concert as well as the King Biscuit Flour Hour concerts on vinyl. About a dozen tracks on each. I made cassette recordings (poorly) of both records and have WORN THOSE OUT over the last 40 years. The band is just on fire on some of the tracks. "Up the Neck" "Day after Day" in particular are just brutal how good the band sounds live. Martin Chambers drumming and James Honeyman-Scott in particular cut loose live and just tear into these songs.

For me this is HUGE.
    How much am I going to spend?

dee, Gabba Gabba, petzmark and 2 others like this.
  14. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Not according to the sources I’m finding. Pretenders (album)

Darrin L. likes this.
  15. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

Longtime fan and collector of the band (especially the original line-up). Here some notes and thoughts.

Pretenders (first album)
    CD 2
    Suicide
    and Do I Love You have been circulating for a long time, good to have an official release (in hopefully superior quality) now. The demo of I Go To Sleep is new and has not circulated before as far as I know. Not sure if the two Kid Jensen shows are complete.
    CD 3
    Paris Theatre, London (BBC 1979)
    – important early radio broadcast of the band. It has been circulating for a long time, good to have an official release now. The complete broadcast is included. Otherwise available on BBC Transcription LP In Concert 222.
    Paradise Theatre, Boston (1980) – 11 tracks were previously available on Warner Bros. Music Show LP 114 and on a RSD LP from 2020. This new release includes one additional track (The Phone Call). Two more songs that are circulating are missing from this version (I Go To Sleep, Brass In Pocket).

Pretenders II
    CD 2
    Wollman Ice Rink, Central Park, New York City (1980)
    – powerful show by the original line-up. Nine songs from this show are available on a KBFH radio station LP. Three additional songs are circulating as off-air recordings. Five of those twelve songs are included in the 2021 set. Porcelain is new and has not circulated before as far as I know.
    CD 3
    Santa Monica Civic Auditorium (1981)
    – a great show by the original line-up, highlighting the mastery of guitarist James Honeyman-Scott. Large parts of this show have been released on Warner Bros. Music Show LP 121 and on NBC radio station LPs. The complete show was released as a download by Wolfgang's Vault. 15 songs were released as part of the 2006/2015 reissue sets. This new 2021 set is the first mainstream release of the entire 18 song show.

17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Very helpful thanks for doing this.

18. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I'm def getting these. I wanted the Edsel reissues but the prices were very high. I'm wondering how the remastering compares to the Edsel reissues? I'm not worrying about getting the DVDs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I wish the Kampuchea show was included. I like the tone of their guitars at that show.

20. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Happy to see these coming out. Instant buy for me - saw the original four in Mershon Auditorium Columbus OH 9/25/1981.

Never to be forgotten.

21. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

22. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

23. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

Hopefully, when McCartney gets his Back To The Egg archive release together we'll see a nice Kampuchea release. I image the clearing of rights has kept this out of the public eye all these years. Night Flight used to show highlights from it often. The album was great as well , if memory serves the Pretenders got a side, I think Queen got a side. Queen 79 set, Wings 79 set, original Pretenders lineup set...its a winner!!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  24. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Only The Who and McCartney had their own sides.

Lewisboogie, J_D__ and paustin0816 like this.
  25. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

:-(