Prince Estate Signs Deal With Sony Music to Re-Release 35 Catalog Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Jun 27, 2018.

1. nowyouknow

nowyouknow Music addict

The tracklist is not Prince's though, unlike some other scrapped Prince albums this is just a fan compilation.

2. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

It came close, didn’t it? Even released a CD single “The Good Life” from the forthcoming album. But it got canceled.

Vic333 likes this.
  3. zipzapzopzoup

zipzapzopzoup Forum Resident

And a bizarre one at that! What the heck are Face Down and 2morrow doing here?

CBackley likes this.
  4. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Segue #4 is hilarious... classic Prince humor. I laugh my ass off every time I hear it, picturing them in the studio recording it! :laugh:

5. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Waiting for reports. I have the original ones. Both cd and vinyl. I have original ”regular” vinyl which I have understood is more rare than the promo one this RSD release is replicating.

Turntable likes this.
  6. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

The original “regular” vinyl was a European only release. Don’t know how much more rare it is than the US promo version, as that I know of, there has never been pressing amount totals listed for either. If I had to guess, I’d say they were about the same.

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  7. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Regardless this is a perfect collection of this era.

bataclan2002 and Michael Macrone like this.
  8. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

SERIOUSLY!!!

9. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

People on here are always complaining about the interludes and skits Prince does on his 90’s albums. I don’t get what all the whining is about. I love that stuff! It’s pretty much what makes Exodus such a great album for me! I mean that entire Prince at the restaurant skit has me dying every time I hear it! :laugh:

MadMelMon, bataclan2002 and thekid87 like this.
  10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I just received my third US copy of TGE, this time from the official Prince store. I was hoping that when they restocked them, they would also be numbered, but alas that is not the case. So if anybody has an EU copy that wants to trade for a sealed US copy, let me know. :)

bataclan2002 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  11. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I can´t wait for a Christmas announcement

12. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Indeed. Here's hoping it's some real vault stuff this time, rather than a live show previously available as a grey-market release. While my dream would be a Parade box, I would be totally satisfied with a D&P box for the time being.

13. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Well, they can release whatever they want: I'm in. I really love everything from the vault they released in the last years. Great music, always.

Izozeles likes this.
  14. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

So can you clarify - some editions are numbered and some are not? How many are numbered?

15. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

bataclan2002 likes this.
  16. PDMBK

PDMBK Well-Known Member

What are the odds we get another official release of the Black Album on vinyl? Is there a chance that it would be part of a Love Sexy boxset?

LoveIsInControl and AshS like this.
  17. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I think the first batch offered up at the prince.com store were numbered. After that sold out, they added more copies but those appear not to be numbered.

Thanks, I wasn't sure how many were offered up. And nobody knew they were numbered until they were received, correct?

bataclan2002 likes this.
  18. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I guess that we have all heard about Prince's estate being settled, and the management of future activities being taken over by Primary Wave.

His heirs also seem to be insisting that his recording archive be moved back to Paisley from California.

What does this mean for future releases? Don't know about the long term, but it will probably slow things down in the short term.

19. vokuro3121

vokuro3121 Well-Known Member

We don't even know if the new estate will keep releasing boxsets. The archivist, creative director & PR team were fired last week.

Nothing new will be released for quite some time. His family & some shady lawyers are now in charge of Prince's estate.

20. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Moving the archive back is a bad idea, imo. It's in really good hands right now.

21. andycherry

andycherry Forum Resident

a quote from sharon nelson, prince’s half-sister, the new vault archivist and fellow audiophile :
    "Once we have the music, they are going to get the real good sound that they should have had six years ago," Nelson said. "We're going to bring his original music out."

:doh:

CBackley likes this.
  22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Crap. I didn't know that. That's...not good.

23. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I didn't know any of this either. I now have a knot in the pit of my stomach.

24. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

This sounds like a dreadful outcome in terms of the quality of future releases - I guess all we can do is try to be optimistic until we see what sort of things emerge.

25. vokuro3121

vokuro3121 Well-Known Member

Dreadful indeed.

A combined Diamond & Pearls / The Love Symbol Album Super Deluxe boxset was in the works but has been put on hold (likely cancelled).

Sony Legacy will likely fill the gap with standard reissues of OOP albums (20Ten, Chocolate Invasion...)

The new estate stopped the archiving/digitalisation process. They want to move all the tapes back to Paisley (humidity/room/security problems ahead)

Timjosephuk likes this.