Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I feel like around this time of year Prime (if that is what you have)...it's hard to get a guaranteed shipment within the two day window. In fact, even with Prime, they are using dates further out. Or sometimes you'll just get the "we're sorry about the delay" messages once in a while, too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Yeah, I hear you. I pre-ordered this thing in September hoping to have it on release day. When they sent me an email a couple weeks ago saying it was due yesterday, I didn't think much of the couple day delay. When I spoke with them yesterday, they kept telling me it was stuck at the fulfillment center, whatever that means. I just wanted to make sure they weren't going to turn around and say, "oh sorry, we can't get it" and cancel the order. I had a similar experience with book I ordered about a week before this, that made it as far as fulfillment center an hour away from my house and then it said they couldn't deliver it. I had to cancel and and re-order.

In any case, I pestered them yesterday and they gave me a $5 credit (big whoop), but finally got a shipping notice that said it was going to be delivered tomorrow, but after checking it again recently, looks like it got bumped up to delivery today :pineapple:

Boomy and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

While I think it makes sense to not sit on ordering this if you want it, Amazon is still showing it as $225 with delivery on Monday

www.amazon.com/1999-Super-Deluxe-10LP-1DVD/dp/B07XPRD4S4

and at least one major distributor shows that they have some copies left.

4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Heads-up: I did not receive my Pre-Order Price Guarantee from Amazon on this set. I ordered it at $260-something, and the price dropped to $207 at some point. I had to ask for the refund.

thesisinbold likes this.
  5. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

As I've been listening to the outtakes over the past couple days via Spotify, nothing really feels album worthy to me... or at least, not this album. I love "Possessed", "Purple Music" (so cool but seems unfinished) and "Moonbeam Levels," but I can't see them replacing anything on 1999. Maybe, just maybe I'd replace "Free" with "Moonbeam Levels." ;)[/QUOTE]

Very good observation...i made the same. Initially, I felt the vault tracks were really good but were not good enough to replace anything off of 1999. However, i've been playing the vault tracks a lot and my view is changing. Yes, they don't fit on the 1999 album's sound but there are some killer songs here. As another friend said, the vault songs seem to be him 'shedding the Controversy' sound. I totally agree...more raw/guitar etc. He could have put another album out post Controversy, pre 1999 with Rearrange, Do Yourself a Favour, Bold Generation, Possessed, Iresistable B, Feel U Up, If it'll Make you Happy, Vag, Teacher Teacher ....if you tacked on the b sides like How Come U Don't and HOrny Toad....the album would have been KILLER~!~

Genius...truly a once in a lifetime genius.

6. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Someone was complaining upthread that the vinyl box was snugly packed at the bottom.

CBackley likes this.
  7. CBackley

Mine was VERY snugly packed. Ugh.

8. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

9. CBackley

Would a packing situation like that result in bowl-shaped warps? I can see that making an edge warp or even a more sustained wave. But so far in my set nearly every LP is warped so one side is fine but the other side doesn’t lay flat on the edge of the platter. There’s visible and substantial space between the record surface and the platter.

TonyCzar and Matthew Tate like this.

10. Yes, possibly it could be how they come off the stampers and how they sets are being built. With ten LPs being needed are the sets being built in short time in multiple runs or over a longer period of multiple runs. How quickly are they cooled and sleeved. How are they held and boxed, immediately or as they are being built into a set. There are a lot more variables and vulnerabilities because of set size. Does anyone know who is doing the pressing(s)?

Eric_Generic likes this.
  11. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is it just the first two records?

I had a problem with two records from one of the Kate Bush box sets, and Rhino replaced the records for me at no cost, and I didn't have to send the faulty records back. It took a few months but it all worked in the end. Perhaps contact Dr. Rhino? That might be better than risking more problems in a replacement set.

CBackley and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. CBackley

So far it is all 7 of the LPs I’ve listened to. One side warped, the other pretty much fine.

13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

When people talk about "the Estate" in this context, who or what are they referring to exactly?

I'm sure Sony will do Deluxe Editions of some sort, but I'm not so sure they will do them exactly like Warner, they have different approaches to these things. I also expect them to redo what Warner have already done, in some form or other, as they will want to exploit the same material once it is theirs.

I have no idea, but I would assume Warner would want to get something more out that is connected to material they will soon loose the rights to, and Sign would be an obvious candidate. If they have a Parade Deluxe in the pipeline (as someone suggested) I would expect them to hold that back for later, since there is no rush with that.

Sony do not have the rights to anything from before 1995 yet.

Turntable and CBackley like this.
  14. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

:agree:

15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Just played four songs from edits/B-sides.

1) They all sounded great.

2) Re: The earlier question of "Who needs 7" edits?" When it's "Automatic", I do! (Hey!)

16. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Yes. I really liked that 7"

17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

OMG Detroit just gets better every time I play it. We've always deserved something better sounding than those old cassettes from the 80s. It really makes a difference. It's not just audio snobbery.

(WORK IT!)

(DO ME BABY!!)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    superstar19, azjvm05 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Can’t believe how beautiful this set is..
    20 sides of Prince funk in one OFFICIAL box!

Never thought I’d see the day...

Lewisboogie, ad180, Izozeles and 4 others like this.
  19. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

Has anyone else noticed the obvious clicks in the right channel on the live version of "Head" from the Detroit concert disc? They start around 40 seconds when both the bass drum and bass guitar hit at the same time. Kind of annoying, but otherwise, the live album is superb.

As others have said, there are so many great Vault tracks included! I think some of them would've made the original album stronger had they been included. Has anyone made a 1-disc (2 LP) playlist (including Vault tracks) that they think works better than the original sequencing?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

That’s typical dish warping. The Vinyl Flat device works great on that. I consider that a minor inconvenience now.

Bad sound and surface noise/nonfill can’t be fixed. Luckily, warping can.

superstar19 likes this.
  21. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

I give it a go.

Side one

Little Red Corvette
    Delirious

Side two

Let's Pretend We're Married
    Possessed

Side Three

Automatic
    Purple Music
    Something In The Water (album version)

Side Four

Lady Cab Driver
    All The Critics
    Moonbeam Levels.

crimsondonkey and croquetlawns like this.
  22. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Hi
    No D.M.S.R.? That's the heart of the record for me

23. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Yep. It’s strange they chose that track to leave off on the first cd issue.

sekaer and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

They did? Am I mistaken or wasn’t it prominently featured in “Risky Business”?

25. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Actually, it's my least-favourite track on the album - I find that it drags on forever...