Prince Estate Signs Deal With Sony Music to Re-Release 35 Catalog Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Jun 27, 2018.

1. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Not all. The Purple Rain remaster in the Deluxe is lacking..

qtrules and thesisinbold like this.
  2. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Agree, that is the only one. Wasn't even on vinyl, but wasn't that haphazardly done quickly after his passing and not done by the Prince estate.
    That said I do like the Prince supervised Purple Rain album remaster.

April Snow and noname74 like this.
  3. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I meant in terms of a release schedule.

Turntable likes this.
  4. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Well he was asked in an interview once if any of his vault material would be released and he said it would after he dies, so it would appear that everything is happening just as he expected / wished.

5. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

He said many times the vault material would be released, just not by him. He was more interested in looking forward. That’s why he told of whole albums yet to be heard.
    If you’re an artist and truly don’t want something ever seen/heard, you destroy it.

Nathan Aaron and Bink like this.
  6. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

It may take a little time for things to start being released but hopefully once that starts we will get more releases per year. There is so much material the estate could easily have 3-4 releases in a calendar year. Maybe one "super deluxe," one live set and one video release? I'm not picky about which era I just want them to release more music!

qtrules likes this.
  7. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

At this point I’d just appreciate someone reissuing the remainder of his catalog albums on vinyl. Hit N’ Run (both), 2010, Lovesexy, Come, Black Album, etc. Just put out his basic catalog of album releases (starting with Lovesexy. They’ve reissued everything before that multiple times now.) Then start going into vault releases and super deluxe sets again.

8. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Surely they must have Crystal Ball 6LP box ready to go.
    They released The Truth on vinyl 15 months ago.

CBackley and April Snow like this.
  9. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

to an extent I’d agree, but would you rather wait until they put some time and effort into these releases - and then we don’t need to buy twice?

a copy of the black album was on Discogs this week for $25k - so it’s available :D

10. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

What reissues haven't they put time and effort into?
    They all sound great.

April Snow likes this.
  11. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

I agree, the SOTT box set and the 1999 boxed set were very generous - we got so many "new LPs" with those unreleased tracks.

I would love to see 2010 on vinyl though I have to say - and the HitnRuns too - things that have not been on vinyl before.
    Not just re-issues of the standard albums.
    and yes Crystal Ball for sure too - but maybe we need to rub that a bit harder and see if a genie appears to produce it? :laugh:

Turntable likes this.
  12. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

For Prince's "heirs", it's a great verdict, but for his music it's probably the worst outcome.

Stopping the digitisation of the vault, and moving the contents back to Paisley Park could be the single dumbest decision they'll ever make and will probably set his vault releases back years.

Happy to be proven wrong, but it gets a massive thumbs down for me.

Sava Dimitrov, opiumden, 905 and 4 others like this.
  13. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

the implication I got from your post was just to put out the records. I’d rather wait until we get deluxe versions than a vanilla release.

andycherry likes this.
  14. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

the estate should throw us a bone, like an unreleased vault album, while they sort out this vault mess.

Bink and DownInAHole like this.
  15. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Interesting interview with one of the people working with the family (I realise it was also posted earlier in the thread). I have to say, as soon as he mentioned a possible Broadway show I rolled my eyes!!

CBackley and iveivan like this.
  16. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Nothing is stopping the estate from creating a secure, temperature and humidity-controlled storage space for the tapes. I think the estate is aware that the tapes were not stored properly during Prince's lifetime.

fatwad666 likes this.
  17. April Snow

that You Tube interview "he left directions on what he wanted to do"................hmmmmmmm........??????
    a will would have been the way to go :doh:

CBackley likes this.
  18. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

NARRATOR: He left no directions.

19. ILoveLucille

ILoveLucille The infernal desire machines of Dr Steve Hoffman

RON HOWARD: In fact, his only direction was that there should be no directions. And he firmly implied that this should not be construed as a direction.

Troy McClure, alugjk, jmxw and 3 others like this.
  20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

A Parade deluxe edition would be enough to hold me over until more of this mess is sorted out, I hope that materializes eventually

Been reading Duane's Parade/SOTT sessions (a wonderful book by the way) and that combined with the couple of mins of Evolsidog that surfaced not too long ago it is making me want more '85/'86 stuff

Dark Horse 77, Freek999, Bink and 3 others like this.
  21. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

For a start, release all the albums that never had a vinyl release. then take their time on the deluxe boxes with previously released albums on vinyl.

Sony did a good job with Emancipation, Planet Earth, Chaos & Disorder, 3121, Musicology, One Night etc

Crystal Ball
    Vault, Old Friends 4 Sale
    News
    Xpectation
    The Slaughterhouse
    The Chocolate Invasion
    HITnRUN 1
    HITnRUN 2

April Snow and joeislive like this.
  22. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Yes Add NewPowerSoul and LotusFlow3r/MplSound and reissue new cd versions of all these and I’m all in. Get his whole catalog out there again on cd/vinyl. Intersperse it with box sets in between batches of releases…..just like they were doing a few years ago.

Turntable likes this.
  23. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Yes, NewPowerSoul - missed that one.

Although LotusFlow3r/MplSound has been released twice in vinyl. I don't need a 3rd copy :D

CBackley likes this.
  24. April Snow

what nobody mentioning Karmasutra? :winkgrin:

I would like Exodus & Gold Ni**er whilst at it too

CBackley and Turntable like this.
  25. andycherry

andycherry Forum Resident

question - does warner still own the rights to purple rain, parade, batman and graffiti bridge? can they still release those or does the estate choose when to release them?