Prince: 1999 Super Deluxe box 5CD/1DVD or 10LP/1DVD [11/29/19]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Aug 3, 2019.

1. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I personally don't want/need for SW to remix any Prince material, except as a curiosity.... AND it seems the Estate has gotten very good at releasing dynamic masters lately. (No complaints at all with the SOTT bonus material or the actual album mastering.) Surround sound mixes could be amazing. though.

But honestly, I REALLY wish SW... or anyone... would go back to the original Hounds Of Love tapes and just cut a nice, high-quality AAA master for vinyl. Talk about an album where none of the vinyl options quite nail it. (I spent money on an original UK, which is apparently the best of the lot, but the vinyl is a little noisy, as almost all UK issues are.) By contrast, original Prince vinyl sounds great and used to be cheap.... and the reissues come really close too! (I actually prefer the Bernie reissues from 2011 for some of the early albums!)

2. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

And using the correct version of The Big Sky ... :)

3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Don’t get me started on that cock up.

4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Umm, Steven Wilson does Remixes, not Remastering for other Music Artists. Also, are you not aware that Our Host and Kevin Gray Remastered HOL on Vinyl for Audio Fidelity? Although, there were 2 different Pressings and had read that a few people had bad pressings from the Original Issued Version. Unfortunately, AF did not also release this Remastered Title on CD or Hybrid SACD:shake:.

5. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

There's also the EMI 100 edition which was all analog and sounds breathtaking. Hard to find for a decent price now though.

6. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

having SW get his hands on his masters. not something he would ever want, wanted or even contemplate - imo.

sunspot42 and Joker to the thief like this.
  7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Me too, the remixes SW has done for Tull, Yes, and Tears for Fears have been amazing and such a fun different experience. I would absolutely love a 1999, or Purple Rain, or Parade remix from the multitracks SW style. That would be a ton of fun

I think of an album like Songs From The Wood where he took the album and essentially kept the integrity of the original sound but with a super clear modernized mix and I think it would be a ton of fun to hear 1999 for example, with that sort of treatment

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Anyone in Toronto looking for this set, the Sunrise Records at Sherway Gardens has it in stock for $96.99. 1 copy.

9. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

Is this just sold out everywhere now?

Late to the party,
    Tom

10. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Tufnel Is God

It's been OOP for around a year. I found one at a Barnes & Noble 'bout a year ago , got lucky .

Matthew Tate and croquetlawns like this.
  11. TheSeldomSeenKid

Yeah, I had bought the CD Deluxe Box Set originally, then it disappeared from the usual online sellers. When there was a brief reissue about 2 years(IIRC), I got a second copy(think from Amazon-Japan), as wanted to have a Backup Copy as it is a Good Set with the Extra Songs, and 1999 is one of my Favorite Prince Albums.

I also bought 3 of the 1999 Hoodies(different colors) from the Prince Website Store, and although overpriced for a typical Hoodie, the Embroidery is Great, and just figured I was paying a $25 Prince Tax. Also bought the Anthology 1978-1991 Bomber Jacket, which also is expensive, but is sweet, and I have not bought many Jackets or Hoodies in the past 5-7 years, as already own more than I get to wear often.

Torontotom and croquetlawns like this.
  12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So you’re the one they make that stuff for!

redsock and sparkmeister like this.
  13. TheSeldomSeenKid

:righton:

14. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Forum Resident

I've drooled over that one multiple times, but just can't pull the trigger at that cost to get it here in Europe.
    Do you like the production quality on it? I saw one at the Revolution gig in Paris and it seemed to look a bit cheapish, but obviously didn't really study that guy's back.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  15. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Tufnel Is God

Barnes & Noble still has a few ,bored last nite and searched a few places , Erie , PA and Murfreesboro , Tenn are two I found . The search is limited to 100m on the site .

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Matthew Tate and Lance LaSalle like this.
  16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i find OOP stuff at barnes and noble a lot. saves me money no matter what the store price is compared second hand market prices

Dr. Nick likes this.
  17. TheSeldomSeenKid

I would not say it is low production quality/cheapish, but it is a Light Weight Jacket, so on the thin side. The Logo Embroidery on the Back of the Jacket seems to be of solid quality to me, but keep in mind I just received this Jacket, and cannot speak for how it will hold up long term, but see no indication that the Logo Embroidery would start to come unattached.

I would include these same comments for the 1999 Hoodies, as they are on the Thinner Side of material, but solid 1999 Logo Embroidery on the Front. As mentioned in my Original Post, I just figured for the relatively higher price compared to other Jackets and Hoodies of similar quality that I was paying a ‘Prince Tax’(same for a Bowie T-Shirt I bought that is thin on material). Whether it is worth it for you to pay a high shipping cost to your country(think my Shipping was about another $10), then guess you need to make that decision. I justified buying this Jacket, as I have not bought any Jacket in the past 6-7 years. I do seem to already own a lot of Light Weight Jackets though, but mostly Sports Teams Related.

One more thing. I typically wear a Size XL for Jackets, and had a few problems with fit for this Prince Anthology Jacket, as I first ordered a Size XL around February last year(was the only size they had in stock at the time), but it was too tight under the armpit area, so I had to return it, and wait until this past September/October when all Sizes were back in stock on the website store. So I figured that I was good to order the Size 2XL. Well, I was surprised that this size also was tight under the armpit area. It seemed shocking I would need the Size 3XL, as all of my other Jackets that are Size XL still fit well, but I made the exchange again(after some problems insisting they provide a Prepaid Return Shipping Label, which they finally provided to me). The Size 3XL fits much better, so I am finally good on what I bought.

18. RaulCF

RaulCF Forum Resident

Another one late to the party(
    There's no chance of a reissue of the vinyl super deluxe box set?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

No offense to anyone, but could we maybe move Prince fashion apparel discussion to another thread?

croquetlawns and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It was like 5 posts from 2 months ago. I think you’ll be ok.

21. TheSeldomSeenKid

I was only trying to be helpful by replying to a question about the Prince Clothing from another SHF Member back in January:shrug:. Especially, since that Member being from outside of the US, probably pays a Higher Shipping Cost from the Prince Store. Also, figured the information would be helpful for any other Prince Fans here, and since it is a 1999 Thread, also wanted to relay my experience having bought a few of the 1999 Hoodies for others, who might consider spending the money, as the Prince Clothing is a bit higher in price for similar quality for T-Shirts, Hoodies and Jackets.

905 and EndorphinMachine like this.
  22. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I hadn't checked the dates. I just noticed that five out of the last six posts were about the clothing line. But thank you for assuring me that I'll be okay. I will sleep much better tonight.

groovelocked and croquetlawns like this.
  23. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Zero imo

April Snow likes this.
  24. oliviergregoire

oliviergregoire Member

What's the best version on vynil for this one? The originalfrom 1982, the 2011 or the remsater on the box set? I ask this cause on the STT thread some people said the 1987 one was better.

25. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I recently busted out the CD set for a full listen-through in a while and was thinking how I really like how they packaged this set. I love the grandiose epic nature of the SOTT set too, but something about this 1999 set is really cool with the CDs all having their own sleeves neatly tucked in there. For me it is hard to say which of the two I would want the Parade SDE to emulate

Fred Dender and croquetlawns like this.