Princeton area: significant Beatles collection hits PREX

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by BlueTrane, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

You are spot on with Scottis and the annoying owner. That guy is a dusche

2. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

You are so right. There's no place like this in terms of turnover, pricing, and grading. Amoeba, at least in the Bay Area is a joke.

Comet01 and GetHappy!! like this.
  3. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I'm a pretty chill guy, but the last time I was there I almost punched the guy. He tried to sell me a pretty beat up late 70's Tales From Topographic Oceans for 30 bucks! I was like are you kidding me man? And he got really snotty with me. I was very close to asking him to step outside. I ended up telling him to F off and he lost a customer...

bluemooze, Comet01 and RelayerNJ like this.
  4. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agreed. Let's hope the head appraiser took a few employees under his wing for mentorship over the years.

Comet01 and RelayerNJ like this.
  5. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

The guy basically ran his fathers business into the ground. This is the last Scottis left, and now he's douchey about his come up ins. Years ago he had no idea what he was doing and got some great deals. Now, dollar records are $20.

Comet01, bluemooze and SirMarc like this.
  6. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Ben is still there and totally gets it. Prices have gone up over the years

But it's still remarkably reasonable

7. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

No doubt, unfortunately this happens a lot. A kid of privilege without the work ethic of the parent takes over and tries to make up for it with bravado. Never works. I will miss being able to clean a dirty or moldy record on the vpi rcm before I choose to buy it though. Oh well...

RelayerNJ likes this.
  8. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

They do it because the shifty customers switch the bags so they can get a high ticket album cheap.

I have one in my store, every record store should have one.

ARK likes this.
  9. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Hello Sir Marc! It was nice to meet a fellow forum member at PREX this afternoon! Sounds like you had a good day! Enjoy your haul!

AndyNicks, SirMarc and RelayerNJ like this.
  10. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

that's what this forum is all about for me. awesome!

ARK, bluejeanbaby, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
  11. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Definitely man! Yeah, did pretty well. How'd you make out? Listening to the worst looking one now, Songs From the Wood, and it plays clean. Nice! Those Traffic albums I got look brand new after cleaning. Gonna be a Traffic day tomorrow for sure.

RelayerNJ, bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  12. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I didn't find much myself. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked. I got a couple of of NM classical records and I grabbed two of the colored Sabbath reissues. The wife is in bed so I won't be checking them out until tomorrow. Need to run them through the 16.5 first too.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  13. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

That, my man is why I have a nice pair of headphones lol

14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

:confused:

Do you mean "comeuppance"...?

ARK likes this.
  15. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

The UK Let It Be box set with book and Mono UK White Album with low number looked nice. Wonder how interested they'd be in buying another sizeable Beatles record collection in the near future if the opportunity presented itself? All those Beatles records take up quite a bit of store space. I guess it depends on how quickly they sell. I'm sure if some choice Beatles vinyl was offered at the right price they wouldn't hesitate in buying.

A local store in my area, Vinyl Frontier in McHenry, Ill. Has probably 150 Beatles and related LP's packed in their bins. Mostly US, re-issued Imports, Boots, some new vinyl etc., Nothing I'm personally interested in, but quite a bit to browse through for the avid Beatles collector. It seems that there's an ample supply of more common Beatles vinyl hitting the market these days.

16. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Yes, as in the recent vinyl craze

17. Dr. Night

Dr. Night New Member

Let's not. We don't want future record appraisers of this sort. Listings like these is exactly what we don't want in the future.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  18. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Glad to read of everyone's experiences yesterday at PREX. And thanks for correcting me on the angle of the picture. They must have changed some things. It used to be that the Beatles section was to the left as you entered the vinyl section from the front of the store. Now it appears to be to the right, judging by what was mentioned in the earlier post.

WRT why PREX is a big deal: I know I'm repeating myself, but my best vinyls have all come from there. I moved about 200 miles south of Princeton in the year 2000. Trust me when I say that places near me now have less rare stuff, with the conditions of the vinyls and covers being worse, and the asking prices are higher. For a few years after I moved away, I would make the 400 mile round trip to Princeton every Super Bowl Sunday (i.e., when everyone else was watching TV and the interstate was relatively empty). I'd always come back with unexpected items.

JohnO, GetHappy!!, RelayerNJ and 2 others like this.
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yep. Combination of a big store / high traffic / high turnover for new arrivals, and decent prices. The last being extremely important...they aren't "super bargains" but generally their prices are competitive, including new LP's.

As for the stickers, I've been able to get most of them off with little to no damage to the jacket. But it really depends on the jacket.

ARK and Comet01 like this.
  20. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I also remember that there also seemed to be a relationship to how long the sticker had been on the cover to its difficulty of removal, as well as the cover type (as you mention). Stickers that were on things in the "just arrived" bins came off easier. Where I had problems was getting stickers off of the LPs that had been sitting in the floor bins. But it wasn't that important to me because usually I was just buying the very cheap vinyls to get a opportunity to listen to many artist's catalogs without dumping a lot of money into the overpriced CDs. If I liked the music on the cheap LP, then I'd invest in the corresponding CD.

Gaslight likes this.
  21. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

No; it's still that way. I took the picture from the rear of the store. The vinyl that was displayed in the photo I posted was the collection from the appraiser.

The regular Beatles section of vinyl is still to the left as you make a slight right past the registers.

22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I usually take the sticker off, regardless. If it's a dollar bin special and I damage it a little it doesn't bother me. I take my time on a $20 LP however. :)

Yep. Since the collection was so large, they put them in the "New Arrivals" section. A lot of the New Arrival stock then had to be pushed to the bottom bins.

23. Dr. Night

Dr. Night New Member

I have to say, it's things like this that turn me off of the Beatles and collecting Beatles records.

24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Why is that?

ARK likes this.
  25. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know, the guy had more Beatles records than you. Can't have that. :shh: :winkgrin:

GetHappy!! and bluemooze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.