Prince's Music Vault

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zphage, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

If a commercial entity owns 50% of this catalog they will send an army of their lawyers after whomever owns the remaining 50%. Their opening gambit may be playing 'nice', that will swiftly change if 'nice' goes nowhere. No way this material won't eventually come out - in full.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  2. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Yeah, it sounded fine and I was cranking it pretty loud in the car. The version I have sounds fine to me too for a boot. I wouldn't call it 'tinny and distorted' but we may have different definitions for such.

Can't remember where I got it from exactly, but it's called "Wonderful Ass #1" and runs 6:18.

But they are playing boots? Interesting... I might need to listen more lol.

Unfortunately, everytime I turned it onto the channel for more than a few minutes I've heard "Purple Rain" and "Kiss".

3. I have come to believe that SOTT for the CD releases is a flat transfer. There is way to much variance in the SQ from song to song that any professional mastering engineer would have tried to correct that (and thankfully didn't). That lovely tape hiss has it's own charm, because the era produced a lot of highly digital sounding albums.

On topic, though, to be able to hear the entire Crystal Ball and Dream Factory albums in perfect quality would be a dream come true, even if there's overlaps in some songs. "The Ball" and "Rebirth of the Flesh"...well, I'd give somebody else's left nut to have those in perfect condition.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Jayseph, warewolf95 and videoman like this.
  4. I'll very enthusiastically second that!! It has a cover of "Just My Imagination" that has one of the best guitar solos I've ever heard by anyone. Period. And then two songs later a blues jam where Prince shows everybody that he can play a blues solo as well as anyone that calls themselves a blues guitarist. Small Club is also on CD and every Prince fan should seek it out. At least parts of it are on Youtube. Just listened to it Friday night. I'm also working my way through 4 CD's of Sign O' The Times rehearsals that sounds terrific.

ribonucleic and EVOLVIST like this.
  5. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I knew some of the same sort of people. They mark tapes with fades ups or downs. One guy always blew a whistle. Back in the tape days they would take it down a couple of generations so they could have better trading prospect than you if you were to (against his rules) trade it. I knew on guy who had soundboard tapes. To keep his exclusive, he would play the tape through his stereo and record it on a portable tape deck with low grade cassette tape and let you have it to play, Back in the day some wild and complicated trade would happen to get a hold of this stuff. The rarer and more desirable stuff was kept under tight wraps.

Grant, kevywevy and warewolf95 like this.
  6. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

warewolf95, dee and videoman like this.
  7. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

The SiriusXM channel is at least mixing it up in between the heavy "hits" rotation. Have you tried listening to the iHeartRadio tribute channel? It's as if the only thing Prince ever released was Side 2 of Purple Rain and "Raspberry Beret"

Lost In The Flood and videoman like this.
  8. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Well, while you're giving away other people's nuts, can you also trade someone's lefty for the 11 min Computer Blue? I'd really appreciate that. Thanks!

warewolf95 and EVOLVIST like this.
  9. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I've got a 14 min one.

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Of the unreleased songs I've listened to tonight these are my favorites:

Wonderful Ass
    Data Bank
    Rebirth Of The Flesh
    All Day All Night
    Baby Go-Go
    Mutiny

and

11. RoyalScam

Oh my goodness...someone on the YouTube page for "Wonderful Ass" commented that INXS must have nicked the bridge (around 1:54 into the track) for their "Mediate". It is unquestionable, IMO. Supposedly this was recorded circa 1983, a full 2-3 years before INXS.

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

First time I heard "Wonderful Ass" back in 1989 I wondered why Prince would copy INXS so blatantly to only learn later that the Prince song came first in '83 and is about Vanity. I do doubt that INXS would have heard the outtake only a year or so after it was recorded (hadn't leaked by then my guess) and I think the connections are just coincidence.

13. RoyalScam

Could be. Though, INXS were signed to Atlantic/Atco (in the US, at least), so there was a chance they might hear something "in-the-works" by a then-Warner artist. It could be argued that Prince himself kinda stole that from Dylan, as well.

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

15. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I mean, it needn't be; they just need to establish a corporation with six owners and appoint a 'CEO' to that corporation that could make decisions. The family get the profits but don't interfere...

Will it happen that way? I have no idea.

16. dee

dee Senior Member

17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Really they should just appoint me to spearhead the release of these sets. Hey, I'm local. (Not that I have any real credentials or anything. But it'd still result in some pretty cool sets.) Kidding. Mostly.

Dflow, Matthew Tate and bunglejerry like this.
  18. dee

dee Senior Member

That Moonbeam Levels is main album worthy. Is that Parade era? Splash is also album worthy.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  19. dee

dee Senior Member

You have been appointed. Please get to work :). If it's anything like your Dylan, Costello, and VU trips etc. :) we should be in good ears.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Sadly, I just spent the previous month worrying about FRANK ZAPPA'S VAULT!
    Prince's just gonna have to wait!

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

No. Even in death, Prince doesn't WAIT.

I say that as a Minnesotan who literally had him in line at a record store behind him. So, er, yeah, I guess he does wait. Rather politely, as it turns out.

23. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

Elvis covering Prince? Wow. Elvis Costello had problems with Prince. He wanted to cover "Pop Life" but Prince wouldn't let him (weird in that you don't need permission to cover a song). I know he spike about it in the liner notes to his WB era anthology.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

He actually covered "Pop Life" too:

bunglejerry likes this.
  25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The (rather credible) rumor was that he intended to include a portion of "Pop Life" in his recording of his original "The Bridge I Burned." When Prince refused permission, he substituted poetry in the bridge where he'd previously quoted the Prince song.

I'd love to hear the original version. I've heard it circulates, but haven't yet been gifted with a copy.

beatsurrender likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.