Prince Estate Signs Deal With Sony Music to Re-Release 35 Catalog Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

What about that Parade SDE which is apparently compiled and ready to go?

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The only thing to be optimistic about here is the fact that whomever is in control will certainly want to maximize profit, so at least there's always that incentive to keep the vaults open. Certainly I would expect anything of the sort to be delayed though.

Tricky By Name likes this.
  3. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

Where’s all this information coming from? Link? Article? Thanks.

4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Insider reports from Vanessa Bartholomew.

5. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

You and everyone else here want answers?

6. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

Yep. I didn't like the look of the RSD EU pressing of The Gold Experience, and the cost of getting the US one from the Prince store, including shipping, was slightly more than the average retail price of the EU version anyway. So it was a nice surprise to receive a numbered copy :)

7. zipzapzopzoup

zipzapzopzoup Forum Resident

I’d love to see a source too. I haven’t read anything that has me worried yet - yes, Sharon said some crazy ****, but Primary Wave controls 50% of the estate. There’s no chance they bought in just to sit on the Vault. I bet we see some sort of release before years end, SDE or otherwise.

8. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Not convinced. But from your lips to God's ears.

9. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I guess that may be the reason why those album reissues just stopped dead. They were releasing batches of oop albums every few months for a while. I just needed them to release about 10 more so I can have his complete discography!

10. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

11. vokuro3121

vokuro3121 Well-Known Member

“Whatever was planned under the old regime, don’t expect it now.” :
    https://twitter.com/deejayumb/status/1554426254518091783

Londell McMillan was already in charge of the estate in 2016-2017. It was severely mismanaged (rescinded Universal deal, the subpar Purple Rain Deluxe, shady deals, raved about the MJ estate & Broadway musicals)...

Former Prince Estate Advisors Ordered to Place Millions in Commissions in Escrow :
    Former Prince Estate Advisors Ordered to Return Millions in Commissions - Variety

+ They filed hundred of frivolous claims in court the past 5 years when Comerica was in charge (they tried to block the release of SOTTSDE/1999SDE/Originals/W2A) wasting in the process millions of $.

The Paisley Park Vault, where the tapes will be put back :
    "None of the spaces being used for storage ... have climate control systems sufficient to preserve audio and video material. During its inventory, the Personal Representative discovered several indications of damage and degradation due to poor humidity and temperature controls.It encountered cardboard boxes that were adhered to shelves and had to be peeled off, mold and water damage on the materials, rusting film canisters, degrading film that smelled of vinegar (a sign of acetate degradation), and evidence of water intrusion in the vault"
    Great, Prince’s Paisley Park Vault is in Shambles

Here's a summary of everything (in french) :
    ESTATE OF SHOCK

Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised, maybe not. I don't except anything New before the Netflix documentary in 2023. Apart from some Sony OOP LP reissues.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    fatwad666 likes this.
  12. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Will they now be sending the Prince Police to confiscate our copies of the Deluxe Box Sets and Originals(CD/Vinyl)o_O?
    Have they pulled all remaining of those Deluxe Box Sets which were still available from the online Music Webstores?
    Glad I bought 2 Copies of the 1999 CD Deluxe Box Set, while prices were still decent.

13. zipzapzopzoup

I just read the article and watched the video - there’s nothing stated in either about anyone being fired, and Londell specifically talks about more unreleased music coming out. He also doesn’t say anything about bringing the tapes back to Paisley Park. We’ll see how it plays out, of course, but I think there’s a lot of hand-wringing over nothing here.

14. zipzapzopzoup

Speculation. Funkenberry likes to pretend he’s still got the inside scoop, but I haven’t seen any evidence of that in a long time.

15. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

Another book is coming.:shake:

16. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

They can't take their millions and make the Paisley vault functional?

17. vokuro3121

vokuro3121 Well-Known Member

It's in the court docs. Michael Howe & Troy Carter no longer work for the estate.

zipzapzopzoup likes this.
  18. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Damn. I was truly looking forward to all further SDEs, Parade, Dimaonds, etc. It doesn't matter how much of the material has already been bootlegged, there always seems to be more that never made it out.
    This doesn't sound good for anything in the near future, sadly.
    But if the Parade SDE has been done for at least a year or so, maybe they could release that.
    :shake:

CBackley likes this.
  19. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

If only Prince had received the Bowie treatment ...

April Snow likes this.
  20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

With all due respect to him, this is what happens when you can’t be bothered to leave behind a will with instructions and naming exactly who you want in charge of things.

21. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

I remain unconcerned about more releases coming out in the long run, nor do I weep for the loss of Comerica/Howe/Carter. Things were ok before, but it was marred by IMO badly thought out releases like PM83 and Originals and the SDE's were nice but nowhere near comprehensive or complete. That's not to say the new folks will do better, but maybe just maybe they'll explore more avenues to monetize the music in ways that aren't wait-for-the-one-big-release-a-year type thing.

Who knows.

alek2702, CBackley and thekid87 like this.
  22. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Yep. As much as I love the SDE’s and single albums after 2016, they could have been improved easily. Especially SOTT. The remaster is amazing and the songs that made the set are absolutely great, but I would have liked a complete Crystal Ball and Dream Factory set, for example. I haven’t read the details of the new agreement, but I guess we just have to wait for new archive releases. Hopefully with a lot of SDE’s, new live shows and ‘lost albums’ done as good as possible. I’d like an Originals II for example and some side project albums with Prince vocals (What Time Is It for example… or The Family :love:).

alek2702, qtrules and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think the Bowie reissues have been underwhelming because they've included so little "new" material.

"1999" and "SotT" are jam-packed. There's nothing in the Bowie realm that equals those in terms of deluxe reissues of existing albums.

I'm a huge Bowie fan but I skipped all the big boxes other than the 1983-88 one because the others didn't include enough new content to be worth the $$$.

The Bowie camp tops the Prince camp in terms of live material, and "Toy" is nice, but they've dropped the ball on SDEs of existing albums...

CBackley, Freek999 and Turntable like this.
  24. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Please no. The digital remastering on the Bowie albums and releases is abhorrent robbing the life and vitality of everything that Bowie was about.

All the Prince releases so far have been excellent sonically.

25. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

We need to be honest. Prince didn't want any of his music in the vault released unless he wanted to.

April Snow likes this.