Pretenders & Pretenders II Albums get 40th Anniversary Box Treatment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shvartze Shabbos, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Shvartze Shabbos

Shvartze Shabbos Senior Member Thread Starter

Have made my way through Pretenders S/T 40th three disc book and I am happy as can be. Nice presentation, nice sound quality and book is large and filled with pictures. For 40 bucks for 40th anniversary it has a nice place on the shelf with the rest of the Pretenders collection. Redundant, yes, but to me essential.

I ordered from Amazon expecting WMG - Warner/Rhino but it states “Warner Music UK” so it is a European release that is being disturbed here in the states. Made in Germany. Will report back with II when I have a chance to get through that set.

All of the discs are pristine and were obviously inserted into holders with extreme care. So in that regard, thankfully it’s not WMG Warner Rhino. So tired of ordering, returning and swapping discs in and out to get a decent (scratched free in other words, new) set of discs in, well, everything they release. Nice job with production, presentation, assembly and quality control Warner Music UK! :righton:

2. dee

dee Senior Member

Are there new vinyl releases of the 2 albums also?

3. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

You might have sold an extra copy with this post...
    I never had these albums on CD so for me apart from the main album tracks almost everything else will be new.

4. Shvartze Shabbos

:righton: You will enjoy these sets, especially if you haven’t heard the extras before. Wow!

5. Shvartze Shabbos

IIRC I think someone up thread mentioned there was, according to second disc.

dee likes this.
  6. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

I agree with you, and I wouldn't call it redundant because, in my opinion, this is the best it has ever sounded on CD, and the first reissue matching the original LP soundwise. It's ridiculous it took about forty years of digital audio technology to do that, and it's not as if the technology wasn't there. And some of those reissue were very disappointing.
    I actually hope they will do the other albums as well, but I'm not sure it's going to happen... the first albums have a cult status, rightly so, and Hynde has always spoken very affectionately about that first band, not sure if she feels the same way about the other albums and/or Warner think there is a market for them.
    Maybe if Pretenders I/II do really well they will have a go at the others... we'll see...

7. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

I cannot believe you two made me buy these albums again! I have several iterations already and was only going to purchase a vinyl copy of II but if these sound as good as you both say...
    I also do love a nice booklet and it hadn't registered in my head that the CD sets are in a 12x12 package despite my looking at these for the last month.

Sold! I'll pick up the vinyl copy later. Btw, ImportCDs has a fantastic price ($30.26) on the deluxe sets for anyone interested.

The Pretenders Pretenders (Deluxe Edition) Deluxe Edition on ImportCDs
    The Pretenders Pretenders II (Deluxe Edition) Deluxe Edition on ImportCDs

Shvartze Shabbos, dee and Gradese like this.
  8. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Strong chance I would say for Learning To Crawl, afterwards probably not.

9. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Have the vinyl versions been released yet in the UK?

10. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

I agree. It is nice to see effusive praise. Since I have the 2006 Rhinos, I’m still sort of on the fence on these. The lack of vinyl in the CD sets is actually a plus for me. That combined with the price helps as well. Also, I’d be curious to see they follow up with Learning To Crawl and Get Close. Maybe down the line…

Shvartze Shabbos and Lewisboogie like this.
  11. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Their version of Higher and Higher is superb. What a vocalist

J_D__, vinnie and Greenalishi like this.
  12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I’ll definitely be passing on these:cheers:

13. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I am currently reading her autobiography. Excellent. Highly recommended. She has a story. And digs music. Really different from my preconception. And the title really describes her life even more so than Lemmy. Great book.

14. dee

dee Senior Member

Finally comprehending each 3cd set is sold separately. The new vinyl releases, where are they, anyone? I feel like I'm getting clobbered by temptation!

Shvartze Shabbos and Greenalishi like this.
  15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I was going to get it but then I think I read it only covers the early years and abruptly stops. Is that the case?

Greenalishi likes this.
  16. ConnieGuitar

I've apparently been quite slow all around on the mental uptake front - the vinyl releases appear to be exclusive to the Rhino website - as I look on their site again, the two separate LPs and the LP bundle are actually listed under the "Exclusive" category. That, as well as I'm not seeing links anywhere else for them, and I've certainly been looking!

It's seeming like only the two colored vinyl editions will be available (no black), and that they're only being sold directly by Rhino. For now, anyway.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Shvartze Shabbos and dee like this.
  17. ConnieGuitar

You are correct - which ticked off many! - but it's still totally worth a read regardless.

Greenalishi, DesertHermit and Porkpie like this.
  18. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I checked and the longer version is on Pirate Radio and Singles.

19. dee

dee Senior Member

Okay makes more sense to me now ;) as last night I stumbled online across those 2 albums on colored vinyl from the Rhino site. Looked good.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  20. Ale200

Ale200 Forum Resident

It's a shame they didn't include Bob Clearmountain's extended version and remix/edit of Kid. We have yet another reissue of the first album and the Extended Remix was only included on the 2015 2CD/DVD set of the debut album. This is a big omission, IMO. I guess the band hates Clearmountain's remix...:shake::shake::sigh:

Lewisboogie and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. ConnieGuitar

Well I do hope my take isn't correct because it seems very short-sighted to only have limited copies available strictly through Rhino....especially if the new masterings sound as good as touted above! Lots of folks would snap up the s/t album at the very least, even those who already own it on vinyl (i.e., most of us).

dee likes this.
  22. dee

dee Senior Member

There's an extended version of "Kid"...?

Oh a remix too? That might be sadistic - I couldn't spell sacrosanct and sacreligious with any confidence. Kid might be my favorite song ever. Any changing it, oh my!

Lewisboogie and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. I think I’ll just stream these. I’ve rebought their first three albums so many times.

24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I had to spend the first 45 minutes with this taking Precious from Central Park trimming some crowd and then a fade in; then took Porcelain and Cuban Slide from these sets, a little volume adjustment to combine with the MFSL of Talk of the Town and Message of Love and made a nice sounding digital Extended Play first time possible finally. I used to listen to this as much as I ever did II at the time.

My Initial impressions of the sq, only checking the four like tracks level matched, it’s not wildly different from say Pirate Radio; I don’t have the earlier DEs anymore, but they seem less loud/bunched up sounding here certainly. The two album tracks level matched seemed to even stack up pretty well to the MFSL. Looking forward to digging into all the other goodies next.

25. Ale200

Ale200 Forum Resident

Yes, they were released in 1987. The Extended Version and the Re-mix are technically the same. The "remix" is an edited version of the Bob Clearmountain extended mix.
    Kid is also one of my favorite songs and IMO, the Clearmountain mix is not drastically different from the original, it just adds some clarity and makes the instruments sound more "alive", it's similar to what he did on The Cure's Just Like Heaven or ´Til Tuesday's Voices Carry single mixes.
    Both versions definitely deserved to be included on this reissue!!