Prince - Welcome 2 America - July 30th (new album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EndorphinMachine, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

But this time he's right! :D

Joker to the thief likes this.
  2. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Again and again I'll say this - put me on your ignore list - rather than you griping daily (if not hourly) about it,

Going for the CD for this anyway, I'll put the "deluxe" on my watch list on Amazon and wait for the price to get to about £35 before getting it, if it turns out to be any good.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  3. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

This has been one of my vault holy grails for a while now, I'm over the moon it got released so quickly (relatively, at least, when you consider all they had to choose from!)

Can't wait.

4. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

It's 54 minutes of music, not 60+.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    mark winstanley likes this.
  5. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

How much of this is unheard? (ie not bootlegged)
    also nice to see Tal Wilkenfeld get a credit!

6. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

"Hot Summer" was one of my least-favourite Prince songs when it first came out (tied maybe with that fight song he did for some Minneapolis sports team), but the rest of this looks promising. I'm happy the final leg of his career is getting some attention. This is one of those "holy grail" albums on the long, long list of abandoned Prince projects, and I hope the final release is as close to Prince's original intentions as possible.

Also - Soul Asylum cover? Oh-kay.

7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Apple Music pre-order listing with track durations: Welcome 2 America by Prince

You have to look at it in the iTunes Store to see the whole track list with timings.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Soul Asylum is a fellow Minneapolis artist, and there was even some overlap in musicians (specifically Michael Bland).

nosticker, intv7, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  9. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

They got many fooled, as they thought D&P would be the next project. Studio Prince after 1988 (withe the exception of Gold 1995) doesn't interest me. The concert from April 28 (audio only), is already available on the boot from Eye Records.

10. Richard Starkly

Richard Starkly Can't tune a piano, but I can tuna fish

Does anyone know where this stands in relation to 20Ten? Because if it was recorded in spring 2010 that would be before the 20Ten album was released, but I would assume after the 20Ten album was recorded. Or maybe both albums are drawn from the same sessions? If they are from the same sessions I'm hoping this is one of those cases where he kept the best stuff in the vault because aside from 'Laydown' 20Ten didn't appeal to me at all.

The title track is a strong start so I'm hopeful.

bataclan2002, Hep Alien and Wordnat2 like this.
  11. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Cool song. Seems like a cool release. Glad it’s something unknown.

12. Vic333

Vic333 Forum Resident

Well, this is a welcome surprise. Hope the CD/Blueray option is available. I'm not an LP guy.

JDeanB, Davidmk5 and ceddy10165 like this.
  13. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident

I thought Hot Summer was ok. I've not listened to it that much as I only have a mp3 of the song.

When She Comes is one of my least favourite Prince songs ever. However this is a different version

Same page,Different book is a good solid tune. I always enjoy hearing it, again only have an.mp3 so it will be good for it to get a proper home.

I don't expect to be blown away by this album. I do expect I will find it enjoyable.

I like 20ten and HitnRun 2 which are the 2 most closely linked albums.

CBackley and tcbtcb like this.
  14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Wow-For the BluRay Concert(with 5.1 and Dolby Atmos!), some Awesome Cover Songs from Kool & the Gang and Lakeside. Although, for Roxy Music, wish he would have covered a Song from their first few Albums like ‘The Bogus Man’:agree:. Can’t wait to watch and hear the Entire April 28, 2011 Concert, and hear the ‘Welcome 2 America’ Album, although hoping for an eventual separate BluRay Release, but I already overpaid for 3 of the 1999 Hoodies(Very High Quality Logo) from the Prince Webstore, so might not wait, as a separate BluRay release might not happen. Prince, David Bowie and Miles Davis have gotten most of my money during the Covid Pandemic.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  15. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Looks interesting. I like the deluxe set eventhough I’m not interested in the vinyl. The limited 7” has an exclusive b-side, so I might buy that one and try to locate my old record player... and look for a vinyl rip.

I do like the p-funk style from the title song!

16. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Lifelong Prince fan and happy to see this coming out. Would buy a reasonably priced cd/Blu ray version, but will pass on the deluxe as offered.

17. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The last sessions for 20Ten were in February 2010. The Welcome 2 America sessions started in March 2010 (except for "Yes" which is apparently from 1984).

18. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

''Yes'' (originally titled ''Lisa'') was written by Prince & Eric Leeds. It's from the 1984/1985 sessions and released on the album ''The Family'' by The Family.

19. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Locking the concert into a $100 2 x LP + Book + CD + Blu Ray box set is a really, really greedy move. I'd buy the concert BR as a standalone release in a shot, but I'm not spending an extra $70 for it.

20. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I agree. I am hoping that it turns out that there will be a standalone release or with the cd, even if it's just a dvd. Maybe they will broadcast it on TV - often happens with these boxset exclusives.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  21. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

One would assume this is a completely different track that just happens to share a name.

22. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Hep Alien, D-rock and bobgeorge like this.
  23. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

So has anyone here heard all of the Songs from the Bootleg Release for the ‘Welcome 2 America’ Album? Are most of the Songs as good as the Song linked in this Thread that is on YouTube? If anyone has heard it, how would ‘W2A’ compare to ‘20Ten’, or any of his Albums from ‘3121’ until his Final Albums? Is it an entire FUNK Album(like The Black Album), or does he mix in any Songs from other Genres like he had done in the past, and if so, how would you describe them?

the real pope ondine likes this.
  24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Bernie Grundman is credited with mastering the new track on streaming sites, so I guess it's his work for the studio album

Davidmk5, D-rock, Turntable and 4 others like this.
  25. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Good to hear - I was hoping it would still be Bernie after the switch to Sony

D-rock and Turntable like this.