Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. I won't lie; my eyes got misty. This is special.

As to the recording, itself: the start of the song is a little jarring because one is expecting piano, but no matter, it's very 1984, moreover, that is quickly forgotten as it eclipses any other version, especially The Family's version. Those "Oh, oh, oh, oh" bits after a verse lines, are more recessed here, not near as unbalanced as The Family version, because of Prince's guitar coming in. It makes me wonder why they P didn't just have The Family sing over his original recording. Nonetheless, what really brings this version over the top is Prince's layered vocals and more dense instrumentation. There's that guitar gliding and sliding around in the background.

This was meant as a Prince song, originally. One he shouldn't have given away, but by giving it away it only made his legacy more rich.

Intense!

Jayseph, sunspot42 and Purple Jim like this.
  2. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

jhm, MikaelaArsenault and EVOLVIST like this.
  3. Smart people sometimes do stupid things. I, too, think it's a little more deeper than this. On the other hand, they put it to rest, and I hope it stays at rest. After two years it's really time to focus on the music, his legacy...and even more friggin' music! If there happens to be more nefarious causes behind P's death, those involved will have to live with that.

I have to live with his music. That's it. That's the only way to fill the void he left with his absence.

asindc, MikaelaArsenault and ccbarr like this.
  4. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Unfortunately we're in an era where readability will always be sacrificed at the altar of graphic design flair. Showoffs gotta show off.

5. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Apparently the cause of death was Vicadin laced with fentanyl. Since the authorities can't determine how he acquired this particular Vicadin, no one was charged.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

Love it! Super happy to hear this in much better quality than the bootlegs! Hope there's more to come from the Vault!

7. When did this leak? I was only keeping up with the leaks for about a month after his death, right around when "Wally" leaked, but the audiophile in me couldn't stand the craptastic quality any longer. I had been listening to garbage P boots for 20 years.

Don't tell me it was leaked before his death. I wouldn't know how I missed it.

8. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Very nice. This is my new favourite version of Nothing Compares 2U (before, it was Skinhead O'Connor's version).

And the video - Prince and the Revolution could move!

I hope this release is the start of a long campaign of vault releases.

SinisterGinger and EVOLVIST like this.
  9. Out of the three new sites, one of them appears to be dedicated solely to music release: Prince – Nothing Compares 2 U

As much as I still love holding that physical copy in hand, a well planned and executed download service is the way to maximize profits and cut down overhead. This can either be done with, without, or in conjunction with a physical release, but of it meant getting more music without an LP or CD copy, I would be all for it.

10. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Interesting that they mixed the strings and background vocals from The Family version in there.

Now we have all these (based of off the original):
    - Original Prince Version with no strings (Bootleg)
    - Original The Family version with all instruments (Paul Peterson's Myspace leak)
    - Released The Family version with just synths, strings and horn
    - New 2018 remix with all instruments and Paul & Susannah's background vocals

Freek999 likes this.
  11. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Ahhh. That was a treat to see and hear. I'm used to the bootleg so it was really nice to hear it in top quality and that colour rehearsal footage, the high quality stuff, looks great. It's good to finally have some signs of activity from the estate.

englishbob likes this.
  12. It's not a remix if the song was never mixed for intended release in the first place.

13. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The song was mixed and intended for release. It's on The Family.

14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Is this a Magazine?
    If so, is it sold at Barnes & Noble(US)?

The Anniversary of his Death falls on RSD this Year. I will most likely get the RSD 1999 Release if availble and I have the money after getting the Bowie Releases(Welcome to the Blackout-Live and 'Let's Dance), Steven Wilson-How Big the Space(seeing him in Concert next week), The Doors Live Matrix, Pink Floyd-Pipers Mono, and Jeff Buckley-Live at Sin-E(although that is pretty high priced, so might just live with the CD Set I have owned for years). Also, The CURE- 'Mixed Up' & 'Torn Down' Picture Disc(although can wait for the eventual release on Black Vinyl and CDs) & The National & Duran Duran-Budokan Live Releases. I might need to limit my purchases to Bowie, Wilson, The Doors, Pink Floyd & Prince.

15. Heh. :) My point is, so much of Prince's unreleased music is a blank slate for mixing and presentation, as long as they don't fly-in music from unrelated sessions, and unrelated musicians, al la Jimi Hendrix. I don't worry about that with Prince, though. Even his demos sound like most people's polished masters.

We have copious Prince boots, but very few session masters, so what's actually on the reels when they pull up the faders is unknown. Even with dupes of masters like Dream Factory, we really don't know, 100%, if any further work and/or any additional masters exist.

My statement wasn't directed at you; it was simply directed at the assumptions that are gleaned from various bootleg bibles, which are fraught with errors and incomplete data.

A Prince version was not mixed and intended for release.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  16. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

I got it a few months back - can't remember where exactly but it also had the demo for Sister and Prince's vocal versions of the rest of the Family tracks. As far as I remember, the boot sounded like it was taken from a cassette dub and it was missing a few things that were present in this mix!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  17. djej

djej Forum Resident

Only available to order on Amazon to my knowledge. Wax Poetics handed over printing and distribution to them.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  18. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

There is

SinisterGinger likes this.
  19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

You might want Issue #50 as well, if you need to have it all. My wife got be issues 50 and 67 for my birthday!

https://smile.amazon.com/Wax-Poetic...1524172340&sr=8-2&keywords=wax+poetics+prince

[​IMG]

20. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

21. djej

djej Forum Resident

Here is what they posted on their social media page in February:

“Wax Poetics is no longer publishing and distributing as a traditional newsstand magazine any longer. While we had every intention to continue as normal with Issue 67, this fall we realized we would not be able to and had to cease magazine operations.

We and our writers worked very hard on the new Prince Issue, so we are happy to offer a print edition in a hybrid journal form with no ads, available as paperback and hardcover as a Print-on-Demand product from Amazon. Presale is available on our webstore now.

Current subscribers will receive a digital edition.”

ando here likes this.
  22. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

What baffles me is that 1) he'd OD a week earlier, so he would have known that whatever it was he was taking (regardless of what the label purported) was deadly strong and 2) he'd agreed to undergo treatment, why didn't he have someone stay with him that last night before treatment was to start? Some one who could have monitored his breathing and administered Narcan or called 911 if necessary?

EVOLVIST likes this.
  23. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

There were major Stories on both NBC & ABC 6:30 News tonight on the Death of Prince, and that he did not realize he was taking a dangerous drug(if I understood correctly, Percocet that also contained Fentynol, but I might be wrong on that, but seems like he had no idea how dangerous the drug that was given to him). Does not sound like Criminal Charges will be brought against any Doctor or other Individual though. Makes his death even more sad.

He seemed to have come around in recent years and if still religious, not such a Jehovah's Witness Cult Fanatic, by making up with Wendy or Lisa(forget which one) that he criticized in the past for being a Gay Person, after one of them ripped into him for his intolerance. Then he donated money for several good causes without letting anyone know about his donations. Then, his last album had a tribute song to Freddie Gray, who died in the police van, in what appeared to be Blue Shield of Silence Coverup.

He was a strange dude, back in the early 2000s, based on the funny Kevin Smith Story on YouTube about his visit to Paisley Park at the request of Prince to discuss making a movie on his Religious Movement(CULT Fans, who would hang out for Seminars and Meetings at Paisley Park, but he certainly was vital in leading a movment to make the Artist in Control of their own Music, where the Music Labels rip off most Music Artists. Jay Z learned well from Prince. I guess Kate Bush was ahead of her time in this aspect of the Music Business, as only in her her younger years and demanding full control of her Music Catalog from what I have read, if that is correct. Would have loved to have heard Prince & Kate Bush talk about the Music industry when he recorded a song with her for her 'Red Shoes' Album.

24. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

From Rolling Stone:

Prince's Paisley Park is Seeking an Archives Supervisor

Prince's Paisley Park is hiring an archives supervisor, Pitchfork reports. The late singer's private estate and production complex outside Minneapolis was turned into a permanent museum in 2016.

According to a job listing posted on American Alliance of Museums' career website, the full-time position is in the Archives Department, which is considered a confidential work area. The position entails maintaining and monitoring the exhibits, maintaining and updating the archival database system, photographing and scanning artifacts, assisting with exhibition installations and training staff, among other requirements.

The position also involves locating, retrieving and preparing artifacts for display and loans. Last fall, several items from Paisley Park were displayed at London's O2 Arena for the My Name Is Prince exhibit. "This is the first time we’ve taken any items out of Paisley Park," Prince's sister Tyka Nelson said at the time. "I'm so excited to be able to meet the fans and share their Prince stories and give them hugs, and have a cry with them if need be."

On Thursday, Paisley Park will kick off Celebration 2018. The four-day gathering coincides with the two-year anniversary of Prince's death on April 21st. The event will include performances, panel discussions, a concert film screening and other presentations. Sheila E., fDeluxe – the group formerly known as the Family featuring Susannah Melvoin, Eric Leeds, Jellybean Johnson – and the live debut of a new supergroup composed of members of Paisley Park and New Power Generation alumni are among those scheduled to play its second annual event.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  25. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident