Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

EndorphinMachine is one of Prince’s best songs ever! :)

2. Yeah, I don't like it one damn bit, but then again I have a predisposition to despising the term "R.I.P." or "Rest In Peace," as it sounds like a catch-all phrase that people just throw out there for a lack of something meaningful to say. So, I mean, yeah, Prince didn't rest in life, so why would we wish him rest in death when he might not want anything of the kind...? - or while he was alive the thought of "resting" in death might have repulsed him.

Anyway, it's nothing against you. It's my own cross to bear if I don't like it. I was very pleased that Prince's death page had somehow (miraculously) missed that trite little phrase that gets my panties in a bunch. But hey, by all means, carry on. :D

MortSahlFan likes this.
  3. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

@EVOLVIST: I did also suggest something along the lines of "Prince tribute thread" or something like that. The original title was just taken from the TMZ headline, it worked for bringing the news, but I have disked it more and more each time I have seen it as time went and this thread turned into something else (and it seems to want to survive, I think it is great for posting random stuff, the other threads fall away and disappear, but this will probably remain). I haven't done anything like this before (I don't think I have ever contacted a Gort, except one time when a thread turned severely racist), maybe I got carried away and it was probably not my thing to do... Feel free to change it back or to something else, sorry... :oops:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  4. Nah, it's cool, man. I mean, he's gone any way you look at it, and these are just words among the living. It really doesn't matter. I shouldn't let those words bother me. I'm sure Prince can't be bothered, so it's all good. :)

5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

@EVOLVIST: :cheers:

I do see what you mean about "R.I.P." being a bit of an meaningless catch-all (and maybe I don't have the same feeling for it as a non-English speaker), but then this thread has become a bit of a catch-all as well (though I hope far from meaningless) it could just be called "Prince" at this point.

-

Anyway, back to my post before this, which maybe got a bit lost as I inadvertedly caused the thread to disappear right after (didn't know that would happen), I'm really looking forward to getting more late era videos up on YouTube, I was disappointed when the regular uploading stopped just as it was getting interesting.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

The thread title sucks because of the news it conveys. ****ing dammit man, I want Prince back from the dead.

Purple Jim likes this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Prince lives!
    There's the thread title

EVOLVIST likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Preach, brother! :D

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  9. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

11. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

13. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I’ve been on an Emancipation high lately, revisiting that album and enjoying it more than ever. So this latest batch of vids is great timing.

14. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

"Hot Wit U (Nasty Girl Remix)":

(The highlight of Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic i.m.o., at least as far as the remixes go.)

Purple Jim likes this.
  15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

"Interactive":

(From The Beautiful Experience TV Special, which has some unique music in it, I wish we could get a good quality upload of the whole thing eventually.)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    bataclan2002 and Purple Jim like this.
  16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

"Love Sign" (w. Nona Gaye):

(Great standalone track that gets a bit lost in the shuffle, since it wasn't on any album [it's included o the 1-800 New Funk compilation]. As this wasn't originally credited exclusively to Prince [even though it is now] hopefully this means NPG videos will appear as well.)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    mtvgeneration and bataclan2002 like this.
  17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Great song. I prefer the version on Crystal Ball though.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  18. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

A lot of his 90s stuff is good, but also rather generic R&B. It just seemed to lack a certain sparkle that his more inspired stuff does.

ceddy10165 likes this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Less sparkle yes but I felt that there was too much sparkle on a lot of the 80s material - too many fizzy synths and drum machines for my taste. I like the 90s material because it got more stripped down, more rootsy.

jhm likes this.
  20. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Yeah, it's a matter of taste for sure. His last few albums had some of the sparkle his 80s stuff had in spades.

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think his last 10 years were very up and down. 3121 wasn't too bad but then I found little that pleased me on Planet Earth. Lotusflow3r/MPL Sound was an upswing but then 20Ten was very disappointing. Plectrumelectrum, Art Official Age and HitnRun Phase One did little for me but HnR Phase Two was great.

22. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

"U Make My Sun Shine" (w. Angie Stone):

(Just one new video this Friday and another duet, great song [even if the video isn't that exciting, don't think I've seen it before]. This was originally released as a single and probably meant to go on the aborted album High, but later ended up on The Chocolate Invasion instead.)

bataclan2002 likes this.
  23. bataclan2002

I noticed they edited a** from the first line. Hmmm....

24. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

That's strange, I found an older upload of the video where the word is present. It is taken out via a remix, as there's a high hat tap still present on the same beat, so maybe there were two versions of the video made and they've just happened to pick the clean one here.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  25. bataclan2002

Yeah I found it odd too. It wasn’t edited during the NPG music club days when you would kind of expect it to be.
    Prince has a history of weird things like that. I remember when Playboy Channel aired Gett Off, the word “wet” was edited out. Yes, you read correctly:“wet.” And yes, Gett Off. And yes, Playboy bloody Channel. Go figure.