Prince Estate Signs Deal With Sony Music to Re-Release 35 Catalog Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

All of those Rhino reissues were excellent pressings and great dynamics, I’d recommend people looking for his “purple patch” (I know) get these before potentially more expensive reissues come along.

2. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

A very 1960s Americanism. Interesting subject if one is interested in languages but I am glad it never caught on elsewhere. It is very ugly slang.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm interested in unreleased studio albums.

vnehring, Jimmy Agates and uncle like this.
  4. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

One of the fan group's i used to be in (I'm no longer on social media) did the artwork for Phase 1 and 2. He had been commissioned to produce artwork for future HitnRun releases in the same style. Of course that also came to an abrupt end. Pity really as Phase 2 was pretty cool

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  5. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Did he say how many he was commissioned for? I was only aware that Prince had plans for a third HitnRun (which I don't believe he had any firm tracks for), but it's certainly possible he planned more. My understanding is that he had several things lined up after his Piano tour ended.

6. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Isn´t H&R III what Tidal is planning to release next year?

Osato likes this.
  7. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

I'll ask. Think he went by the name Herjan or something. He's credited on the albums.

Osato likes this.
  8. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

Martin Homent. He recently did a tshirt for a friend. I've asked her to ask him.

www.martinhoment.com

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  9. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Sony Legacy - urgh - not hopeful of decent vinyl editions then.

Their imprint has been pretty crappy in Europe, the only decent ones where the ones they just repressed from the Music on Vinyl editions (with the MOV stampers). They should give them to MOV to cut. Bet they won't though. In an ideal world they should let Kevin Gray finish his work.

10. englishbob

Me too, but not from this era

Grant likes this.
  11. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I want a The Undertaker on vinyl.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  12. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Will the Black Album be re-issued?

Greenalishi and fatwad666 like this.
  13. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

I hope to god they compile them by era and in a sensible way though, nothing worse than having a New Power Generation track next to an outtake from Controversy.

14. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Don't get your hopes up.

CBackley likes this.
  15. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

17 Days is...okay. I can’t believe the estate is going to make people pay for Prince just noodling around on the piano for 38 minutes or whatever.

16. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Nobody is making anybody pay. You, the consumer, have a choice. And plenty of options to decide whether they want to pay for "noodling" or not.

Plenty of people paid for a third generation cassette copy transferred to bootleg CD with bad noise reduction. Why wouldn't the estate release it from the original source?

ilo2 and fatwad666 like this.
  17. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

You are correct. I should have phrased that better.

I find it shocking that the estate/WB is charging as much as they are for 38 minutes of noodling. Albeit noodling at the highest order.

905, rubberhead and ad180 like this.
  18. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

:laugh:

It's really great noodling. I love hearing where he takes songs (or the songs take him).

CBackley likes this.
  19. englishbob

Not on this deal. Probably still lies with Warners.

Sony deal was for anything on NPG records I'm guessing, as The Gold Experience was on the NPG label but still on Warners, but seems to be a part of the Sony deal now.

What is annoying is that until his death Warners where reissuing vinyl cuts up to Sign O the Times , mostly by Kevin Gray or Bernie Grundman. After he died the announcements stopped, but albums like Lovesexy and Graffiti Bridge where appearing on release schedules.

No doubt those new cuts and gathering dust somewhere. Warners should be at least allowed to finish their vinyl reissue programme, as they where pretty decent.

Mark_TB and CBackley like this.
  20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I personally think live releases from the 90's-2000's could rehabilitate a lot of the material on some of his studio albums from that period, and anything from the Dirty Mind-Controversy-1999 era could be amazing. I'm more interested in this than studio outtakes from the 90's that weren't good enough to make multiple triple-disc albums. I'll always give new studio outtakes a solid listen, but I'm not holding my breath on that many of them being mind-blowing.

Greenalishi likes this.
  21. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I have been an avid Prince fan from the early 80s ... I'm passing on this barrel-scrape. Give us the top-shelf Prince for once, this second-best stuff has been the case even when Prince was among us.

CBackley likes this.
  22. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

Mojo interviewed The Revolution a few months ago. One of the boxouts had the Estate's reasoning behind this release.

23. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

can you give the gist of it?

24. Shrdlu

Shrdlu Forum Resident

And, as usual, the mammoth record company gets most of the money.

25. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

I'll try find it. It may be in my locker at work.