Pro-Ject Alignt-It - confused

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ola Rundberget, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ola Rundberget

Ola Rundberget Forum Resident Thread Starter

Absolutely.! :)

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

All of the two point protractors align both overhang and offset, as previously mentioned. You have to go back and forth between the two null points adjusting overhang until the offset angle looks the same at both null points, and then set the offset angle so the cantilever looks right on the grid line, then check back and forth again, tweaking overhang and offset if not aligned at both grids. It's a tedious process to get it right. As mentioned above, it's much easier to print out a free arc protractor for your pivot to spindle distance, preferably the measured distance.

The Pro-Ject device should work for both overhang and offset, it has lines marked to set the offset, you only need one null point if you can set the overhang correctly.

John Buchanan likes this.
  3. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

It is free and easier to print out. But it is a tedious process and a great one!

4. Ola Rundberget

Thanks for all the inputs!! Now, is there any Long-term effects on the stylus / records when the overhang is not correct?
    I mean, as long as the cantilever was aligned, but the overhang was off?

5. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Chill.
    All cartridges on all TT are more or less not aligned. Not even Michael Fremer has perfect aligned cartridge. If it is 0.1 mm off or 5 mm..

Or you use to align with baerwald. Then it is it still un aligned if you compare with the better alignment method Lofgren B..

Or if you don't use linear tracking then you are compared to that not aligned again..

My point is that we are all more or less missaligned so welcome to the club.
    If you want "perfection" I (don't mean SQ wise) go the digital route.. :)

6. Ola Rundberget

Ill try hehe!
    Cheers!

Optimize likes this.
  7. Ola Rundberget

And i would also guess, no permanent damage done to my records?

8. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Ok you sound like you worry a lot about vinyl playback. :winkgrin:

If we go into deeper here. And I don't know if I do a disservice to you now..:angel:

But ALL vinyl playback WILL make a permanent damage to your records.

It is a physical format there the hard dimond stylus drag in a soft plastic groove. Even the hard dimond wears out by that action.

But flipping that around and say when the grove wear then next or the next thereafter will not sound the same as it's first playback.
    So it will be little bit of excitement to play records. (Yes I exaggerating a little bit):agree:

You will always hear something different in comparison to a CD player that you put in repeat. It will play until the next power outage or it break down.. not so fun in my opinion. But constant repeteble. That has its bennifits to. :winkgrin:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  9. Ola Rundberget

Naa, more of a general worry haha

Optimize likes this.
  10. Ola Rundberget

I got the Dr Feickert protactor - and set overhang / alignment of cantilever after Loefgren :)

However... Whilst doing this i accidentally pushed the cart down.. Not hard, but still..
    And while alignment of the cantilever.. I pushed it sideways abit..

:(
    I did have a listen, and it sounds fine.
    Have i done damage to it / or reduced its lifespan? :(

Helom likes this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

Project doesn't use Baerwald and the Align-It is a terrible implementation of a Dennesen-style protractor anyhow.

matthewp likes this.
  12. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

It does seem like they spec the 9cc tonearm for Baerwald (or Löfgren A), at least that's what the closest numbers seemed to indicate ... Pro-Ject Classic / 9" arm offset angle

13. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yes, whatever alignment they use, it's close, but not correct according to all my other protractors.

Optimize likes this.
  14. Ola Rundberget

Thanks for the replies :) I was however, abit careless whilst using the Dr Feickert.. f

irstly, for some reason i bumped the tone-arm, so that the cart was pushed down. Not really squeezed it, but a tap.

It bounced up again.
    And then, after that incident, i bumped it sideways abit..

Have i done damage to it, and can just throw it away now? How durable is the cantilever-suspension, and the diamond tip?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  15. Northa40

Northa40 Well-Known Member

I know I am late to the party but I use the arc protractor by Conrad Hoffman. Here is a link to his downloads. It is the third one down in the list, it is called, "Custom Arc Template Generator." It is quick and easy to use. I used it for my 1Xpression Carbon Classic DC, which has a 200mm pivot to spindle distance. Once you print it, make sure the scaling is correct. Hope it helps.

Conrad's Free Stuff

Optimize likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.