Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Birthday contemplation from André Cymone ("Dear Prince, you’ve been on my mind quite a bit lately and I was thinking about how to remember you on your day of birth…"): ANDRE CYMONE

•••

Also Kirk Johnson have brought together some folks for a Birthday recording:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    AshS, Hep Alien, Freek999 and 5 others like this.
  2. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

That was much better than I thought it could be.

Also, did Prince get heavier than the back half of 'The Cross'. Such a great song.

bataclan2002 and Dflow like this.
  3. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

:o:o:D:D
    That was was really well done and such a great song to cover and pay tribute - Happy Birthday Prince - whether you like it or not:D

bataclan2002 likes this.
  4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Oh, and there's been a video for "Baltimore" uploaded:

Painful how things just go around in circles instead of forward...

5. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Imagine Prince would've been 62. He definitely wouldn't have liked what's going on, which is why that song up top is poignant.

Still, he would've been proud of the legacy he left...

Sean, Hep Alien and footlooseman like this.
  6. This sounds older. When was this recorded roughly?

7. I was about to say the same. Rioting is not the answer and divides communities more.

8. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Baltimore - Prince Vault

This song was recorded on April 30th, 2015 in response to the death of Freddie Gray in Baltimore.
    (additional vocals, horns and orchestra in May 2015).

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

I'm no expert on Prince, but from this article I've come to understand his songs could originate from any era, because he pulled things from the vault when working on an album. Baltimore was the last track recorded for the album because Prince wanted to make a statement and he performed it there later on. This article about this album is an excellent read from the perspective of the musicians he asked for it, including singer on Baltimore Eryn Alan Kane who tells how it came about.
    There's plenty of info on what it was like working with Prince and mention of how he knew exactly what kind of horn arrangement he wanted. And it's those horn arrangements that makes this album extra special to me, they're intelligent, well placed, funky and yet different and surprising within the tracks.
    Prince recorded all of his lead vocals between six in the evening and the next morning (when they were finished).

‘HitnRUN Phase Two': An Oral History Of Prince’s Last Studio Album

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    bataclan2002, Hep Alien and Freek999 like this.
  10. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

This ain't it, chief.

possumdude and KirkK like this.
  11. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

That’s a fascinating piece. Thank you for sharing it. I am a long time fan and I was one who thought at HnR Phase 2 was a collection of stray tracks cobbled together. And I was really surprised that Baltimore was on it, let alone the opening track! I presumed that would have been a one off and stay connected to the charity (like S.S.T.)
    Glad to know Prince was still forging ahead creatively even at the end and not coasting.

HotelYorba101 and Hep Alien like this.
  12. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

5 years ago Prince passed. still does not seem real. RIP musical legend.

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, Runicen, Jayseph and 9 others like this.
  13. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

14. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

Thank you Prince for all the wonderful gems you left behind for us to enjoy so you are still part of our lives.
    The day you went away, the world changed from Purple to Grey, but we know that Paisley Park is in our heart. :love:

15. Station2Station

Station2Station Forum Resident

Heard someone singing Purple Rain on the tv today.
    Though they tried...
    I don't think anyone else but Prince can do it right.

Sean and April Snow like this.
  16. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

2017 reissue based on the 2015 remaster supervised by Prince in 2015. the cd has a bad rap, however the vinyl mastering has been done with skill, love and precision by Kevin Gray. Its sounds really great and provides better separation and space with the keyboards/synths in the mix - most noticeable on Take me With You and The Beautiful Ones. Everything about this vinyl release is class. the poster is very cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nathan Aaron, Jayseph, Yost and 5 others like this.
  17. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I looked at the window, first snow we've had in New York this entire month.

Because of course :(

18. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

It's rainy here, after the last few days had been beautiful. I think it rained where I live on the day that he died, too

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Hep Alien, Runicen and JasonA like this.
  20. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I remember the day he died people spontaneously gathered at city hall. Lots of purple and boom boxes. City hall turned purple. My dog (just deceased RiP) and I hung out in disbelief with tons of music fans and just walked around. Weird feeling. Also the cool weirdness of my city was there too, short supply for years now. But a mix of lovers of Princes great music. Stunned ness was how I felt and the vibe. A oneness.

Really a casualty of the much documented marketing of opioids. Sinfull. Funny how because of COVID drug companies had to do the work and quickly. Rather than just being marketing companies and pushing pills on people. There is a resurgence of the Polio quest. Dialogue now about cancer, AIDS and many long term illnesses. Prince was a victim of the marketing period of American drug companies. Real bummer.

Yesterday listened on my walk too my boiled down Rave and 3rd eye tour boots. I’ve said before I’d love a released show from the 3rd eye tour, Cool arrangements. No bs. Boiled down rockin. How about a 3rd eye band box. Only I would buy it, but, so good. Just his version of Jack White too me. Simple and real. What I dig.

21. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

Still unreal present day. He had so much to give for a long time coming. But also left us so many.....

Greenalishi likes this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Gone too soon :cry:

Greenalishi and Lance LaSalle like this.
  23. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

24. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Thanks for the reminder. This morning I wanted to hear some Prince, and I played The Rainbow Children. Pure coincidence probably, but now it doesn’t feel that way.

Now playing 1999, the album. When the title track was a hit in my country, I couldn’t imagine 1999 at all. It felt so far away. Nowadays it’s 20.5 years ago. Unbelievable. But I’m still dancing like it’s 1999! Sadly without him being around.

Prince released more great music in his lifetime than others would need 5 lifetimes for. But I wouldn’t mind having even more. R.I.P. :cry:

25. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

It absolutely did in Minneapolis.

possumdude likes this.