Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

It sounds a little bit like Crazy You, a personal favorite

BlueGangsta likes this.
  2. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Appreciate the Links:wave:.

3. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can't believe it's been three years now. Still hurts.

Jmac1979, Sean, Turntable and 3 others like this.
  4. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

"Think about it, Prince grows up this poor black kid on a march to nowhere in a nowhere white town, and when the news announces 'Prince has died' - there have been princes for 10,000 years, there must be princes in Saudi Arabia and Europe and Africa right now - nobody said 'Prince who?' The color purple has been part of the universe since the Big Bang. Prince dies, they bathe global monuments in purple, nobody says, 'Why?' I think from a racial point of view, from a class point of view, it's such a profound achievement. You know, this guy is the one genius that every other genius says is a genius." - Van Jones

[​IMG]

ceddy10165, Buda, Maurice and 10 others like this.
  5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Since when is Minneapolis a nowhere town?

6. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

Being from Minnesota, I agree, but not really taking offense taking the quote as a whole.

7. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Personally I feel that HITnRUN Phase One is a much better album. It's modern, hip and sounds fresh, outside of the trashy track 1.

He was still on top of his game musically even at the end.

RIP America's best singer songwriter, ever.

8. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Nah. He hadn't been for a good 20 years by that point.

But, in the end, so what? Prince composed more material at his peak than most artists do in a lifetime.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  9. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

With respect, you have zero idea what you are talking about.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  10. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

no you.

We disagree. It's okay. :)

11. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Prince & Van Jones were actually fairly good friends (one of only 20 invited to his private memorial service). I imagine he has more insight into the man than any of us.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2019
  12. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

My girlfriend came home with a purple silk pillowcase the other day, and slept on it for the first time last night. I can’t help but think this is what it must have been like being in bed with Prince.

[​IMG]

andycherry and Osato like this.
  13. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Throw a few bristly chest hairs in there and you're probably right.:laugh:

14. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

You’ve met the girlfriend then?

15. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Just an educated guess! :righton:

stepeanut likes this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It's true that from 1999 onwards, his albums went a bit all over the place but there was some fabulous music peppered across them - and live, he was better than ever as a musician.

theholygoof, Jmac1979 and jhm like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

IMO, Prince started to become less interesting as a recording artist after 1988 - and especially after 1995. I love the whole 1980-88 run, and I like the 1989-1995 period - well, "Come" leaves me a bit cold, but it's okay.

After that... spotty city! More mediocre/bad than good.

As for the concerts, I saw Prince about 20 times between 1984 and 2015. 1988 was the clear peak, though 1984 and 1993 were good.

After that... spotty city again. A few of the shows were pretty good, but a lot were pretty mediocre - at least by Prince's standards.

I remember at one show during the long 2007 O2 run, he kept bragging about how great he was. I thought "stop telling us you're great and prove it!" :help:

25 years ago, Prince was in my top 10 artists - maybe top 5 - but the combo of mediocre post-1995 albums and shows really knocked him out of that ranking... :(

Osato likes this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It's true that his earlier performances were more efferverscent, more physical but as the various Montreux shows showed, either as a guitarist, chef d'orchestre, singer, whatever, he was still untouchable (and this is nothing to do with personnal taste/preference).

whisperinwind21, Jayseph and Jmac1979 like this.
  19. Oatsdad

Dunno about the Montreux shows - all I can go by is the 13 Prince shows I saw from 1997 to 2015! :shrug:

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Maybe you saw too many and it made you blasé. :D
    Whatever, I'm jealous as hell because the purple yoda never came near my neck of the woods. :shake:

21. Oatsdad

Well, that 1988 tour set a high bar! It's still my go-to pick for "best concert I ever saw" period.

I agree that some of my attitude is due to "over-exposure" - someone who'd never seen Price was way more likely to be impressed by his post-1996 shows - but if "blase-itude" explained it, then I'd be as down on the dozen or so other artists I've seen 20+ times, too.

I think Prince eventually just coasted on his reputation - both in the studio and on stage. Like I mentioned, he liked to boast about his greatness but he rarely seemed that interested in proving his status.

And don't get me started on those shows with Larry Graham! :mad:

22. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

From what I've seen (and saw myself, though only twice) his instrumental virtuosity never went down hill. He always had a very jam oriented live show and that continued throughout his career.

He just wasn't breaking any new ground in the studio after 1995 or so (some would say before that). He also kept recording at the same pace in his creative slumps as he did at his peak, which made it a bit more noticeable.

Still, there are some really good Prince songs from 2000 on. :agree:

Jayseph and Ghost of Ziggy like this.
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I have always loved the Lovesexy (Dortmund) concert video. Was the show you saw akin to that?

lordfalconer likes this.
  24. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I think '3121' was by far his Best Album Post 2000, although found Plectrum Electrum pretty good, so one Good FUNK Album and one Good Rock Album. I still need to buy 'Art Official Age' though, as skipped buying that Album at the time.

Also, never saw Prince in Concert, but based on his Studio Albums, I preferred the NPG Band to the Revolution, but YMMV.

25. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

You're probably right about 3121 - it has a good feel to it overall, and is probably the best of his "comeback" albums in the 2000s (Musicology, on the other hand, I found to be a total bore).

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.