Prince - Purple Rain Deluxe Edition 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wolfram, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Moonbeam Levels on the previous compilation was bootleg source IIRC.

Lewisboogie and CBackley like this.
  2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

So is the consensus here that the first disc is mastered poorly, but the remaining discs are decent and essentially the best sound quality for digital versions?

MikeManaic61 likes this.
  3. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I would add that the consensus is also that the outages are so amazing that anyone should get them in any available format. . But, coming to your question, I think you’re right

SamS likes this.
  4. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

There was initially a post in this thread, which indicated a re-sequenced tracklist for Disc 3 that I found much more enjoyable to listen to as an experience than the actual tracklist. Unfortunately, the image indicating the track order has gone away, so I'm sharing what I jotted down below (hopefully it's accurate).

When Doves Cry 7"
    Tracks: 1, 2

Let's Go Crazy 7"
    Tracks: 3, 5

Purpose Rain 7"
    Tracks: 7, 8

I Would Die 4 U 7"
    Tracks: 12, 10

Take Me with U 7"
    Tracks: 15, 14

Extended Mixes
    Tracks: 4, 6, 9, 13, 11

If programming into a CD player: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 10, 15, 14, 4, 6, 9, 13, 11

snipe likes this.
  5. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Basically I programmed it, Singles Edits, BSides, extended versions. I'm assuming that's what you did but it's kind of hard to follow how you wrote it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Lewisboogie likes this.
  6. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I own 2 separate c.d. sets entitled "PRINCE-THE WORK" VOLUME'S 1 & 2......are these sets considered important....comprehensive?I bought them years ago despite my weariness of bootleg anything.i love PRINCE and have the deluxe "1999" super deluxe c.d. set on the way.....

7. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

They are, but they're very out of date, and have been superseded by other collections with better sound quality.

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  8. Sebastian saglimbenI

Yes sound quality is what scares me OFF most bootlegs....though I have a 2c.d. bootleg of NICK LOWE That is amazing!I like these two 4c.d. sets of PRINCE demos though.

9. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

The Work collections were smothered in badly-implemented noise reduction. Avoid.

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I think the tracklisting that was leaked is a much better listen, I mentioned it back in this post: Prince - Purple Rain Deluxe Edition 2017

11. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Received my '1999' CD Deluxe Set today:goodie:.

Will most likely not get to hear it until the weekend, as need to play a few CDs I bought from Sellers on Ebay and Discogs and received the past few days to make sure there are no playback issues.

12. Sebastian saglimbenI

I wish I knew that back in 2007 when I bought them.....

13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Which boot has the best sounding "Extraloveable"? The Blast from the Past 1.0 mastering sounds worse than some of the YouTube uploads out there, with much less clarity.

14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

You don't have to buy any of those bootlegs. :) That stuff is shared online as soon as they ship.

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  15. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

The Work 2.0 is 34 CDs, I believe.

It won't be flac, but there are some good-sounding "Extralovable"s on YouTube. Here's one (which seems to be a bit longer than others):

"door number pants" :laugh:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  16. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Blast From The Past 3.0. :righton:

C6H12O6 likes this.
  17. djnathan7

djnathan7 Forum Resident

Am listening to the remaster on Tidal and feel mixed on it. It does have a crisper and punchier sound with a better atmosphere but it loses the natural sound free from compression and character of the original. I for sure prefer the original.

18. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

so does everyone else :) the PR remaster was awful is also the general consensus

1999 and SOTT though are superb

CBackley likes this.
  19. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

Pretty sure the estate know the 2017 Deluxe was a flawed rush job, and they'll be more than keen to get it right for the 40th anniversary in 2024. Based on nothing, but I think they'd also do away with the Prince approved master from 2014 for a remastering job done by someone with actual remastering experience.

groovelocked and Galley like this.
  20. Brad Bowman

Brad Bowman Well-Known Member

What I'm curious about is not necessarily the quality of the audio but if everything between the 2 (DVD and FM Radio Broadcast) is exactly the same? Any post- Overdubs done for the DVD or is it precisely authentic to the actual performance? Also is anything edited out of the DVD that appears on the Radio Broadcast?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  21. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

Indeed. We'll probably see a 10 disc super deluxe reissue in that year at this rate (half joking) - and you know what, they can take my money right now if that's the case.

22. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm Thread Starter

I didn't compare every single element on these, but as I see it, they are identical. The bootleg CD and my DVD rip have a 4 seconds difference in length, so no differences in content. And I don't think they added anything to the DVD. From what I know it's simply the live broadcast for TV they did in '85. I remember watching it back then a teenager, being excited as hell.

Brad Bowman likes this.
  23. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I wish I purchased the Hi Res 192/24 Prince catalog from 2013 while they were available... unfortunately I have no access to Qobuz so I'm out of luck other than finding original CDs. On a side note, there was a great 3 hour interview done by Sunset Sound Studios with Prince's recording engineer Peggy McCreary that was just posted in two parts last week for those interested. Some pretty funny stories talking about the 1999 - Purple Rain time periods, my favorite is Prince trying desperately to avoid Stevie Nicks at a party:

24. Brad Bowman

Brad Bowman Well-Known Member

Do you recall if Sheila Es opening set before Prince came on was a part of the original radio or TV broadcast?

25. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm Thread Starter

It's been 36 years, so I might very well be wrong, but I think it was just the Prince show that was broadcasted on German TV.

Brad Bowman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.