Princeton area: significant Beatles collection hits PREX

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by BlueTrane, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The little colored stickers shown come off very easily. MOst vinyl once it gets $29.99 and above is kept behind the counter, that is written on the tiny sticker usually. The old style white stickers were sometimes tough to get off, but even then they were rarely on anything valuable.

2. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

I too shop there a lot, the staff is very nice and helpful, not the stereotypical "High Fidelity" type. In regards to their stickers, looks like all the $5.99 and UP CD's are bar coded and labeled with the artist, title and original list price. All CD's under $5.99 are just marked $4.99 and under.

3. Agree, this is the nicest mix, quite a few 15-20 year veterans and a polite diverse mix of 20 somethings. Some of the 80s- 90s crews could be rough, very very snide and snarky, and would have sent the even 'High Fidelity' types home crying.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    BlueTrane likes this.
  4. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears Forum Resident

There is not just one "he" running this shop, it is huge, huge inventory, there are a ton of employees, how can they memorize prices for their entire stock???

ARK and Comet01 like this.
  5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Buy "He", I guess I mean the owner.
    As I mentioned, he could keep an inventory of what's what behind the counter for employees to refer to.
    This wasn't supposed to be some giant debate. I just thought it was strange that whomever it was that did it, put the price tags directly onto those rare Beatles albums. That's all. :shrug:

RelayerNJ likes this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

When they peel off, they basically fall apart.

I have managed to get these stickers off with little / no damage to the jacket (most times) but it has slits in them which makes taking them off actually intact near impossible.

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I have to wonder the source. Hopefully it was a collector just retiring from collecting / trying to make a little money and not someone who passed away / wife just wanted to be rid of the albums.

Against my better judgment I might have to pop over there after work. Damn this forum.

8. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Whether it's good or bad, when you've done it as long as they have at Princeton Record Exchange, I'm sure there are reasons for doing what they do.

tmoore and Vinyl Addict like this.
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I can get in the car and be there in 5 hours.:cool:

Tommyboy, Gaslight and Vinyl Addict like this.
  10. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Their inventory is in the thousands; CDs, vinyl and DVD/Blu-Ray and their stock, like any used place, is constantly revolving. I'm sure they have neither the time nor energy to put in to a system like you're asking, let alone for the employees to constantly look up some ever expanding list that's pages and pages long. They changed the stickers that they use to be more collector friendly. Unless they actually seal the record up with the price tag on a piece of paper underneath the shrink wrap, this is what it's going to be (and then you would have people complaining they can't look at the vinyl).

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  11. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Completely agree. I've been saying a variation of this all day long.

12. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

Any out-of-towners heading there... I highly recommend walking the small distance over to the university art gallery while in town. It's free entrance and the collection is incredible... even a couple Monets

panasoffkee and Vinyl Addict like this.
  13. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Those paste over butchers and rare VJ LP's probably never had stickers attached to their front covers since the original shrink was removed........until now! I know I couldn't do it. But I'm not the store owner and I'm sure he knows his business.

14. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Any residue from recently applied price stickers can often be easily removed with scotch tape. The trick is to not dent the cover when getting under the edges of the sticker--go slow and steady and then clean up with tape.

15. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Again, this sticker business is so stupid. I've bought dozens of records with those Stickers and did nothing to the covers. There is no record shop like this place. Focus on what they acquired, and selling at great prices. The thread was for those in the area to go down and get some amazing Beatles pressings!

16. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

To ease your minds, if you watch the video, the mint one has no price sticker.

Tommyboy likes this.
  17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Only had about 15 minutes there. Flipped through 40% of the Beatles stuff. The rare stuff they kept the vinyl behind the counter and only had the cover out.

Picked up Die Beatles Stereo Horzu for $25 - which I knew about only due to SHTV and SH.

Haven't played it yet. Will tonight :)

If I want a duophonic Y&T. What is the indication of that?

snorker and RelayerNJ like this.
  18. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm gonna guess the butcher covers were fully behind glass.

19. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I'm sure they're gone by now. They had a pic of someone buying the top two hours after the video post. The mint one went for a grand.

20. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Prex uses 2 types of stickers. The white ones that can be hard to take off are used on items under $25 or so (and are easier to remove the less time they've been on). The green, smaller stickers are used on the more expensive records and are trivial to take off without damage.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  21. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

The "problem" with living 10 minutes from PREX is that I can never spend less than an hour and a half in there and walk out with any money remaining in my wallet...or bank account! Other than that, it's a fabulous place!

22. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have a local shop within walking distance, and it's the same way. They always get the rare stuff I'm looking for. I've never left without dropping at least $100.

23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Ha...that was one of the few albums I was considering, if I had seen it (I didn't - you must have beaten me to it). Let it Be Naked was the other, but nowhere to be found except the OBI one, which was over my price range. Ended up buying Wye Oak + a few other things instead.

Tons of Revolver / Y&T variations. Generally if the album is an older Rainbow or early 70's Capitol label, there's a good chance the Y&T in question is duophonic. Once you get to the the purple label the chances of getting a true stereo / partially true stereo version go up (I own a true stereo copy). No idea about those Japan / Canada variants I saw.

RelayerNJ and Rfreeman like this.
  24. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Damn! I was in the Princeton area all week for a conference. I live in Middletown and was just at Prex on Wednesday before they made this announcement. As usual I didn't leave empty handed. Finally found a copy of the 12" UK 'Temporary Secretary' b/w 'Secret Friend' that had been on my list forever.

I'd go tomorrow but Saturday's are a zoo at that place. (Pet Peeve: when people (hipsters
    mostly) sit with their Starbucks coffee on the floor in the middle of the aisle combing through albums and you're just trying to get through to look at more records and they act like no one is there. Drives me nuts!)

I go 5-6 times a year. About an hour ride for me. I go to Jacks in Red Bank once every 2 weeks or so. They know me there. Good spot; although not nearly as good a selection as PREX.

Tommyboy likes this.
  25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That's not drool.

Lost In The Flood, JoeF., ARK and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.