Primaluna amplifiers thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mo-Tech, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Well, I had the chance of buying a Dialogue Premium Integrated HP (evo 400) and chose to buy a Dialogue Premium Integrated (evo 300), mostly because of these reasons:
    1) I knew I would do a lot of tube rolling, I have more than 15 quads now and I can´t imagine having that amount of sets if I had to buy 8 instead of 4. Also, when one of them goes south, it´s a pain, you get stuck with 7 tubes instead of 3.
    2) I live in Buenos Aires that is a very hot place 6 months a year and a hot place 3 months a year.
    3) Power consumption matters to me.
    4) I have quite efficient speakers and I don´t need the extra power. Also I didn´t notice bigger headroom or whatever, I don´t play loud anyway.
    5) Both Evo 300 & 400 weight the same, so it´s just the extra tubes. A different design with more power for people that needs it.

I lost the headphones option that was not included in my model, but it is now in evo 300, so, one more point for evo 300 if I had to buy now...

Hope you can find my answer useful.

Dignan2000, OC Zed and Echoes Myron like this.
  2. Neiro

Neiro Forum Resident

Just bought an EVO 200 Integrated. Very happy with the amp, great sound and superb build quality. Packaging was exceptional too. The one fly in the ointment is that no manual is supplied. I rang my dealer who said 'oh thats what they do now, don't think there is an online version either' I was not impressed. There are two switches on the side and I did not know what they were for. No battery in the remote and no information as to what type. I eventually found a manual on the PL USA site which filled in what the switches were for but still no battery info but worked that one out.

No manual is a step too far I think, definitely took the shine off things.

3. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

manuals are available on the web site under product support.

Owner's Manuals — PrimaLuna USA

4. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Holy guacamole what's this..? You killed the warrantee.:cop:

macster likes this.
  5. Neiro

Neiro Forum Resident

Yes I did find that eventually. At the time I fired up the amp I did not have net access so would have preferred to have a manual in the box

6. Mo-Tech

Mo-Tech Forum Resident Thread Starter

If your speakers are well below 90db sensitive, I reckon their top-of-the-like EVO 400 is a much better choice above any other model.

I have 85db speakers and I am sometimes nearing maximum power even with KT88s tubes (stock EL34 give even a bit less wattage). And I am not a loud listener.

And personally I feel the 8-tube amp will give much more of that warm "tubey" sound we love and adore vs a similar 4-tube topology.

YMMV applies of course.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  7. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Having had the four-tube Four and Five, the eight tube HP amp, and now the Evo 300 amp, I can say that the “tubey-ness” depends more on the tube choice than the number of them.

JohnK

8. Mo-Tech

Don't give a toss about the warranty on some 5+ year old amp that doesn't have one, none for ages already. I am not their salesman. I will not send it back to them or any dealer if it magically happen to burn down either - I take full responsibility in what I do. I stated clearly there DON'T do this unless you know what are you doing.

(That being said, if you KNOW what you are doing, you'll bring your Primaluna to a next level - with this mod I'd personally say it competes with 10K EUR class amps on the market in sonic finesse and depth)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    bluemooze likes this.
  9. Mo-Tech

Slot in exactly the same tubes in 8- and 4-tube amps since EVO300 and EVO400 are quite similar in topology and tell me your impressions.

10. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

My Evo300 runs fabulously the 86db efficient Proac Tablette 10 speakers. Mind you, they are 86db at 10 Ohms and my listening room is medium-sized. Rolled in some serious 12AU7 tubes and since then, I'm in the pink.

Echoes Myron and Mo-Tech like this.
  11. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

Hi,
    What is the source of this...thanks...just wondering if it is in every country etc.

Thanks

12. Classic Car Guy

Kevin Primaluna USA

DryWhiteToast likes this.
  13. Classic Car Guy

:thumbsup:

14. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I don't have a dealer nearby to try this. What were your impressions when you did this?

JohnK

15. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

= Joint Army/NAVY

Mo-Tech likes this.
  16. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Upscale audio.

17. Classic Car Guy

Besides the manual on line, you should be getting all the works including a pair of white gloves. If you didn't that's a shang-hai pass.:doh:
    However,, that's a good size amp. I was stunned even using the earlier version. The sound of my amp has drastically changed over 300+ hours. I didn't touch anything nor change any tubes. Its gotten so smooth and bigger dynamics.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  18. Mo-Tech

I haven't had a chance to compare them side-by-side as well since my speakers demanded the more powerful amp but I'd sure bet the 8 tubes will bring forth more "tube" character sound than a "half-tubed" number amp in comparison on pure physics alone (how the signal goes through and gets amplified by the tubes).

19. Nero

Nero Rega - Oppo - Luxman - Sonus Faber.

I have large speakers (audiovector R6) so the EVO 400 must be the right model for me. My only concern is the heat. how much heat wil it produce compare to my current A/B amp?
    And heat cant be the only difference between the 300 and the 400.

20. Mo-Tech

I have ampermeter connected to my HP (same power consumption as Evo400) it’s around 300 watts on normal use, peaks roundabout at 340 watts on max listening levels. Thus an equivalent of a rather very tiny heater (heaters here are 2000 watts or more) and the amp is often on half a day or full day. No issue what so ever with the heat.

Mid sized room and northern Europe climate so some more heat would be welcome though :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  21. Nero

Nero Rega - Oppo - Luxman - Sonus Faber.

Ok thanks for your info.
    I will have a home demo next month with the EVO 400 and a Luxman L509 to compare with.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  22. I don´t know that answer, I was never concerned about hot with A/B amps, but when it´s already hot, my PL adds more hot, and you really notice it, and if it´s not that hot, it won´t get hot just for the amp... In winter it helps though. It might add 1 or 2 celcius to the room (don´t know how to say it in farenheit) I think, I don´t think it´s more than that... Again, if it´s 40º already without the amp, you wouldn´t want 42º

23. Classic Car Guy

The primaluna is a great amp. The only thing that I'm not digging is the advance / industrial look especially with the cage on. I just prefer the classic look. But majority loves it. Still is a great amp!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  24. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I run mine cage-free. Looks better and easier dusting.

Mo-Tech likes this.
  25. Mo-Tech

I have kids in the house, the cage is God-sent practical saving those nice tubes from those hasty small greasy hands and also good for avoiding burnt fingers when it's on. :)

Cover is off on late evening listening and parties with friends, looks better indeed.