Prince Estate Signs Deal With Sony Music to Re-Release 35 Catalog Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

yes, I actually got an email from Amazon today saying it'll arrive on Friday

2. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Rocketdog is correct though. Vinyl stateside was almost non-existent at this time and it wasn't like you could just go to Best Buy or Target and pick up the latest from ____ on vinyl. Outside of Beatles reissues/Anthology and a couple Pearl Jam albums (it was a huge novelty when they released Vitalogy on vinyl two weeks prior to CD release, so some fans who still had a turntable ran out if they didn't want to wait two more weeks), I never saw vinyl in shops anywhere past 1990. It wasn't until the early 2000s I began to notice them creep up in mom-and-pop shops and it was somewhat of a novelty "oh that's cool", and it definitely wasn't really a viable force, or else you would've seen Prince's mid-2000s comeback albums on there originally and not reissued 13-15 years later.

Hep Alien, CBackley and Rocketdog like this.
  3. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Too, true. I also meant to mention in my last post that one of the albums I did get as a promo was Prince's The Black Album. Wish I could have gotten The Gold Experience in it's stead, though.

CBackley likes this.
  4. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I'm so so so so so glad I don't buy vinyl. CD's are dirt cheap now and in 15 years time, when it will be all the rage again I will still be glad I kept buying cd's.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

That's practically what I was saying about vinyl 20 years ago: I'm so glad I don't buy CDs. Vinyl is dirt cheap, and in 15 years time, when it will be all the rage again I will still be glad I kept buying vinyl (except I really didn't know that vinyl would make a comeback :laugh: )

Rocketdog, Freek999 and Jmac1979 like this.
  6. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Exactly! Love that.

mBen989 likes this.
  7. themisto

themisto Forum Resident

I was living in Germany in 1995, and just couldn't get my hands on Gold Experience on vinyl. Neither Saturn in Cologne (one of the largest record stores in Europe at the time), nor my usually vinyl-well-stocked store in Bonn carried it (they did have plenty of 1994 Black Album and Come copies though). Only by accident, did I come across a single Gold copy in a small record shop in Rome on Oct. 13th of that year - even by then, was I aware of the scarcity of the record!

Turntable, Rocketdog and harmonica98 like this.
  8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I had a Symbol shaped keychain once. Bought it at a Paisley Park “garage sale.” I sat down once too quickly. Ouch. Those things were pointy.

If there is a Symbol shaped USB drive, please don’t put it in your pocket.

hamicle and Greenalishi like this.
  9. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Weird. Did not realise it was so hard to come by. Will never part with mine.

themisto likes this.
  10. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I'm beginning to think the Emancipation set was never happening. Surely by now we'd have gotten some news given it's support to hit in early September and it's been a month since the links popped up

11. themisto

themisto Forum Resident

This might have to do with the estate still trying to squeeze sales/interest out of Originals, which has only been out on vinyl less than a week?

12. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

We knew about Originals before the Rave vinyl releases. If these were coming in early September, more preorders would be up than just a foreign site

13. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

let's hope the reason is because the emphasis will be on 1999 deluxe box (and yes I know they're 2 different rec companies)

14. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Let's hope vinyl lovers don't get jipped again with the 1999 deluxe like we were with Purple Rain. We want the unreleased material on vinyl, not a picture disc or a straightforward reissue of an album that was already back in print

jdrueke, englishbob, Jayseph and 3 others like this.
  15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Porkpie, bataclan2002 and Greenalishi like this.
  16. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

17. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Great to see the three albums been reissued

Turntable, Jmac1979 and joeislive like this.
  18. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I like the way they split up the sides for Emancipation.

Emancipation LP 1
    1. Jam of the Year
    2. Right Back Here In My Arms
    3. Somebody's Somebody
    4. Get Yo Groove On
    5. Courtin' Time
    6. Betcha By Golly Wow!

Emancipation LP 2
    1. We Gets Up
    2. White Mansion
    3. Damned If Eye Do
    4. Eye Can't Make U Love Me
    5. Mr. Happy
    6. In This Bed Eye Scream

Emancipation LP 3
    1. Sex In the Summer
    2. One Kiss at a Time
    3. Soul Sanctuary
    4. Emale
    5. Curious Child
    6. Dreamin' About U

Emancipation LP 4
    1. Joint 2 Joint
    2. The Holy River
    3. Let's Have a Baby
    4. Saviour
    5. The Plan
    6. Friend, Lover, Sister, Mother/Wife

Emancipation LP 5
    1. Slave
    2. New World
    3. The Human Body
    4. Face Down
    5. La, La, La Means I Love You
    6. Style

Emancipation LP 6
    1. Sleep Around
    2. Da, Da, Da
    3. My Computer
    4. One of Us
    5. The Love We Make
    6. Emancipation

19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Press release:

The Prince Estate and Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment, are pleased to announce the next round of physical titles set for release as part of the ongoing and definitive Prince catalog project.

On September 13, 2019, three albums from the mid-1990s will be reissued on CD and vinyl: Chaos and Disorder, Emancipation, and the mixtape The Versace Experience (Prelude 2 Gold), which will be widely released for the first time ever.

The Versace Experience was created to foreshadow Prince’s first album credited to his symbol, The Gold Experience, and was distributed as a cassette-only mixtape to attendees at Paris Fashion Week in June 1995.

Chaos and Disorder was Prince's final studio album for Warner Bros. Records, and was released amidst a public battle between the Artist and his label. The album serves as a vivid time capsule of that tumultuous era, and proof of just how quickly he could transmit his ideas to tape.
    The three-album, 36-track Emancipation was Prince's first post-Warner Bros. release, and was distributed in a unique partnership between EMI and his new independent label, NPG Records. Some of the tracks on Emancipation dealt directly with his opinions about the industry, while others reflected on his tender feelings toward his new wife, Mayte Garcia.

These new reissues are the first time that The Versace Experience will have a wider release, and will be the first time that all three albums — The Versace Experience, Chaos and Disorder, and Emancipation — will be available on vinyl.

Source: Prince

Hep Alien, Turntable, ad180 and 3 others like this.
  20. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Chaos and Disorder is such a terrible, terrible album

Emancipation is just too expensive and ridiculous release at 6 disc, it will be about £130+ in the UK if the US price is already $99.

21. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I love how the Facebook comments sections are whining about profiting off a dead man and betraying his legacy. Putting albums back in print (and one that wasn't available widely prior to now) is just common sense, especially for those albums previously unavailable on vinyl

22. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Ignore Facebook. 9 times out of 10 the people who leave comments are people who will see a Prince (or whatever artist) page, think oh I like some of his songs and then see things like this and make stupid uninformed comments,acting all self righteous, not realizing that music is a business that will continue to march on. I see the same thing in the comments section for Bowies FB page.

John Rhett Thomas and Jmac1979 like this.
  23. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

True that. As a huge fan of both Prince and Bowie, one of the things that has softened the blow of losing them is that vaults have been opened and albums have been put back in print. Hell with Bowie it's been such a windfall that a lot of people want the estate to slow it down lol

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  24. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

One of my “favorite” comments I see often when something new is announced is “Isn’t (insert artist here) dead?”

Jmac1979 likes this.
  25. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

... in the positive sense of the word.
    Chaos and Disorder is an amazing album. One of his best from the 90s!!