Pretty Shady Ebay Seller....

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by stereoguy, Jul 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

Guys,

I just thought I'd relate a recent EBAY experience and get your opinions on it. Mine is that the seller involved is a shady crook:

So, I Bid on, Won, and PAID for a certain Beatles album. The next day there is an EBAY message that the sale had been cancelled because the item was "Lost or Damaged". My payment has been refunded. I email the seller and he emails me that "His Banking Records Were Compromised". Right away, my antenna goes up, because what does that have to do with my sale? He's been paid, all he has to do now is ship the record. I made a mental note to check the sellers auctions the next week or so to see if my album pops up.

Last night, sure as heck, there's the album I won , now listed at TEN TIMES the price I had paid him.

So, what recourse Do I have here. Doesnt the seller have an obligation to ship me the item once I have paid for it, because it is now my property?

I would really like to know your thoughts!

Thanks.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'd contact Ebay, to find out where you stand.
    I am not a fan of the auctions.... if it doesn't have a sell now price, I'm out.

I had a scenario where I bid on something, and lost, and then the seller contacted me to say that the top bid fell through and I was next in line.... it's all a bit shady to me.

Dave likes this.
  3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You don't really have any recourse here. The auction was cancelled and you received 100% of your money back.

You can call eBay to complain but it's not like they can force the seller to send you an item that was "lost or damaged".

The seller can easily claim that the new one he has listed is a different copy. eBay can't really prove otherwise and I don't think they'd care to anyway.

Classic sellers remorse case. Listed it as an auction, didn't go for what he wanted, so he pulled the old "lost" & relist for higher routine.

Lost In The Flood and Spitfire like this.
  4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

You got your money back. I doubt you'll get anything else.

5. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts, guys.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Happens occasionally. Nothing you can do. Some people suck. Move on.

giantleech likes this.
  7. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

He had no idea what it was worth. He stopped the hosing by simply ending it.

8. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

This is actually a common practice and there's nothing shady about it. People get wrapped up in the thrill of an auction that they lose sight of how much they're actually willing to pay. When it comes time to hand over the money, they realize they made a mistake and they vanish. I'm not totally sure, but I believe the seller has the option to either cancel or offer it to the second-highest bidder (presumably at that person's bid, not the one that actually won but wasn't paid for).

The only way I can see this being shady is if the seller has an accomplice (or does it themselves) who bids it up far more than it's worth in the hopes that someone gets wrapped up in battling for it and ends up paying more than they should. Of course, there's no way to prove that, but if it's something worth $50 and the bid is at $65, you probably wouldn't even bother with it anyway.

AaronW and Grootna like this.
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

That's certainly what it seemed like

10. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Hmm... eBay does use words like "You're in luck!" and "Last chance!" to drive sales, which is independent of the sellers themselves - but if the seller seems shady, then you're absolutely right to back away.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Make sure you have your refund. Then leave carefully constructed negative feedback.

"Canceled my purchase as damaged, then relisted same item at higher price."

Do not call the seller names. Stick to the facts.

intv7, black sheriff and Dave like this.
  12. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Same thing, and the seller didn't bother with subterfuge, just said the sell price was too low. In fairness, it was considerably less than I was prepared to pay. I'm still looking for that record.

No recourse, forget it and live your life.

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

A little off topic, but the WTB section of this site is a pretty good place to find particular Beatles pressings.

14. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I'll check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.