Price watch - Bob Dylan and The Band Complete Basement Tapes

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by gottafeelin, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Wow, it's only 5.99 for LPs, 6.99 for tapes...
    [​IMG]

Clanceman, aoxomoxoa and Moth like this.
  2. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Nice blast from the past. I used to pick up most of my new CD releases from Discount Records on State St. back in the early 90s. Their prices were usually $1 or $2 cheaper than Warehouse and Tower. I don't remember a location on South U so it must have been closed by then.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  3. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

$119.05 USD after VAT take off.
    the beave

aoxomoxoa and gottafeelin like this.
  4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Remember, that some prices are higher or lower in Europe when comparing to US, sometimes its silly cheap over that side of the Atlantic Ocean.
    I suppose now price the price for BS11 is almost similar to what I paid for 4cd Deluxe Edition of Bootleg Series 10 (Another Self Portrait), as I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk and also BS11 has 2 more discs in total than BS10.
    99,99€ is really good price and I will lock it down, unless something else comes along before the release-date.

5. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jack posted this on the other thread.

"6cd box now up at Bull Moose for $128 and change."

6. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Duly ordered. Amazon pre-order cancelled.

7. HominyRhodes

Amazon will follow the price spiral downward. In the end they may not be the rock bottom price, but they will be close. I just hope they SHIP THEM ON TIME this go round.

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

While I obviously understand the anticipation over the last 46 years, these are still aluminum CDs. Not MFSLs, etc. How is $20.00 per disc justified ?

9. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

My experience lately has been that Bull Moose comes in a little lower than Amazon. Combine that with the Amazon sales tax we pay here in Texas and Bullmoose really becomes a no-brainer for me.

Bull Moose, HominyRhodes and Myke like this.
  10. The Beave

Actually $21.33 to be exact.
    No! Get it down to $17 which is what Mosaic charges per disc in their Jazz Box sets, and the price is worth it with those. Too damn high for ****'s been sitting in a closet for decades. Sorry, but Bob is Not God.
    the beave

Tjazz likes this.
  11. Myke

Dylan's Mono box, 8 CDs, on an Amazon Lightning Sale, Nov. 28, 2011, $51.99, a sale I grant you, but the price before the sale was only $67.77 !

:shrug:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  12. The Beave

But even at $67, 8 cd's is a good price! I'm still surprised there is no movement on Amazon.CA with either this or the Beatles Vinyl Mono box. Me is thinking the glory days of gettin a killer deal on Amazon is long gone. Last two killer deals was My Boss at work scored on a New Beatles US Stereo Vinyl set for $147 :)righton:) back in 2013 and I scored an Optimal Beatles Stereo box from Amazon.CA for $191. :winkgrin: Those were fun days.......:goodie:
    the beave

HominyRhodes likes this.
  13. Myke

Retailers can do whatever they want, it's the list price that matters.
    I now see the Mono box list is $130.00
    This is $150.00, for 2 CDs less.
    In 3 years, that's inflation.

At least it's starting to be clearer for me now...

14. Those were the days when Amazon actually cared about using physical music releases as loss-leaders. That has long since passed as the market shrinks. If you pay attention, almost all of their current music sales are geared for their MP3 store.

15. HominyRhodes

But not in Canada, right? I couldn't find any mp3's on amazon.ca...are they hidden?

16. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I dunno, I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way - you're not just paying for 6 pieces of plastic.
    There are most likely two thick, richly detailed books with new information, never before seen photographs, artifacts from back in the day, etc. If Another Self Portrait was any indication, they're also probably going to be gorgeous. Then, on the CDs, you have a plethora of unreleased music. I know some of this has trickled out over past archival releases, but at least something like 125 are being released (some in their original form) for the first time. To add onto that, thirty or so of those tracks are said to not have been circulated in any form before. How many box sets can you say that about? It's like an archive dump. Finally, you add in the 46 years people have been pining for this stuff (about twice as long as I've been alive), and it seems pretty fairly priced to me.

17. HominyRhodes

At least the CDs are about an hour long apiece. Some reissues are much shorter than that (Nashville Skyline is only about 28 minutes long; Meet the Beatles was only 27:00, not counting the mono/stereo duplicates). So think of it as a 12-disc box set, and then it will only be $10 per disc. <s>

18. Myke

CDs have held 80 minutes for decades now. :confused:

19. Myke

And that's the problem for me. I don't care about the books, I'll thumb through them once, just like all the Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson books, and I never crack them again. I just have to wait until someone on eBay is selling one for around $75. or so. I'll be fine. Have been up to now. :winkgrin:

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

That's exactly right BW, there's a lot more than just the discs involved here. Now, that said, I think it could still be a bit cheaper, but this is the deluxe version and it's priced as one. I'm very happy with the Another Self-Portrait deluxe set as far as what was included besides the cds. Maybe in time, in a few years perhaps, they'll release all the music in a more basic set. . . but I wouldn't hold my breath.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  21. HominyRhodes

Yep, they could put three Beatles LPs on one CD, but they don't! I just meant that you'll be getting a lot of material for 20 bucks a disc.

22. HominyRhodes

Bullmoose caveat: it says "should ship within 48 hours of 11/04" -- at least Amazon is promising to deliver it on 11/04, for those of us who can't wait to hear it.

Also, does Bullmoose charge extra for S&H?

EDIT: Found the S&H info:
    Shipping is $2.99 for the first item and $1.00 for each additional item.

Economy shipping is free on orders over $25.00.

We ship First Class to New England addresses so local orders often will arrive in a day or two. We ship via UPS Mail Innovations outside New England. They will deliver your order to your post office and the USPS will bring it to your house probably within 5-7 business days.

23. Myke

No, free over $25. Bull Moose shipments have been known to appear on the Monday before release day too. Love the Bull.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  24. HominyRhodes

Good to know...I'll keep it in the hopper then.

25. Myke

Read the Bull Moose thread in Marketplace Discussions too.

HominyRhodes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.