Prince - Purple Rain Deluxe Edition 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wolfram, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yeah. It looks like they put most of their resources into the packaging. We have to remember that the whole point is to pay down the debt that he left.

Nope. Up until now, there's only been one CD version. I think I still have my first run pressing of the WB vinyl, too.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. Grant

I'm listening to it on Spotify right now. It sounds congested with no air or space. You can really hear the limiter in action. The sound only goes so high and levels off so there are no dynamics. It also sounds like the treble and bass were boosted. All very in your face sound. I don't want this.

That reviewer someone quoted upthread was right to a T!

scobb likes this.
  3. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

You refer to a secret remaster. In 2015, Prince sat with the mastering engineer and worked on this project. What does it have to do with what you asked? It was the first and ONLY time this has really been remastered. The vinyl version from 2009-ish was mastered to vinyl again from the original tapes, but I'm not sure that counts as a proper remaster. In the same post, I was addressing someone else's comment about passing on this release because some website said it was brickwalled. Maybe there's some arbitrary official rule is that I should have replied separately to that post and if I don't people would get all wound up? I'm not sure I really give a **** though.

4. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

Spotify are 256kbps heavily compressed downloads. Don't most of them sound like this?

5. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Spotify uses 320kbps last time I checked, and a good mastering will shine through at that bitrate.

Actually, to clarify, Spotify uses three rates. 96kbps is the free/low quality mobile tier. 160kbps is the standard web or desktop tier, and the high quality mobile tier. 320kbps is the upper tier for paying members on desktop and mobile.

RoyalScam, TonyCzar and HanowarHAIL like this.
  6. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

If that's the case, the bitrate wont be the biggest problem listening to this...

7. Grant

It's a decent representation of what we're getting.

But, I am down to the unreleased tracks, and I am seriously digging "Wonderful Ass"! It's some serious R&B groovin' going on here! I guess they reeled me in. I gotta own this! God this song jams! Why did Prince keep this locked up? He could have had a hit with it!

ribonucleic, Jayseph, DiabloG and 4 others like this.
  8. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

And it's in ogg vorbis, which is better than mp3 at the same bitrate. Spotify isn't the problem here.

Merrick likes this.
  9. RevolutionDoctor

RevolutionDoctor Forum Resident

Yeah, it's a great song ! Why not a single ? Maybe too many contenders ? (about half of the album). Then there's b-sides that could've been hits too. Prince just had too many good songs for the record industry to keep up with his pace. Hence so many good outtakes, songs for others. Truly mindblowing.

10. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Listen with your ears not your eyes :) My first impression on Spotify Premium using earbods was positive...

Vel, Musician95616 and intv7 like this.
  11. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

First impression: great set :)

Vel, Mr Olsen and englishbob like this.
  12. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

My first impression is positive, too. Used HD600 & 24/96 hi-res audio from HDtracks.
    Audio glitches are there, but I'm glad that songs like Love And Sex, We Can **** and Electric Intercourse are out. It's worth every penny.

Vel, Mr Olsen and englishbob like this.
  13. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

If you think that a song called "Wonderful Ass" could have been a major pop hit in 1984, you may be under 50...

14. Graham

Graham Senior Member

The deluxe set is £17 on Amazon UK now, but based on the feedback above don't think I'll bother.

15. robbie77

robbie77 New Member

Don't bother then . I buy stuff for the songs not perfect sound quality. Your loss. And this release blows Sgt pepper etc out the water and they missed a lot off.

Man at C&A and Freek999 like this.
  16. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon but got charged £19.99 - the pre-order price. So much for their pre-order price promise :realmad:

17. BlueGangsta

You buy something that labelled "remastered" and don't expect quality in the sound? Interesting.

marcb, Grant, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  18. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Just received my vinyl and 3CD set

Deadwax has KM @ CA in it

Will give it a listen later today

EDIT - Correction - one side has KMswiggle@CA and the other looks like KswiggleG@CA - so assuming its Kevin Gray as is definitely says @CA

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  19. nickg

nickg Forum Resident

Well, it's definitely louder. I started listening on Apple Music and Take Me With U felt like I was being smacked in the face by Apollonia at the end of it. I didn't remember it being so bright, so I went back to my copy of the HDTracks older release and sure enough it feels more subdued there.

That said, I've never listened to any of the B sides or 12" remixes or anything so I'm excited for that!

Vel, ribonucleic and Grant like this.
  20. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Don't get your knickers in a twist. It's called voting with your wallet.

I'm downloading the bonus disc right now to see if the purchase is worth it for me. Already have a mint LP of the album proper.

21. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Some random first impressions of the deluxe set after having owned it for a day:

- The Purple Rain remaster actually sounds a little better than the terrible waveforms posted in this thread suggest. Still, certainly not an improvement over the original CD or the SHM-CD... I blame Joshua A.M. Welton :D

- The other CD's in this set were mastered by Bernie Grundman and sound OK (apart from the dropouts etc.)

- Excellent liner notes by Susan Rogers and members of The Revolution! Well worth reading.

- Love the outtakes-disc (even though I have had some of these songs on bootlegs for ages)! Highlights for me are Wonderful Ass, We Can F**k and Father's Song. A couple of songs are a bit insubstantial like Love and Sex, Velvet Kitty Kat and Katrina's Paper Dolls.

- The digi-pack looks nice, but is flimsy and impractical. I would have been willing to pay more (between $10-$20) for better packaging.

davers, ad180, thekid87 and 1 other person like this.
  22. BlueGangsta

Jill Jones just leaked Wednesday, Killing At The Soda Shop and her version of Our Destiny (where you can hear Roadhouse Garden fade in).

Opa Gangtean

23. Are they all 24/96? Several of them from Qobuz are only 24/44 while others are 24/96. The hallway speech version is 24/44.

24. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

That is what has been eating at me trough this, we've been waiting so long already, what was the hurry now that they couldn't just wait a little longer until things were settled and they could do everything right.

Or: "hey, why don't we wait with this until we have access to the vault and the actual master tapes".

Does it say that specifically?

"When's Day" :)

BlueGangsta likes this.
  25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

WHOA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.