Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I'm not sure what you're asking, the answer is yes and no, yes, the 35 album are the non-soundtrack albums as released, so includes 1999 and Sign, no, it does not include "vault" stuff, since the (then) unreleased material has never been mentioned in relation to these deals, so it's anyone's guess what happens. So far Sony hasn't released anything from the vault, one would assume they will eventually, but that hasn't really been spelled out. As 1999 was only produced in limited quantities (and it seems Sign will be too, because whey would WB print up a lot of them when they can't sell them for long) they easiest thing would be if Sony just repressed them and slapped their logo on things (kind of like they have done with the Hendrix catalogue), but there's of course the chance that they will want to change and add something in the process (since what people have bought from WB does no good for Sony's pockets).

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it, and it' one of his biggest hits, especially worldwide.

Since this thing was first taken to Italian court already in 1995, is this the reason why The Gold Experience has been out of print for so long? In the past we have speculated here on the forum that it has to do with how both WB and NPG had shared interest in it and that it had been in some legal limbo, but I would think the lawsuit against "TMBGITW" is more likely the reason why it was taken out of circulation so long ago.

But this doesn't really belong in a thread about 1999, sorry...

The people in charge don't seem to be to have been too concerend about anniversaries for the reissue program so far, has that term been applied to anything? It's a good thing in my opinion, I think it has gotten very silly with the anniversaries and sometimes it's as if like tings can't even be released unless there is an anniversary to tie it too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

nope the anniversary tag hasn't been applied to any of the deluxe releases that i know of

robcar likes this.
  3. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Don't worry; it will be.

4. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

I cannot imagine the Prince Estate not having some plan to release the Vault material.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Isn't this thread about a release that has two discs of vault material already? Of course there is a plan, but they are not talking about what it is, at least not at this critical juncture when things are about to transition from one huge label to another even huger. The question is not if it will get released, the question is (in the future), when rights for most of the albums go over to Sony, who will release what from the vault, and when, where and how.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

You are the one that said they would redo 1999 and Sign 'O' The Times. I think that is a ridiculous idea especially without any new Vault material. Every release you reference has been easily obtainable since Prince's death with the exception of Lovesexy. You do not have to be flippant either. I am well aware what the topic of this thread is. I was simply answering your "predictions". Move along.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

Speaking of Purple Rain. Is the deluxe cd reissue (3 cd/1 dvd) getting a bit hard to come by? Last week, I did a search for one and all I came up with was absurdly priced copies.

I finally found one at barnesandnoble.com for $28, so if any of you guys haven't grabbed it yet, now might be the time.

8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

barnes and noble , the physical stores, are treasure troves for stuff thats getting hard to find or out of print. i got a joan jett 2 cd hits release that was OOP brand new last year for around $14 after a coupon and membership discount

9. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I didn't meant to offend, I just didn't understand what you wee asking. I was being a bit cynical in the post you originally quoted, about them redoing things, because labels love to release the same things over and over. Obviously there will be more vault material of all sorts in the future, but it is very unclear who it will be released by and how it is controlled (as that part is never mentioned). This thread isn't about Sign, but in that thread there has been much made about the fact that there will be important songs missing on that Deluxe, probably because Sony owns the rights to those (since they are on the Crystal Ball set from '98 which is part of the material they already have), so my point when saying Sony would do things over is for example when they get the right to Sign (and taking for granted that the rights to the accompanying vault material follows along with it, which is actually something we do not know), they could then redo it, adding those song that were missing (and of course changing other things). Sony will have to reissue everything in some form or other anyway.

Again I don't understand, isn't Lovesexy obtainable (are you only talking only about vinyl)? Those albums themselves have been in print since they were released, so again obviously I meant as expanded reissues of some sort. When I mentioned those other albums it was in response to what, if anything, I thought would be released in this Deluxe format before they got around to Diamond And Pearls (the point being that I didn't think there was much motivation to do anything beyond '88 before those).

It is out of print, all these Deluxes seem to be made in limited numbers (which makes sense since Warner will loose the rights). Last time I checked there were reasonably priced copies on Discogs.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    FLF and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one from B&N.

11. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

When this was released along with a whole bunch of other deluxe editions last year, I "parked" getting this (missus wouldn't be too pleased, figuring I'd buy it later. I have regretted it since realising there wasn't an affordable later, but yesterday I have decided to bite the bullet and get it at 119 euro. Ironically, I was in two minds because of the price, and my wife was the one that said, "oh just get it already".

I'll not make the same mistake with SOTT.

Jimmy Cooper, FLF and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Not sure if a straight re-issue of superdeluxe editions of 1999 and Sign O' The Times is that ridiculous for Sony. Especially the SDE of 1999, which is out of print and for which there seems to be some demand. You and I may not buy it, just because it has a Sony label instead of a Warners, but someone who doesn't have the set yet and wants it does. If the profit from producing these extra box sets is worth it for Sony, why not?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

I do no see that happening because of the Vault tracks. Sony has not come close to the level of marketing and production that Warners has shown and the releases so far have been night and day. We got a slip mat with Rainbow Children...Yay! Warners has given us great packaging, singles, liner notes, never seen before photos, Bernie Grundman, etc. The Sony releases thus far seem to be based on straight re-issues on "purple vinyl" in paper sleeves. I would rather know who mastered the record instead of getting colored vinyl. Most of these sound ok but I think Warners approach has been more thoughtful and appealing to Prince fans. I suppose it is possible they could change course.

14. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Sorry if this was answered before: Are there any informations about how many vinyl box sets were made?

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That might be the case if so many B&Ns hadn't obliterated their CD selections. The last 4 or 5 I've visited haven't had much! :sigh:

Lewisboogie and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Got the big vinyl box today. Man... ...this is the real deal!

17. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Regarding a song-by-song thread discussed on the Sign o' the Times thread: I’d really love to do one. I know the album by album thread was quite thorough and informative; but it was years ago, and there are new members here (like me) who would like to participate in A new discussion. Plus, considering the amount of archival songs being released the catalog is always growing.

I’m on vacation right now, camping, so my Internet time is limited. When I get back next Monday, I will start a thread if no one else has done, and I’ll be covering everything, one song per day, that’s been officially released: including b-sides and songs for other artists, in semi-chronological order. By semi-chronological I mean it will be organized by album "chapters" chronologically with attendant “bonus tracks” recorded or written in that era following.

That is a pretty big task but I think I am up to it—I have a job but I have an unusual amount of free time in it. I’ve been running the Finn Brothers thread for a year and a half and I’m also running Robyn Hitchcock and Belle and Sebastian threads. Unlike any of those there is a wealth of Prince information available so the research will actually be easier then trying to find information on, say, a Tim Finn hip-hop single released only in Tonga in 1992!

I’ll have experts here to help as well.

I’ve been participating in The Beach Boys thread and that’s nearly at an end so I’ve been thinking about this for some time.
    I’ll write more details on Sunday evening outlining my plans; if someone else starts a thread before then post it here.

18. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I just visited HMV in Sunderland, and amazingly they had one copy of the 1999 super-deluxe CD set just sitting on the shelf for the original price of £59.99, so I nabbed it. So if you have an HMV anywhere near you, might be worth a visit. Seen a couple of people on the superdeluxeedition site commenting that they've seen it in store recently.

It's small isn't it?!

19. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Same thing happened to me a month or so ago (posted above). So glad I grabbed this...been listening non stop. Actually want the LP set now, but that's redundant. I'm going to get the Signs box right away.

Phil Tate likes this.
  20. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

According to a certain person, who currently lives in Washington DC-'That's What She Said".

Adam Bosman and Phil Tate like this.
  21. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

22. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

23. obi

obi Forum Resident

I have nothing meaningful to add to this thread but I just found a new 1999 SDE 5CD/DVD set for €65,99 in a FNAC store in Bordeaux France and I could not be happier :wiggle:

24. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Ah FNAC - what a great chain store! I wish Australia still had any as good as FNAC.

25. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

I’ve been given a FNAC cheque cadeau and haven’t found how to check the amount or use it on their site... i’ll see how to use it in one of their stores next time I’m in Paris. Nice shops but nightmare website.

Lance LaSalle likes this.