PrimaLuna Evolution Series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jeremy B., Mar 26, 2019.

1. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

Kubidemon likes this.
  2. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

For those that have heard or compared or own....hmmm, not a complete sentence or proper grammar, I know....
    the EVO 300 or 400 what is the real difference in sound?

I know the 400 has 4 more output tubes and extra wattage but how would that translate into the difference in sound?

Would the bass be that much more prominent in the 400? Would the soundstage be affected in any way?

I guess the 400 would also drive less efficient speakers in an easier fashion.

I have had a bit of research fatigue comparing the 300 and 400 and um, another amp which is another discussion lol. Ok, the Unison Research Triode 25 lol.

Take Care

3. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

I'm thinking of buying some NOS 12AU7s for my Evo 300 power amp and I wonder if I should seek the least noisy pair for the input gain tubes like I would do with pre-amp tubes or it does not make much of a difference in the poweramp's case? On the Upscale Audio page, for instance, you have different price tags on the same batch of tubes, based on their quietness and how they measure. Thank you

4. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

I haven't compared the 300 vs. the 400 directly, but I recently bought an Evo 400 to replace my beloved integrated tube amp (a Raven Blackhawk) that has similar specs to the 300. The Evo 400 indeed delivers more bass to my speakers and it feels like I'm getting a bigger soundstage at lower volume.

My new quandary is to figure out how to remove the low-frequency feedback when I play a record at a loud level...

DryWhiteToast likes this.
  5. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

I bought Evo 400 preamp earlier this year, paired it w/ Benchmark AHB2, liked the sound this combination produced. But a month or so ago preamp died on me, it won’t power up. Changing fuse won’t help, so I took it to the dealer for service. They gave me McInstosh C2600 for a loaner. I liked the sound, but couldn’t wait to get PL back. Once I did, I couldn’t stand it anymore. Boomy, extremely dirty highs. I went from listening for 16 hours a day to not being able to sit thru an album side. I thought maybe I’m imagining things, so after 2 weeks of struggling asked to take C2600 back just to make sure I’m not imagining things… Long story short, I don’t know which model of McIntosh I’m keeping, 2600 or 2700, but I’m done w/ PL for sure.

bluesaddict likes this.
  6. Hudo

Hudo Forum Resident

Did sound change after the service? Since you lived with it for a few months before the malfunction and repair.
    I compared previous generation of preamps with few other brands, and never noticed extra boominess or dirty highs, so interesting observation.

7. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

Well, all I can say is that I would never buy an equipment that sounds this way, it is not the sound I'm after. So, even though it is impossible to answer w/ 100% certainty, I'm willing to say that the sound did change after service.
    I actually asked what happened and what was done. The only answer I got is that it is a known problem and all early released units exhibit it. Like having company supposed to make me feel better. But I don't know whether they were talking about the whole series or this particular model.

8. Why didn’t you complain about the service? I’ve never heard about a PrimaLuna being boomy. They might have a lack of bass and/or be a litle bright right out of the box and with the stock tubes, but boomy?

bluesaddict likes this.
  9. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

I'm not the type who complains, I call it "share the experience". And I did share w/ my dealer. Upscale suggested keeping PL on for a few days. I did. It didn't change a thing. Then my dealer offered me an exchange to a brand new PL Evo 400. But after living w/ 2600 for 3 weeks, and now 2700 for 3 weeks I simply have no interest. McIntosh offers me so much more. Not only the overall sound, but also DAC and phono preamp, both are spectacular.

bluesaddict likes this.
  10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I've had my new 300 for a few weeks now and love it. My new dedicated listening room does have some challenges with loud and obvious pinging reflections/echos. I have GIK treatment panels ordered, but the turnaround time is close to two months.

[​IMG]

11. JM1911

JM1911 Well-Known Member

OK, this may sound like a dumb question but here goes. After having SS amps all my life I replaced a 18 year old Classe Audio separates with a new PrimaLuna EVO 300 integrated at the end of August. I went with integrated to keep it simple. I must say I absolutely love it. The sound is amazing, lush, open, detailed and the bass is amazing going to my 18 year old B&W CDM9NT. So it has really gotten me back into audio and music. So how do I know if I have enough power? Basically, before my 60 day return period ends, I know this sounds crazy, but how do I know if I should step up to the EVO 400? Right now it is driving my B&W's fine. At about 1/3 volume it is plenty. I don't listen at real high volumes much, and when I have pushed it, it had no problem, other than my room being big, hard and bright (working with GIK acoustics on some panels and treatment). I am using the 4 ohm taps on the B&W's and at lower volumes it runs fine, decent bass, but then I go to the next notch on remote for volume and everything opens up. Is that a sign I need more power to drive at lower volume? I am planning on upgrading my B&W's next year, looking at Sonus Faber Sonetto V or Focal Aria 948. I really don't have the extra to move to the EVO 400 which is why I went to the 300, but if it is going to make a big difference I can make the funds work and still add some room acoustic treatment. Or is my EVO 300 plenty even if I upgrade my speakers next year?

12. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

I've got the DiaLogue Premium Integrated and the Focal 1008be2 on the 4 ohm taps. I have absolutely no problem with the sound and how much power I have. If you want to try the KT150's they will give you a bit more oomph in the bass and highs. when I put in the KT77s (similar to the el34's) there is a difference in sound a little more lush midrange.
    What size room are they in? Mine is 12X16 with 9' ceilings.

13. JM1911

JM1911 Well-Known Member

My room is a big newly finished basement that is overall 33' x30' 9' ceilings, all drywalled and laminate floor, which is why I am getting some acoustic panels from GIK. Now there is a partial divider in the middle where the stairway comes down, so the side where the stereo is on is about 17' wide. I don't play to fill the room, but the area where I listen which has sofa and chairs has plenty of volume at 1/4 to 1/3 volume. I am really enjoying the lush sound of the EL34's and have thought about rolling some others. A lot of what I hear when I hear people talk about KT120 or 150 is the extra dynamics and punch but a slight loss of the beautiful EL34 midrange so I am hesitant as that is a big factor for my taste. So back to my power thing, it sounds like I already have all the power I need and out that money towards room treatment and new speakers next year???

Synthfreek likes this.
  14. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

That's a big room, by Brooklyn standards ;) .
    Regarding tube rolling, the driver tubes will have an effect on the sound as well, so if you roll in a couple of NOS Mullards, with the 150s you might be able to keep the mids with the extra power and punch of the 150's.

Since you're happy with the sound and loudness level with your B&W CDM9NT, you're already pushing a few larger drivers, you should have no trouble with the focal's though the impedance dips a little lower than the B&W's.

If you can going with the 400 will assure you'll have enough power though you wallet will suffer.

best of luck

JM1911 likes this.
  15. Kubidemon

Kubidemon Well-Known Member

JM1911 - small world and its good to see you here! I had the same predicament before purchasing the evo400i. There was a demo evo300i available for $1500 less than the 400 and Upscale said there was no need for the extra power. I knew how my mind would play the what-if card so just went with the evo 400i. I had Focal Aria 936s back then, and considered the 948s before returning the 936s for the Sopra 2s. I think you will be fine staying with the 300i, but you can never go wrong with the additional headroom if funds allow - especially if the seed of doubt is firmly planted already.

If it were me I would put the extra $1k towards speakers, but this is the guy with the evo400i talking.

16. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

You'll likely get much greater bang for your buck by spending your money elsewhere in your system as opposed to upgrading to the 400.

17. I think you're fine with the 300. I run a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Integrated (older version of EVO300) with focal 948 and I hardly pass 9 o'clock, 10 at the most.
    Also, if you ever decide to try different power tubes, just for fun, any tube you'd want to try would cost the double.

OC Zed likes this.
  18. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

@JM1911 if you're happy with the volume (and sound) you're getting with the Evo400 and the relatively average efficient B&W speakers, you'll be fine with the significantly higher efficient Focals. They do have a variable impedence curve but the PL won't struggle. The Sonus Faber will likely present to the amp very similar to the B&W.

I have separate Evo400 preamp and poweramp. If I had to do it again I would choose the Evo300 for poweramp for the simple fact that power is absolutely a non-issue with my average efficiency Revel speakers. Not a bad thing, of course, but I kind of want to play around with different power tubes, and that gets bloody expensive with 8 sockets to fill.

I expect I would not notice the difference in sound or the loss of power in going to the Evo300. And, in fact, when I upgrade speakers in the near future I will be looking for something a little more dynamic and efficient anyway.

Just my opinion anyway.

Cheers,
    Robert

ogdens_sliced and Stonegarden71 like this.
  19. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

20. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

That looks glorious. How would you describe the change in sound with the new tubes?

21. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

The tubes I had been using were Psvane EL34PHs, and they were really awesome. So far I only have 15 hours on these tubes, so it's still early. So far I am enjoying the added bass control. I wouldn't say the bass is extended over the Psvanes, there was plenty of bass, but the dampening is improved. The bass is more taut, quicker. The treble is extended with these tubes, and that is something that makes some recordings sound a little shrill. But I am right now thinking that the fault lies with the recordings, not the tubes. After all, I do want the truth, warts and all... But these may yet smooth out some in the upper registers.

22. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

Very sexy.

nelamvr6 likes this.
  23. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

I would assume that the overall sound profile, particularly in the treble, should smooth out after 100 hours of burn-in, right?

24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

frequent shrill sound or even occasionally is something you do not have to tolerate. give the tubes time but do not be afraid to try something else.

25. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

It's probable. I wouldn't say they're harsh. Actually I am starting to recognize that the tubes are really awesome, just more revealing than the EL34s I had been using.