PrimaLuna Evolution Series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jeremy B., Mar 26, 2019.

1. Kubidemon

Kubidemon Well-Known Member

Zurv - Could not help but notice that you had IsoAcoustics Oreas under the PL. I just replaced the EVO 400 integrated feet with the Orea Bordeaux, and followed IsoAcoustic’s recommendation to use 3 of them - 2 in the back as the weight is lopsided, and instead of 2 in the front like yours, only 1 in the front center. What a difference! I was skeptical and not expecting the improvement in sound that I heard. Phenomenal. Curious to see which Oreas you have and your feedback on a similar setup.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  2. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

What a space saving design! I love the concept.
    Agree. kt150 Its best on winter.

3. Baci

Baci Well-Known Member

Is anyone using an external preamp through the HT inputs on an integrated? I'm wondering if it leads to significant improvement or whether the pre-amp stage in the integrated (Evo 30o in my case) is optimal.

Surely if the Evo 300 tube pre-amp costs almost as much as the Evo 300 integrated, then the preamp stage in the integrated could be improved upon?

Interested in your experience.

4. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

I’ve been considering adding some isolation/absorption to my PL. Had you tried other methods/products prior to your IsoAcoustics (e.g., a butcher block)?

Also, do your IsoAcoustics actually screw into the PL in place of the existing feet or do you simply rest them along the bottom?

5. Kubidemon

OCZ - The Oreas are designed to be placed directly under the PL or other device (not under existing feet, but in place of). There is no screw. This is why selecting the right Orea model based on weight limit is important, because it forms a stable, suction cup type of attachment to both the PL as well as to the bottom surface. Might seem gimmicky but absolutely makes a significant difference to the sound in my setup.

HiFi Guy and OC Zed like this.
  6. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

Cool, good to know. I have the IsoAcoustic Gaias under my speakers so am familiar with their high product quality.

One more question - I'm assuming the Oreas don't have the potential to stain surfaces like some other acoustic treatment footing? That would be a nice benefit if so.

7. Kubidemon

No staining so far. I also replied to your other question but it somehow embedded it in the quote section:-(

I have the Gaia 1s under my floor standers as well (love it) and the Orea graphite under an Oppo bdp95 player (with positive results). Pay very close attention to the weight and use their product selector tool. I used the heavier rated orea bronze for my oppo and the sound quality deteriorated. Switching to the graphites swung it back the other way. Incredible actually.

OC Zed likes this.
  8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I have an EVO 300 on its way. I just moved into my new home here in Colorado and I decided to part with my PrimaLuna pre/monoblocks and replace them with an integrated. This allowed me to condense my two audio racks down to one. Since I'll be in a much smaller area, I thought this would help. I'm still not sure how a pair of Cornwalls are going to work in an 11' x 11' ft room though. I'll post pics when everything is in its right place.

I'm sitting in my new workspace now with a clear shot of Cheyenne Mountain and the surrounding peaks. I have to say, this is much nicer than the office life.
    [​IMG]

9. kdejonge

kdejonge Forum Resident

Interesting, I also have the Focal 936 and planning to get an EVO 200 shortly. The focals are set to 8 ohm in the specs, why would 4 ohm sound better? (just want to learn).

Coming from a Rotel ra-12 so I hope on a big difference

10. Well, if it's worth to you, I have a Primaluna Dialogue Integrated (Old evo 300) and I run it with a pair of Focal 948 (similar ratings than 936's but two 8' woofers instead of three 6') and I think it sounds better in the 8 ohm tap.

About your Rotel ra-12, before I got my PrimaLuna almost 3 years ago, I had a Rotel ra-1520, still have it, but it's stored because I decided to replace all my three working amps in my house for tubes. It's too much difference for me. But I was never that happy with my Rotel anyway, to begin with.

kdejonge and HiFi Guy like this.
  11. Classic Car Guy

Crank up the volume!

[​IMG]

12. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

I would love to hear that amp with those tubes in place!

13. Classic Car Guy

how about 2 -EL34 in the left channel and 2-KT120 on the right?

14. DryWhiteToast

And then the seizure started to take hold and the old man's life changed forever.

Kubidemon and ggergm like this.
  15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I just upgraded from a DiaLogue Premium HP amplifier to the EVO 300 amp. I didn’t need all of the HP power and heat (plus the future cost of replacing 8 power tubes). This is my fourth PL amp (the HP, and a Five and Four before it), plus I have the ProLogue premium preamp, so I’m pretty familiar with PL sound and benefits.

When I first installed the 300 in the system there was a very noticeable hum through the speakers, independent of volume. A bit of investigation indicated a ground loop, solved by a cheater plug on the power cord. I have not communicated with PL on this, but it did surprise me even though this kind of hum is mentioned in the owner’s manual, and I hadn't had the issue with three previous PL power amps.

New out of the box bass was noticeably diminished, and the top end a bit crisp, but now in about 50 hours it's coming into what I expect. I sold on the HP, so I don't have it to compare, but the EVO seems at least as good, and I expect it will continue to improve over the next couple of weeks.

JohnK

M.R.Collins and Classic Car Guy like this.
  16. Classic Car Guy

I use the old prologue which is the same era as your HP. When I got the EVO 200 right away I notice the highs. The rest of the ingredients is the same. But to me it doesn't really matter because I use an old-old 1/3 octave eq. so when I fire it up, I can filter pretty much almost any frequency. Sometimes I don't even know its on or in defeat mode.

17. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

I noticed a similar loud humm/buzz on my PL EVO 300 when I upgraded my power cables and interconnects which I also solved with the cheater plug. For what it's worth, the noise was apparent on my Yamaha solid state amp as well so it's not exclusive to the PL. There were a few posts in here on that topic a few pages up in case you're interested.

18. JM1911

JM1911 Well-Known Member

Kubidemon, I have been considering adding these to my new EVO 300 integrated, however its a big chunk to swallow for a tweak. Are you using 3 or 4 of the Bordeaux? Can you please elaborate a little on what sonic impacts you noticed? Thanks! Also curious to see what @Zurv has to say about which ones and the difference between 3 or 4.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    OC Zed likes this.
  19. kdejonge

kdejonge Forum Resident

I just returned from the dealer with a EVO 200. All I can say is WOW, now I finally hear what my Focals can do compared to the simple Rotel I had before. So much music.

The dealer recommend to use the 8 Ohm tap which I have done. haven't played much, first enjoy all my records again :).

OC Zed and Kubidemon like this.
  20. JM1911

JM1911 Well-Known Member

Echos Myron, did you find you liked the 4 ohm better with your B&W's? My EVO 300 integrated is new, 3 weeks now and I have not played around with the 4 vs 8 ohm yet. Maybe I will do that tonight. I am using older B&W CDM9NT's. When I first got the EVO 300 I was stunned at how great my B&W's sounded, I never knew they had that much bass.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  21. DryWhiteToast

Congratulations!!!!!!

Kubidemon and kdejonge like this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

4 ohm all the way...at the 8 ohm tap the frequency response was too bright without a lush midrange. When I switched to the 4 ohm, it was like everything shifted down an octave. The midrange was perfect, no brightness, and great bass. I was kicking myself for not making that change sooner.

Also these amps and tubes need like 12 months to break in--seriously! Once you get there it is like magic, the midrange just blooms.

ogdens_sliced likes this.
  23. Kubidemon

kdejonge -first off, congratulations! Secondly, not sure which Focals you have but Kevin Deal told me directly to try the 4-ohm taps on my Focal Aria 936s and went on to confidently say that I would like it. He was spot on. Never looked back since, even though I swapped out the Aria 936s with the Sopra 2s. Definitely give the 4 ohm and 8 ohm taps a listen but don’t A/B them with rapid switches in between. Run each through some extended sessions with mixed music and let your ears decide.

kdejonge likes this.
  24. Kubidemon

JM1911 - I made a few changes all at once so cannot isolate the benefits to a single change. However, I can definitively tell you that adding the Orea Bordeaux underneath the PL added a sense of focus to the overall sound and clarity to the Mid-low frequency spectrum. With the 4 oreas in place, I felt as if the front two Oreas were not being depressed as much and I did not hear that much of a difference in sound. Then I changed to 3 and the oreas balanced the weight of the PL much better. The sound was different between the 3s and 4s but I am unable to articulate it for you. I stuck with the three as it sounded best to me.

Looks wise, the 4 oreas are aesthetically more pleasing.

Try it out and buy from Amazon. Hassle free returns. Nothing to lose.

OC Zed and JM1911 like this.
  25. kdejonge

kdejonge Forum Resident

Thanks, will do for sure and report back.

Kubidemon likes this.