Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

2. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

3. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It's on the Prince YouTube channel:
    [I removed the YouTube link as MemoInPR also posted it]

Are they secretly preparing a Prince Deluxe as well...?

Cool version, I'll work on that for the camp fire. :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  4. I don't think it's a secret that they are preparing a lot of Prince releases. I'd love to take a look at their roadmap. :)

Matthew Tate and Lance LaSalle like this.
  5. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

I Feel For You (Acoustic Demo) 7" Exclusive Limited Edition | Shop the Prince Official Store

In honor of the 40th anniversary of Prince’s second album, Prince—which was released on October 19, 1979—The Prince Estate and Warner Records are pleased to announce the surprise release of a previously unheard, solo acoustic demo recording of the Grammy-winning Prince track “I Feel for You,” available on streaming services and as a limited-run 7” vinyl single.

The new two-track 7" includes the acoustic demo of “I Feel for You” on the A-side and the original studio recording on the B-side, pressed on commemorative purple vinyl.

The special, stripped-down demo recording captures a 20-year-old Prince in a raw, intimate moment, and begins with the sound of the artist pressing the record button on a cassette tape recorder and picking up an acoustic guitar. The recording was created in the winter of 1978-1979, around the time Prince was preparing to make his solo debut at the Capri Theater in North Minneapolis, and it was recently rediscovered on one of the countless cassette tapes stored in his legendary vault.

The fully produced, studio recording of “I Feel For You” was included on Prince’s second album, Prince. It would become a hit a few years later, when it was covered by Chaka Khan and released as the title track of her solo album, I Feel for You, in 1984. Her version, which featured a cameo by the rapper Melle Mel, became a Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 and earned two Grammys—including a Grammy Award for Best R&B Song that honored Prince’s contributions as songwriter.

Side AI Feel For You (Acoustic Demo)
    Side BI Feel For You (Original Studio Recording)

This Limited Edition 7” will be Made To Order and is exclusive to Prince.com - available to purchase for 7 days only. Production will commence at conclusion of onsale period and we anticipate shipping to take place in mid January.

If you would like to purchase additional items from the store beyond the 7” we recommend placing a separate order for those items to ensure they ship immediately - anything purchased along with the 7” will not ship until the 7” vinyl is completed.

6. Good job of sniffing this out, Wayne.

I'm torn. Buy this and get a pro rip of the vinyl or hold out for what will hopefully be release on CD later? I'm not a big vinyl collector. I'm thinking this will come out at a later time. Hmmm...

7. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Torn here as well. On the one hand, I'd rather get these tracks on CD with an eventual expanded album. On the other hand, this is a cool item, and I do have a large collection of Prince 45s from back in the day.

Oh, well. I just went to the shop and pre-ordered it. $21.64 with shipping and tax. Not crazy expensive, but still pretty pricey for a 7" single. I can justify it by telling myself that early Prince is my favorite Prince.

8. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

This is a nice release. I think I'll skip on the 7".

After not long ago getting Originals, Chaos and Emancipation on vinyl and with 1999 deluxe vinyl on pre oder I've spent quite a Princely sum on Prince of late.

Any idea how much they charge for shipping to the UK?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Wayne Hubbard

I already ripped the audio from the YouTube video. :D

That will do for now, in case it does not get a digital release. The product description I posted says the vinyl is limited. It doesn't specify if it will continue to be available on streaming services after the 7 day window.

I hope the estate is not going to put out limited edition releases like this where songs are only not going to be available anywhere else. There was enough of that when Prince was alive. They have the chance to make a (somewhat) coherent catalog going forward without leaving strays here and there.

I don't know if there is a deluxe version of the 2nd album in the works. If they have more acoustic tracks like IFFY, they may go for a Prince unplugged type album. It is almost guaranteed a release like that will come out at some point.

This part of the press release stuck out to me

The recording was created in the winter of 1978-1979, around the time Prince was preparing to make his solo debut at the Capri Theater in North Minneapolis, and it was recently rediscovered on one of the countless cassette tapes stored in his legendary vault.

Anyone more versed in Prince's unreleased music care to chime in on whether this demo track was previously unknown.

There is no mention of it in the entry on the Prince Vault website.
    I Feel For You - Prince Vault

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

11. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Great demo!

I kinda wonder how this demo will be released in the future (after the limited 7").
    Looking at the press release I guess it will be on Originals 2... following the same route as Nothing Compares 2 U.

hiterss and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Well, that solves that! I'll just buy from Tidal. :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. tonysp

tonysp Forum Resident

I think it was $13 postage. Too much for me especially when customs will kick in and Royal Mail will add the £8 charge for actually informing you of the customs charge.

I wish they had a European store.

14. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

Me too - being in Australia - sucks the estate forget there are people outside of U.S. that love Prince :-(

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I just went ahead and pre-ordered this thing. Depending on your buying needs, there's plenty of ways to get a great deal on this.

Over at Target, they're doing a buy 2 and get 1 free promotion for select music and movies (lots of Criterion Blu-Rays that are discounted, by the way), and this set is actually among the items.

At Amazon, they have a promotion where if you spend $50 and apply at least 1 Discover Cashback point (i.e. use your points to pay at least 1 cent), you get a $10 discount, and on top of that, you get another 5% cashback on what you actually charge with your Discover Card.

Regardless of what way you choose, it shouldn't be hard to get a deal on this.

Electric Sydney and April Snow like this.
  16. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

Yes so long as you are in America :)
    I contacted Target US to see if they would ship the Originals CD to Australia as I wanted the bonus track - but NO they would not -
    thankfully another Prince fan was happy to send me a copy, but it is frustrating for fans that are not U.S. Based :-(

17. Wayne Hubbard

18. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I love that cover with the tape box! Little glimpse into the vault.

BlueGangsta and Wayne Hubbard like this.
  19. Wayne Hubbard

It will be cool to hear the early version of the other song listed on the tape box.

It was re-recorded and released on Graffiti Bridge.

There's also a version recorded with The Revolution in 1986. Hopefully that will show up in the future. It will be interesting how the Estate tackles that time period. Well they put all the material on an expanded Sign o' The Times or try and recreate the canceled Dream Factory/Crystal Ball projects. I have a feeling that will be the last big release from Warner next year before everything (minus the soundtracks) goes to Sony. Parade fits in there somewhere too. Since Warner keeps control of the album, they may not be in a hurry to put that out yet.

bataclan2002 and Bfunkthe1 like this.
  20. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Neat song! I can maybe see why it got cut from the projects at the time though. Not incredibly memorable or novel, compared to the other stuff he was making at the time. Still, I'm thrilled that we get to have it now!

21. This must have a been a track for The Hookers/Vanity. That's what it sounds like to me, anyway.

True to the time period, Prince is vamping on long-form dance tracks, which is what endears me so much to 1999. This was booty shaking music. Not all of it needed a ton of chord changes or vocal melodies; it just needed to keep people on the dance floor. Of course the 1999 album is much better than the common dance fare, because Prince is Prince, but it's very obvious that he wanted people to bump and grind. That's what "Don't Let Him Fool Ya" demonstrates, as well.

It's not the best track but it does its duty.

22. Say, did anyone order from Amazon and get a notification that it comes out on December 3rd now?

TheLoveDrags and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I still have a release date of 11/29 on my order.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Me 2

905 likes this.
  25. You too, what? Showing Dec 3rd or 11/29?

When did you guys order? I ordered on Sept 11th, so they couldn't be pushing me back to a later order.

TheLoveDrags likes this.