Princeton area: significant Beatles collection hits PREX

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by BlueTrane, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Night

Dr. Night New Member

I didn't mean your post before mine but I'll explain:

This creating a frenzy over Beatles vinyl, encouraging the association/inflation of Beatles vinyl with high price tags (though I understand these are outlier pressings like the Butcher Album but the others are laughably high) and making certain Beatles pressings seem more valuable and have a higher appeal than they do. Basically, them getting this collection should have been treated as nothing special, as it really is. This mouth drooling over these pressings is such a turn off. I know some like the communal feeling of all wanting and gushing and the frenzy of it but that's such a turn off to me. I'll enjoy my records that don't I have to get angry in my enjoyment and collectibility of it. It's not enjoyable to me to be a Beatle vinyl collector and the OP (the subject not the poster) is exactly why.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    marcb and jedilips00 like this.
  2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

nm, answer in post above...

3. Dr. Night

Dr. Night New Member

You know what I mean. Why would you want this encouraged in the future and passed on?

4. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident Thread Starter

Should people pay less money for collectible Beatles vinyl, and more money for original pressings of Grand Funk Railroad Live Album?

5. Dr. Night

Dr. Night New Member

That doesn't answer my question. ;)

6. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Compared to the record stores I was going to (Scotti's & Vintage Vinyl), PREX definitely has "super bargains". The last time I was able to pick up 9 records in good shape for just over 40 bucks was probably in the 80's and early 90's

RelayerNJ, GetHappy!! and Comet01 like this.
  7. BlueTrane

Lol, you know what I mean. :D

You fleshed out your post a bit more while I was posting. I understand your frustration, but I don't think anything is fundamentally amiss here. Certainly, a significant collection such as this deserves special billing when it goes public - and PREX deserves credit for keeping the collection local to the shop, rather than trying to milk every last dollar through eBay or such.

ARK, troyvod, Gaslight and 2 others like this.
  8. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Huh?

GetHappy!! and Comet01 like this.
  9. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I think the value of a lot of Beatles vinyl(especially US 60's stuff), has been over hyped based on their rarity for years now. I personally think peeled or paste over Butchers are way over priced for example. But if someone wants to spend mega bucks on supposedly rare Beatles covers or label variations it's their own decision. Ironically those type of Beatles records rarely ever get played........but they do come with the bragging rights of limited ownership of a rare Beatles record. Even if that particular pressing sounds dismal. The added bonus is you can hang it on the wall!

10. Dr. Night

Dr. Night New Member

While I agree I'm glad this isn't another eBay case, I disagree that it deserves special billing. Just have it in the store, no promotion, and see what the real value of the records are. Pricing comparative to eBay listings and then giving it special billing is entirely what is wrong with the Beatles vinyl market. Guaranteed they wouldn't be able to sell these for a fraction of the cost. Plus to the point of the appraiser passing the "knowledge" along to future generations. WHY would you want that? Especially when the market that buys for that " knowledge" will not be there in future generations.

11. BlueTrane

Because - putting the Beatles concerns aside for a moment - PREX generally does a great job of pricing the used vinyl. And going forward, it's not all about the Beatles, obviously. I wouldn't want to be the poor souls upthread who live in the other parts of Jersey where they deal with surly store clerks who over-charge for beat up copies of Tales From Topographic Oceans.

ARK, empirelvr, RelayerNJ and 3 others like this.
  12. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Prex existed for like 25 years before they started doing marketing with social media. Times have changed. Posting new and interesting collections on social media is what record stores do now. They would have been able to sell the records for the same price, in this day and age, without "special billing." It sounds like you're mad that it's now and not some year past.

Prex is very heavily scoured by record dealers both online and overseas. If they don't price at least somewhat competitively with online selling prices (yes Ebay, yes Discogs, etc) dealers will scoop whatever up and resell it. They will anyway.

13. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I don't understand the issue here. What a great way to pad out your Beatles collection if you're so inclined. I didn't buy any of them, but I looked through yesterday and didn't feel there was any price gouging going on, and there definitely wasn't a frenzy while I was there.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  14. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Just FY(anyones)I: the stickers appear to be the same as in the 90s/80s, etc, but sometime in the mid 2000s, they switched from "permanent" to "removable" labels of the same shape and size. The removable ones are, in truth, less removable than we'd like for records, but they ARE better, and they crumble apart. It was definitely an improvement. But from the photo you can't tell the difference really.

15. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Just purchased three $40+Pink Floyd records from a good size local shop. (1000s of LPs, CDs, and DVDs)
    Each record had a clear sleeve with the price tag on it, and the inside of the jacket (where the record is) had a matching price tag.

16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I don't know what you mean. I read your post, and I don't follow what you're saying at all.

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Still don't get your point; I can't see any sense in what you're saying.

18. Dr. Night

Dr. Night New Member

I'm saying this is a bad idea and don't see how anyone would want this:

19. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Want what? To be alerted that a record store just got in a bunch of rare Beatles records? Why would you not want that? Especially if you're a collector trying to track down some rare Beatles records. They should buy the collection and sit on it? No advertising to let their customers know they're available? I'm seriously confused here...

20. BlueTrane

It's also worth mentioning that PREX does regular email alerts and social media postings (sometimes with videos) anytime they acquire a new, large collection of general interest. So it's not like they're doing anything unusual with regard to promoting the Beatles acquisition.

21. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Dr Night. What's another name for Sodium Chloride?

22. Dr. Night

Dr. Night New Member

The problem is I don't want the store identifying a "rare" record and pricing them exorbitantly like eBay and promoting them accordingly. I prefer them to be priced and treated like any other record. I don't feel obliged to the store for its triple digit Let it Be box or White Album mono vinyl. I can find that on eBay right now.

23. BlueTrane

At the store, I can hold the vinyl in my own hands to examine it. :shh:

SirMarc and RelayerNJ like this.
  24. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Yes, and I want a first pressing of all my favorite albums in mint condition, or better yet sealed, for 5 bucks each delivered to my house by the artists themselves! Come on man, its a supply and demand thing. Well, and a reality thing lol

25. Dr. Night

Dr. Night New Member

Right, because that's totally what I said. How is what I said the equivalent of wanting to find them in mint condition, sealed for $5?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.