Prince Estate Signs Deal With Sony Music to Re-Release 35 Catalog Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Jun 27, 2018.

1. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I hope that, unlike Van Morrison with most of his catalog, that these albums get a physical release.

And what will happen with the non-Prince Paisley Park releases ? Will these ever get reissued ?

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  2. uncle

uncle Senior Member

:yawn:

3. ecoutez

ecoutez Forum Resident

Is there a list anywhere please? I was going to buy the NPG Music Club albums on Tidal but might hold off if getting a physical release!

4. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

No list, but I think chances are good the Chocolate Invasion, Xpectation, etc will be included in some form.

I have a feeling some of these titles won’t grt a physical release, but I’d love to be wrong about that.

Maurice likes this.
  5. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Really looking forward to seeing this stuff on vinyl, especially Emancipation.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Though 2021 might sound very far in the future, it isn't that much further away in the timelines you are describing. It looks most of his albums up to 1992 ( O+> ) will be reissued by Sony in 2 1/2 years time, so about a year later than the 1 1/2 you describe for the Rolling Stones ones. And in the meantime his post-1992 albums become available. From the press release, it seems they even become available again soon.
    The mention of the 2021 releases was probably to already provide an answer to the many who would be asking where Prince's '80s albums were in the re-release program. Now we know.

7. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I hope they re-release "One Nite Alone...Live!". That's been on my wishlist for years.

black sheriff and DeeThomaz like this.
  8. The Montreux Jazz Festival shows are crying out for a release. Those were amazing.

9. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

Remaster those albums and get them out on LP! "The Gold Experience", "The Rainbow Children" and "The Truth" would be marvelous on vinyl!!

Also I'd love to see some cool themed box sets from the estate of live shows (how about a box set that has all of the shows Prince (and maybe even Prince related bands) played at First Avenue? Include some dvd's of any surviving live footage and I'll be one happy fan!) and unreleased studio recordings by year (for example: 1983-1984, 1987-1988 etc).

EVOLVIST and LunarTunes like this.
  10. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

2021 for the good stuff? Dangit!!

Thank goodness those original CD's sound really good.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Something between (and including) crappy and fantastic?

12. rubberhead

rubberhead Erotic Thriller

I'd say there is zero chance I will be alive when they release the Black Album, Come and Chaos and Disorder on vinyl. And those are the only ones I want.

EDIT: Duh, I can't forget Newpower Soul. Best thing he did in the last two decades of his life.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Tjazz and Gavinyl like this.
  13. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I am once again reminded that I stepped on and broke my CD of CHAOS in my car, sometime in between when it was like four bucks in the Amoeba racks everytime I thumbed through and when it became forty. That's my only Prince need right now, an affordable CD of that. I'm OK not having most prince on vinyl myself, but happy for the vinyl fanatics on this news.

14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

o_O

Right on the movie DVD is a "Take Me With U" from Houston 1985 that is barely recognizable from the Syracuse DVD.

15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

The first 10 albums were all reissued on vinyl a couple years ago at reasonable prices and cut by Kevin Gray (I believe) so I’d recommend picking those up if they’re still in print. IMO they don’t need remastering. The CDs are another story...

Turntable likes this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

2021 is too late. That stuff should be in the shops for Christmas or next year. If they leave it all too long, interest in his catalogue could wane (as far as the wider public is concerned).

17. I thought that was one of his worst, but the hidden track "Wasted Kisses" was essential. To me, the really good late-period Prince albums are:

Planet Earth
    Lotusflow3r
    Hit & Run, Vol. 2
    Xpectation

There's good stuff on almost every project, but those ones really stand out for me.

18. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I wonder if this will include remastering at all? I would both be excited and scared at the prospect of remastering, if they do, I hope they keep the mastering guy for PR deluxe on the other side of the country lol

George P likes this.
  19. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Please let one of them be The Black Album on vinyl.....

Tjazz and Gavinyl like this.
  20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

3121 is probably my favorite from that era. And Art Offical Age.

21. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly (it'd hardly be the first time), but, wasn't there some kind of sealed agreement between Warner and Prince at the time of his death? Is that why this isn't kicking off until 2021?

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This is a major snore...It includes NOTHING unreleased. Just the original albums plus some other non-LP material that was previously released.

So what...The early years--the primo years--have already been available for a zillion years. Distribution will just switch to Sony. Snore.

masswriter likes this.
  23. HotelYorba101

Getting all of his albums affordable and easily available is a good thing.

slashdot87 and Sondek like this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

With respect to the golden era (Warner years), is anything not affordable and easily available?

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  25. HotelYorba101

The Gold Experience, 3121, Musicology, The Rainbow Children, and a heap of the "lesser known" things and more, are quite pricey nowadays. And that is just CDs, let alone on vinyl and whatnot

Zoot Marimba likes this.