Pretenders

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Carl Hoffmann, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member Thread Starter

Just picked up the new remastered "Greatest Hits" package made in Australia. My ears were not at all happy with the sound.
    Way too shrill on the highs. Plus, the "Singles" compilation is much tighter on track selection.

Steve, any chance you could tackle either "Singles" or some of there early albums?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I love The Pretenders, especially their first album.

The tapes (at least for the first album) actually have a nice warm analogue sound. And, boy oh boy, what that sound has turned into on some of the CD's I've heard. Phew: No bass, shrill high end, etc.

There aren't enough knobs on my mastering console to be able to get that much "tin can" sound to those tapes, even if I wanted to. :confused:

3. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member Thread Starter

Steve - glad to hear there is potential for something better than than the ear bleeder I purchased. I guess I'll just add this disc to my coaster pile and cross my fingers you get a shot at their material at some point soon.

4. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Yes, *please* Steve, remaster these!

I adore the first Pretenders album, and the CD is just blah.

I actually just recorded a CDR of this from vinyl last weekend, and wow... THERES the bass I remember!

5. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Yeah Steve, could you look into remastering at least The Pretenders-The Pretenders?I'd love it on DVD-A but cd would be great also.When I heard Rhino was coming out with a Pretenders box I wanted to find out if they would be coming out with a DVD-A of the first album and they replied they had no plans for such a release- which surprised me unless their just trying to keep it quiet.
    Another album I can't understand why they won't remaster is The Stooges-Funhouse.Rhino handmade did a 6 cd boxset of it but I missed my chance to get it.I suggested to them they due a expanded remaster like they did for The Velvet Undergrounds-Loaded (Fully Loaded) or Love-Forever Changes.I mean this album tops almost every critics list around the world and was considered the blueprint for "Garage" rock records for years to come.Other than that I really would love to more late 70's early 80's pop/new wave albums.I reallize most of your core market is Cream,Doors,Creedance classic rock but just a few I'd buy in a heart beat would be The Replacements-Tim and Pleased To Meet Me,and the first two Police albums- see below wish list-thank you

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I think "Learning To Crawl" has the worst sound. Very trebly, thin, no depth or warmth at all.

Of course, Rhino will probably get this one too. :(

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

C'mon Rhino, get with the program!

"The Pretenders" & "Learning To Crawl" (and "Funhouse" too!), those are some remastered titles that would get my wallet open!

8. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Re: C'mon Rhino, get with the program!

Hey Andrew!

Do tell - what's Funhouse? I'm not familiar with that.

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Rhino will bring a box set... sometime in late summer.

10. Andrew

Re: Re: C'mon Rhino, get with the program!

The Stooge's (aka Iggy & the Stooges) second and final LP for Elektra, recorded in Los Angeles in 1970. Not for the faint of heart, particularly side one. Gawd I wish somebody would remaster it with the original gatefold sleeve![​IMG]

11. AudioGirl

AudioGirl Forum Resident

Steve!!

I'm so excited to hear that you're a Pretenders fan!

I love the Pretenders. Any chance of a HQ Vinyl, SACD or DVD-A?

....... or all of the above! :)

Uh, just in case, I'm especially fond of their first album.... "The Singles" Can you do that one first? :D :D

12. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Feedback To Rhino

While I really wish Steve would remaster both The Stooges-Funhouse and The Pretenders-The Pretenders,It would be great for everybody who has posted here to e mail their requests for these classic albums to the Rhino website also (ask Dr. Rhino).I think maybe if they get enough requests/emails maybe they might change their mind and remaster them(or at least license them out to someone like Steve who knows what he's doing)

13. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Both Pretenders albums are about 47-51 minutes each. I know maybe Steve might not agree, but I'd love to see a 2LP 45RPM of the Pretenders 1st LP. The LP format at 33.3 could not compliment the real sound of that or the II record.

14. Andrew

Pretenders, Stooges et al...

Sometimes I wonder if we'll live long enough to see these redone properly (or even semi-properly).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.