Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I don't know about Sweden, but here in the Netherlands postmen get underpaid, so the only people who want to do it are people who need short term cash and they don't give a … about mail being delivered or not. of course I'm exaggerating, but sometimes it looks like this here

Timjosephuk and Lance LaSalle like this.
  2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I've been having problems with the post here, too. Mainly them giving me notifications that they had missed me for deliveries when I was definitely here at home.

3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Got this in the mail today—the original album only, no extras, CD. I’m very happy with it so far. It sounds nice and full, and it’s great to have “D.M.S.R.” sounding like the rest of the songs, unlike on my old CD.

Next purchase will be last year’s Sign 'O' the Times reissue, which I understand sounds even better than 1999. And as far as Purple Rain, I recall reading that it was a disappointing remaster, so I’ll just wait for the 40th anniversary redo.

And now, back to listening to 1999! :love:

4. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I think the Purple Rain remastered album sounds terrible but the extras sound okay. It’s weird.

croquetlawns and Uncle Miles like this.
  5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

They must have got a ton of complaints and then hired Bernie Grundman to master the subsequent reissues, huh?

April Snow likes this.
  6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The person that did the Purple Rain remastering wasn’t available for the extras discs or future releases as it was Prince himself.

7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Prince "oversaw" the mastering, which was done by Joshua Welton.

Album: Purple Rain Deluxe - Prince Vault

April Snow, croquetlawns and CBackley like this.
  8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Mmm I don't suppose any surround mixes are in the offing? THAT would be interesting. Could we prise Steven Wilson away from remixing Jethro Tull or whatever to do it? Maybe he's a closet fan! (Well actually I'd get the folks from Missy Elliott's DVD-Audio release to do it, apparently Jummy Douglass and Timbaland)

HotelYorba101 and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. noname74

10. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Closet fan? Dude has covered Prince twice and is on record as being a fan. I don't think that makes for a closet fan.

11. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident Thread Starter

12. noname74

Not sure why you are doing this...we all consider that Princes remaster whether he did the actual board work or not, he made the decisions. Maybe time to move on.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

SW is not a Closeted Prince Fan, but a pretty Open Prince Fan, as in the late 1980s one of his first recorded Songs was a Cover Version of ‘The Cross’ from Prince’s SOTT Album. SW also played the SOTT Title Track at a few Concerts after Prince had died. Also, SW used a Falsetto Vocal on some of the Songs on his ‘To The Bone’ Album as a nod to Prince, and the same for a few Songs on ‘The Future Bites’ Album.

14. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I remember noticing this on the 3-CD deluxe edition of Bella Donna by Stevie Nicks. The demos/extras disc sounded pretty good, as did the concert disc. But the main album itself was very loud by comparison. You'd think they would master all the discs the same way.

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Be thankful they didn't...

croquetlawns and Uncle Miles like this.
  16. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Yep, he's said in interviews that Kate Bush's albums and Prince's 80s work would be his dream remix job. Just imagine what an amazing job he'd do....

17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Definitely not. Prince would turn in his grave.

leave the mixes the way they are, they way Prince wanted them. then have BG master them. pretty simple.

18. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Bet you he doesn’t

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  19. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Steven Wilson remixes of Prince's '80s catalogue would be a dream come true - he mentions Prince often in interviews and is a big fan. He does these wonderful box sets with remixes and high resolution flat transfers of the original mix included in the set, I can only imagine how epic that would be for an album like 1999 or Purple Rain

20. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

What did you find wrong with the recent 1999 super deluxe box set?

obi and CBackley like this.
  21. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I love this set, what makes you think I didn't, if I may ask? I was more commenting on how awesome a Steven Wilson remix could and would be purely from a daydreaming thought about a hypothetical SW set akin to his Tull sets for any of Prince's most legendary albums

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    croquetlawns, Gems-A-Bems and SJP like this.
  22. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I had no idea. I am a Prince admirer but not really a fan, however if SW did one of those cool boxes I'd probably grab it. We gotta bombard him (how?) with the suggestion/request to do it. But who knows if Prince's estate has any interest in that...

23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I think the point was (a) a surround mix would be really cool, and (b) Steven Wilson does interesting "alternate" mixes BUT you also get a great transfer of the original beloved mix. It's sure interesting on his Emerson, Lake, and Palmer boxes. I'd think Prince has more than enough going on to spread into multi-channels. It really opened up Rumours amazingly when they did that.

24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

@Turntable you mean new stereo mixes? Or the surround? I wonder if he ever really considered surround, you'd think he'd be way up for something creative like that (but not commercially viable at the time so maybe he just wasn't thinking about it, like Alan Parson once commented about his own work). I'll take the point about Perfectionist Prince not wanted his mixes re-worked though.

25. obi

obi Forum Resident

It’s not SW you have to bombard with requests, it’s the Prince estate...

head_unit and croquetlawns like this.