Prince - Welcome 2 America - July 30th (new album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EndorphinMachine, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Can't wait!! and Black vinyl. :edthumbs: thank christ they are dumping that crap coloured vinyl.

Can only hope its mastered by BG and pressed @ Optimal.

just waiting for the vinyl only pre-order.

2. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Well, they didn't actually dump colored vinyl, they are just giving us the option. Just like WB did with Originals.

I suspect all the additional re-issues from the post-95 catalog will be on purple vinyl... but time will tell.

CBackley likes this.
  3. I think the 8,000 song thing is BS.

I love the fact that Prince was so prolific. He created a lot of music, and I also think that there are way more undocumented songs than what's listed on some websites and books. Still, 8,000 is a little strong.

If we half that number I think we're more in the ballpark. And that can be everything from demos to full blown productions, plus alternates and such. But, as I've often said, and as we know, even Prince's demos often sound better than most artist's finished masters.

Having said that, I'm 47 now, so the chances are great that I won't get to hear all of his music in my lifetime. I think it's that much.

4. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

Unfortunately that's the way it is.

That's the way it goes.

That'd be nicer than the expensiveness.

You never know. Could be an eventual BluRay release.

That'd be much better than Vinyl/CD/Blu-ray (like Neil Young has been doing)

Yes. We'd be better off getting a 2 CD/Blu-ray combo of that show than having it in the expensive set. There IS however a Musicology tour show in the can that's for sure said to be audio/video.

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

6. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Compared to what Sony were doing before, I will take this as a win, on this release at least.

Matthew Tate and ad180 like this.
  7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I see what you did there.

8. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

These deluxe things bug me too. But it’s everywhere right now. It’s the thing. Not just with the estate. Holds me back from lots of stuff that would have been just a 2 cd thing before

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I'm a huge fan of Chris Coleman's drumming and I'm psyched to hear all of this.

Dan

10. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

11. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

In retrospect crazy I only went to 2 of the Forum runs. OK, it was like a 40 min drive, and even the 25 (right?) tix might start to add up if I did like, 10---but what the heck else did I think was so important those nights that I didn't do at least, like, five???

And don't get me started on his last Palladium show and my failure to go to that. Oh boy.

12. Omarstringer

Omarstringer No One You’d Know

My wife is the Prince fanatic and this will be a perfect birthday present.

Yannick, D-rock, Izozeles and 5 others like this.
  13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Preordered as the Amazon Price(close to $90) is $10 less than the Prince Website Store, and Amazon does not take your money right away on Preorder Products(like the Prince Website Store does). Also, they will price match any future potential price drop on this Deluxe Box Set. I think adding up the BluRay, CD, Vinyl, 32 Page Book and other Trinkets, the value is worth $75-$80, so I am ok paying $90 for this Deluxe Box Set, plus the Gold Embossed Package sounds like it might be a nice touch. Hope to find most of the Songs from this Album online in the next few months, to check out, to make sure I like the Album, but like the one Song already linked in this Thread.

Now, should I buy the Gold Vinyl and Single with a live version of ‘Dreamer’ that he played with ‘W2A’?:whistle:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  14. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

15. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

It's the way how you approach it. Prince did have the habit to work on a track multiple times.

For instance: ''Strange Relationship''. Recorded in the summer of 1982, but revamped by Wendy&Lisa in 1985. Again in 1986 for the ''Camille'' album. And finally released on ''SOTT''.

If we take ''We Can Funk'', there are two different recordings. One from December 1983 and June 1986.

16. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I am definitely excited for this.

Vault recordings from his (ahem) purple patch are exciting but I am eager to hear unreleased music from all points of his career. I quite enjoyed 20Ten and, especially, Hitnrun Phase Two so I expect to enjoy this as well.

It's hard not to be greedy and wish for more. I do hope that things speed up at least a little bit. I think we can easily handle at least three or four vault releases a year. Ideally, I would like to see four releases a year: super deluxe reissues of albums, "new" vault releases (this may be an especially useful way to release music associated with albums/eras not "worthy" of a super deluxe reissue), standalone live shows (including aftershows), and standalone video releases.

I hope the estate releases some affordable live releases (both audio and visual) for casual fans. Prince was obviously a phenomenal performer, make it easy for people to see and hear that! Not everyone is going to buy box sets to get a live video.

Hep Alien, hiterss, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  17. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

It would be nice. But then again, it's amazing how much archival Prince material has already been released since he died! Compare what's come out to say, the Rolling Stones, and Prince fans are incredibly lucky.

18. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Unfortunately, that's a side effect of the declining market for physical product. The entire business model has changed. The cost of doing an archival project like this hasn't gone down in 30 years, but the sales numbers have. The days of a 4-CD box set from a major artist selling half a million are long gone. So, to recoup costs, the label releases lavish, expensive, one-pressing-only "deluxe editions".... invariably containing material available nowhere else. It's basically a shift from 300K people buying a $50 set to 5K people buying a $300 set, roughly.

The upshot is that 95% of the audience will just listen to these tracks on streaming services. (Which makes a little bit of money, although nothing close to physical sales.) So the deluxe editions are actually enabling the rest of us to listen to this music for (basically) free. Someone in another post wondered when the Estate would release affordable stand-alone live sets..... Well, the simple truth is that the live shows from Prince's past deluxe sets are already streaming on the major services, and for anyone but die-hards that's good enough.

TonyCzar, Turntable, Mazzy and 11 others like this.
  19. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Possibly the best option for those in Europe. I can see Europe and UK prices being over 100+ Euros / Pounds etc. for the Deluxe

With such a massive outlay for fans for the concert, would it kill them to show at least a 30 second excerpt of the footage?

I'm expecting the audio to be superb for the concert, seeing as they have bothered to do it in Dolby Atmos

D-rock and Piiijiii like this.
  20. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I pre-ordered the deluxe set from the Prince Store along with the 7” single. Before I noticed the Amazon pre-order link. Ugh!

Then I caved to my collector tendencies and ordered the gold vinyl edition later.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That was a caveat I threw out there when I referred to Prince as "self-sufficient". Because he was a one-man band, his demos could be "full-band versions" much more often than most other artists...

Even if we knock the vault all the way down to a "mere" 400 releasable songs, I doubt it all gets released - ever.

That's 40 10-song albums. As popular as Prince was/is, I find it tough to believe the estate will produce 40 actual albums!

D-rock likes this.
  22. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

We have three months until the release, so you know they will tease the video content eventually, just like they did for 1999 Deluxe and SOTT Deluxe.

croquetlawns and noname74 like this.
  23. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

If we are only counting songs that were never released in his life (as opposed to early versions or alternates or different mixes) they've already released about six or seven ten-song albums since Prince died, not counting this one, and that was only covering the years 1981-82, 83-84, 85-87. And there are more bootlegged that have not have been released from those years.

I believe he has 34 more "ten song albums" in the Vault, definitely.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So we think they'll release 2 albums a year for 17 years?

Sounds like a stretch, if so! :shrug:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I don’t think anyone is saying they will release 34 albums....it’s more that he has enough material to fill 34 albums in The Vault based on what we know of his productivity.

D-rock and Matthew Tate like this.