Prince Estate Signs Deal With Sony Music to Re-Release 35 Catalog Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Me, too. I could care a whole lot about unreleased live shows.

CBackley likes this.
  2. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maurice, fatwad666, ad180 and 2 others like this.
  3. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

I think it's a fairly honest answer and reason why it's been chosen. I'm looking forward to it.

TonyCzar and bataclan2002 like this.
  4. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

This'll be the first Prince release I have ever passed on . . . for a number of reasons. Ones that it isn't all that compelling and #2 I won't shell out over $10.00 for 30 minutes of music.

5. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

It’s not 30 minutes of music. It’s 15 minutes of music and 15 minutes of noodling.

905, Davidmk5 and Grant like this.
  6. masswriter

oh, thats even better.

905, Davidmk5 and CBackley like this.
  7. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

Parade. 40 minutes.

For You. 33 minutes.

Dirty Mind. 30 minutes.

I'll be buying it because i want to, I'm a Prince fan, i collect Prince albums, I'm a vinyl enthusiast, i can afford to.

8. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I think his point his that this album consists of skeletons of songs and "noodling". The albums you speak of are complete songs that are fully produced.
    Same here for me. I can listen to it on Spotify and that's enough for me. I don't need to purchase this.

905, Grant and CBackley like this.
  9. masswriter

I predict that this latest outing will be Prince's poorest seller yet . .

Davidmk5, Grant and CBackley like this.
  10. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

Rather this than another HitnRun Phase 1 any day of the week. Mind you I'd rather be served a turd in a trifle than another Phase 1.

Izozeles and CBackley like this.
  11. masswriter

I'd rather have finished songs that may be hit or miss than low-grade piano doodling ... when you have heard enough sound checks, after shows, and outtakes, you realize that what they are offering is something sub-par because it wasn't meant for release, but meant for Prince's personal use, whatever that may be.
    It's a really puzzling baffling release that doesn't bode well for the future.

Davidmk5, Grant and CBackley like this.
  12. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Definitely save your $10 for the unreleased Tony M album no doubt in the vaults and pass on this.

13. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Fair enough.

One of the most fascinating art exhibitions I ever went to was of Leonardo da Vinci's sketchbooks. It was fascinating to see the early stages of what became some of his greatest paintings and inventions.

Ultimately, I'd rather look at the final Mona Lisa than a few prototype, pencilled portrait sketches. But now I have seen his sketches I have a greater understanding of where some of the master pieces came from.

Likewise, in the long run I will probably listen to the final versions of Strange Relationship, Purple Rain and 17 Days more than the early demos on this album. But the demos here show the roots of what are, to me, singular pop classics.

The same analogy could be made of any properly presented outtake or bootleg series, like those of Dylan or Miles or The Beatles.

nytechy, sparkmeister and ad180 like this.
  14. masswriter

Fine, add it as a download bonus with an actual full fledged actual-produced release, maybe one of dozens of album configurations that Prince took the time to create. This is just weak non-committal fan-pandering.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  15. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

From the interviews it sounded like they are nowhere near done catalogging his stuff to figure out what would go with which reissue project. This cassette was its own thing so they were able to rush it out as a standalone.

16. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

To be honest yes, I would prefer it if these songs were packaged in the way you suggest.

On the other hand, I understand that, after all the disputes and delays over ownership of Prince's material, the estate wanted something they could get out quickly and easily, as a way to -yes- cash in on the interest in him so soon after his death.

Also, this release is helping to build interest in his deep catalogue, for which I am thankful.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I listened to it and it is my opinion that some things should have been left in the vault.

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

To me, The Beatles boots and outtakes are much more interesting.

CBackley likes this.
  19. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Since Prince was a dynamic live performer, I'm hoping for unreleased live VIDEOS

20. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

HitnRun Phase 1 rears its ugly head once more.

Davidmk5 and CBackley like this.
  21. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't watch them. The many i have sit on a hardrive never having been seen by myself.

Fans. We'll never all be happy. We even moaned when he was alive. Those karaoke sections of the live shows were wasted time if you ask me. And i loved hearing him play covers whereas others wanted his own material.

Some fans even liked Jughead.

.... i like Jughead :(

Izozeles, ad180 and Grant like this.
  22. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I would love this, but that would be a 5 Lp box set, right ? (180 minutes of music).

Bring it on ! Along with a 5 Lp "Crystal ball" box. :)

And while we're at it, consider making physical versions of Xpectation, Chocolate invasion, Slaughterhouse, and C-note :)

Rimshottbob, Davidmk5 and CBackley like this.
  23. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Davidmk5 likes this.
  24. ilo2

ilo2 Well-Known Member

... like you're in the room with him.

25. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Thank you!!! :D