Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It's all over the place. I noticed it when I cranked the record the other day and listened thru headphones. Pretty much any loud section has some distortion from the compression. Some of it could be old analog compression distortion bumped up to annoying levels by the layer of modern digital compression plastered over everything.

I don't think it's possible to get to a DR of 8 without substantial distortion, unless maybe you're just compressing the bass or something (even then you'd have distortion, it just might not be all that noticeable/annoying). For example, the original CD of ELO's Time from 1997 has a DR of 11, which means it's probably identical to the original vinyl which measured at 12 (vinyl cut from the same master often measures slightly higher, for reasons). Time is crazy, notably distorted. We know that Time was the result of multiple passess thru old analog compressors, because Lynne and his engineer Mack had something of a falling out over it (Jeff wanted it louder - sound familiar?).

Modern digital compression can squash the DR a bit more without nasty artifacts, but not all the way down to 8. And of course some tracks on this new 1999 score under 8, which is distortion city. The average is 8. The original vinyl and CD measure 14 average, and that was after analog compression.

It's too bad they didn't take the approach of the 2013 HDTracks release, which had no compression. No additional compression with this EQ would sound phenomenal.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

I don't believe you can get rid of the distortion I of...like Little Red vocals. This guy recorded in his home studio and there just was not the same care you would expect paid.

3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The distortion is definitely worse on this master, especially in the louder parts.

George P likes this.
  4. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

You may be right (or wrong) but this remaster is satisfying...I barely ever played that original cd in many many years. In fact...a vinyl RIP I got mybhanss on years ago is what i occasionally played. Now, this is def my go to.

It is alive. Best news is that the estate resurrected themselves after that terrible Purple Rain remaster.

Is it me or do some of the vault tracks actually sound better than the 1999 remaster songs?

5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I listened to the HDTracks versions of the title track, DMSR, and Automatic - with the channels swapped on the HDTracks to match the remaster and with those three cuts I didn't hear any distortion present that wasn't on the HDTracks version - although that was just those 3 tracks on my m50x's so I need to give it a proper listen in its entirety. The remaster is louder however I am not at least on those 3 hearing any additional distortion, per my cans and ears of course

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

these R gorgeous

7. NotTimCurry

NotTimCurry Forum Resident

Perhaps the fallout and chaos from 1999 had finally reached the cab driver?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

I agree the mix on the vault tracks is great, as it is on the Originals release.

I think it's the same person.

Matthew Tate and April Snow like this.
  9. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

No Lady Cab Driver or Delirious?!? :tsk:

Matthew Tate and sekaer like this.
  10. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

Nik Bolas mixed this and Originals. I think what the sound tells us is that the source tapes are of varying quality. On Originals, some of it sounds FANTASTIC . I'm thinking of 'Baby You're A Trip'. However, some of it does not..I think of '100 M.P.H'. On 1999, I'm happy to say that most of it sounds awesome.

I don't believe Nik Bolas was involved with the Purple Rain vault tracks. We know that Prince himself oversaw the PR remaster...which stinks. From discussions with past engineers, I know he did not care about the sound like we do :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

As noted, I gave 'Delirious' its own album. And 'Lady Cab Driver'? Sorry, but that's always been the third weakest song on the album for me, and it's only that high because 'Free' and 'International Lover' are really ordinary.

Lance LaSalle and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

Always get a kick out of different fan's opinions on his music. I absolutely LOVE lady Cab Driver...the melody...funk. his awesome playing I actually always felt his drumming in this is a great display of what he could do..

13. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

I love "International Lover" - I think it is quirky and super fun - maybe coz I am female and it just makes my dial smile :)

14. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

I love it too...he out a lot of effort into those vocals (hot a 1983 Grammy nod too). What I didn't know until now was that this song was meant for Morris Day and the Time. It totally makes sense. The over the top comedic lyrics...

But to hear Prince on piano and Morris on drums doing it (take 1) is just like we are listening in in to a private snippet. Awesome...and the sound is so damn good.

15. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

Totally agree, it is wonderful - I love the way you can hear Prince having a chuckle whilst singing it too - it is fantastic stuff

16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

The vault version really redeems the finished product, which a lot of people have found silly for so long. Once you hear it in its rough run-through phase, and hear him invoke Morris' name in the lyric, and get that feel for its intent as being a Morris Day/The Time schtick, and get that feel of it being a work in progress as Prince directs Morris wrt the cymbals and the ending... it really turns a bunch of things upside down.

And it's just a great little 5-6 minutes of your life while it's playing. Love this box.

17. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

So right....I always felt International Lover didn't belong on this album. I also found it totally over the top of with the 'Seduction 747' references...'this is your captain Prince speaking' etc. I loved the song mainly b/c of his vocals...the screaming is some of his best. Now that I know it was for The Time...it makes total sense. I listen to all of this and and amazed yet again that this guy was a MONUMENTAL talent. There just hasn't been anyone with this level of talent and I can't think of anyone coming up either.

I listen to Rearrange and I'm blown away. Yes, I also hear the Lady Cab Driver guitar lick but this song blows me away. I've said this before, he had supreme confidence in himself to be able to shelve a song of this quality for what turned out to be his whole life. I have read that he pulled this one out in 1988 but not sure what happened to it.

April Snow and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Prince, from the notes to the Vault Tracks:
    "I have the follow-up album to 1999. I could put it all together and play it for you and you would go 'Yeah!' And I could put it out, and it would probably sell what 1999 did. But I always try to do something different and conquer new ground."

As far as I know, he never mentioned any specific tracks, so I've always wondered what would have been on it. This is only about 38 minutes or so ...

A (19:45)
    Purple Music (10:58), Possessed (8:47)
    B (18:24)
    Extralovable (7:50), Rearrange (6:11), Moonbeam Levels (4:23)

Also: 1999 and the outtakes we've had for years all have a similar sound. I'm finding it strange to think he was also recording stuff like Teacher, Teacher and Yah, U Know at the same time. I don't associate that sound with 1982-83 Prince.

sunspot42 and croquetlawns like this.
  19. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

I know what you mean. These unreleased songs in this set are, as a fellow fan said, like Prince was shedding that Controversy sound.

20. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

You gotta leave something for the 12" single... Purple Music would be edited on the lp, making room for other songs, but 10.58 on the 12" Same for Possessed

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, the rough version of "International Lover" - where he cracks himself up once or twice - makes it clear the song was all meant in fun, which makes it something of an amusing coda to 1999, sorta like Joni's cover of "Twisted" on Court & Spark. We tend to think of Prince as very serious, but he clearly had a pretty sharp sense of humor and maybe didn't take himself quite as seriously as we thought.

22. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I always thought International Lover was very funny from the get go. The guy was funny!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  23. RRB

RRB Forum Resident

Long time fans always knew humour was always a large part of his personality. The lyrics to High Fashion where he talks of how rich he has (that he bought a new Rolls Royce, "custom painted plaid") always cracked me up. Or when he plays the part of a hillbilly reacting to "Black MFs In The House"....'don't u hate it when they get up and dance, we ain't got Soul Train, we don't have a chance". Jusg hilarious.

Anyone discovering him now...there is just so much to explore. Even fans like me are discovering bits and pieces within songs and albums we know well. Bassline oddities here...awesome guitar parts buried deep in the mix there...awesome stuff.

superstar19, Matthew Tate and sekaer like this.
  24. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

You can tell from his music and his interviews that he was probably hilarious.

25. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Baby, there's one thing the Lord loves and that's the truth
    And, baby, you one ugly mother****er
    I'm not lyin' to ya
    You know the Lord loves the truth, don't ya?

I don't usually laugh out loud when listening to music, but the first time I heard that last line, I couldn't help it.