Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Are you listening to the vinyl or digital files?

2. Never mind. Duh! Citing the digital DR numbers it must be the digital files. :sigh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I took a break yesterday from my Rush marathon to listen to this in full and honestly, I am not hearing any audible distortion on the remaster that wasn't present on the channel-matched HDTracks version I have - and while both are fantastic in terms of sheer fidelity I give the remaster the edge again for more satiafying low end and a bit tamer high end to make it more crankable than ever before - in my own opinion of course!

Considering the fantastic job with this I am really stoked to see what they will do with SOTT. That is an album that can really benefit from a bit of tasteful remastering such as this

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Streaming off Amazon Music Unlimited HD.

You can get DR numbers for vinyl as well. Vinyl is often cut from the same horrid compressed masters used for the CD and digital download. Have no idea how the 1999 vinyl sounds or if it was taken from the same compressed master.

5. Right, but DR numbers would be higher for the vinyl due to artifacts or whatever. I should have known you were talking about the digital files.

I won't give the main album a listen for distortions, but I'll use my HP for the Vault discs and see what I hear.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Is there anywhere that I can order the 5 CD set for near retail?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Amazon.
    If amazon.com doesn't have it anymore, amazon.co.uk , amazon.fr and amazon.it still have it.
    I'm listening to the first Vault CD at this very moment. Got this set this weekend (from amazon.it). It also seemed to be scarce from Dutch retailers, so I did have to look around a bit to get it.

jh901 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I got it for about $10 per disc from Import CDs.

jh901, DesertHermit and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

They currently list it as Back Order and are accepting orders so I imagine they are expecting more in. They usually take titles down pretty quickly if there's no chance of a re-stock.

Matthew Tate, jh901 and TonyCzar like this.
  10. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

It would surely not be in anyone's interests to have deleted the CD box already?

11. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Only issue being those locations support the PAL video format. But I don't see a region lock warning which is hopeful.

12. dmcnelly

dmcnelly Grammy Award Loser

I got the 2LP version and it sounds awful compared to the original WB pressing. Not sure on the source but I'd wager it's from the same masters.

englishbob likes this.
  13. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

14. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Nope. These versions also have the DVD in the NTSC format.

kenbefound likes this.
  15. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

It’s region 0 and played fine on my Australian player.

April Snow and kenbefound like this.
  16. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

The USA seems to be the only country that's tech-locked in this way. All through Europe and most of the rest of the world, almost all players and televisions can handle both PAL and NTSC.

croquetlawns and kenbefound like this.
  17. oneflashoflight

oneflashoflight Active Member

Crazy stoked to own it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2020
    Dark Horse 77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

You will not be let down.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. oneflashoflight

My only nitpicky bits are:
    A) the DVD could have been handled better. I have a 20-year old copy with the drop-outs fixed. WB could have EASILY done that.
    B) Sides 5-8 could have seen some better shuffling of the tracks as opposed to same songs being back-to-back

Regardless, it's definitely a must-own!
    VERY glad to have great sounding vault tracks as opposed to the low-gen copies floating around on my Prince drive.
    (Yes, he has his own 1TB drive over here :D)

20. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Amazon US only has an EU import box for $160.
    Got a US copy for my wife locally for Xmas for around $55.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  21. oneflashoflight

$55 for the deluxe!?!? It's still out there from the majors, ebay, etc...but nowhere near $55

MrSka57 likes this.
  22. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

My local has unexpected bargains on occasion. Got a NM purple Capitol White Album w/inserts for $10 awhile back.

oneflashoflight likes this.
  23. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

$39 and change at importcds.com, though it's on backorder so it might take a while.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. oneflashoflight

Exactly. Then I'd go with ad180's suggestion of Electric Fetus at $70 if I was in DIRE need. Ultimately, NOTHING of this magnitude goes out-of-print given the estate's hand-over-fist intentions. 'Originals' Deluxe Purple Vinyl was strictly limited edition blah blah and that sold-out instantly only to reappear several weeks later and is at this moment available. This issue is just a post holiday depletion. Just a little patience....yeaaaah, yeah.... :winkgrin:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I keep looking for new ways to listen to those great outtakes, so I've also taken the opportunity to reprogramme Controversy with some of those late-'81 outtakes. Controversy has always seemed to me like a mish-mash of Prince's best work to date (the title track, 'Sexuality'), stuff that had been sitting on the shelf a couple of years and, after Dirty Mind, now sounded old ('Do Me, Baby', 'Let's Work'), and throwaways ('Ronnie, Talk to Russia', 'Jack U Off'), so I ditched two-thirds of the album and came up with:

Side One:
    Controversy
    Sexuality
    V*g*n*
    Feel U Up

Side Two:
    Wouldn't You Love to Love Me?
    Make Up
    Annie Christian
    Rearrange

Which will do me (baby) until the Controversy deluxe set arrives and I get to do it all over again.

Don't worry, all the displaced album tracks from this album and 1999 have found a home as non-album b-sides on my Prince 1981-1983 singles cryptodiscography!

I also finally got around to compiling a Purple Rain soundtrack double album, which I guess a lot of fans will have done a long time ago. This is my version:

Side One:
    Let's Go Crazy
    Jungle Love - The Time
    Take Me With U - Prince & Apollonia
    The Beautiful Ones

Side Two:
    Computer Blue
    Modernaire - Dez Dickerson
    Possessed
    Darling Nikki

Side Three:
    Father's Song (trimmed down to under two minutes - just the piano and piano / synth iterations of the theme before 'When Doves Cry' crashes in. Needed to be cut to make an under twenty minute album side and allow the whole thing to fit on a single CD, plus I didn't want to drag this side town with two lengthy instrumentals)
    When Doves Cry
    Sex Shooter - Apollonia 6 (album version faded to deal with the abrupt ending)
    God (Love Theme) (UK 12" b-side instrumental)

Side Four:
    The Bird (Single Edit) - The Time (used the edit in order to preserve side and album length)
    I Would Die 4 U
    Baby I'm a Star
    Purple Rain
    [plus I added the 'Darling Nikki' coda, unreversed, as a hidden track at the very end, to give both discs rhymed endings.)