Pro Ject Classic - slight motor noise

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ola Rundberget, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ola Rundberget

Ola Rundberget Forum Resident Thread Starter

If anyone here has the same table - have you noticed a slight/ fsint motor noise if you put your ear on the lid / or verh close to the motor?

It does not bleed into the music - and it's the first time I noticed it today.

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

It isn’t surprising to learn that someone hears motor noise from a Pro-Ject turntable, especially when it uses what appears to be the same motor as the Debut series. That noise and attempts to solve it have been discussed in forums for quite some time. Isolating the turntable from the motor appears to be the reason for the polymer balls in the Classic.

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you do end up hearing the motor noise through headphones, just know that Pro-Ject considers that "in-spec" and won't do anything to remedy the situation.

4. Ola Rundberget

Yep! And I only hear it very close - 2-5 cm from the motor.

5. Ola Rundberget

Indeed - separating the platter/bearing and arm solved what was an issue with the Carbon DC. The motor however males a noise - have to be 2-5 cm from it, but it's there allrite.

6. gritty

gritty Forum Resident

I don't hear any on mine.
    I've got the Classic SB. With the way my crazy brain works, even though my current setup is humming along and sounds great, I sometimes look for reasons/excuses to replace with a Thorens TD 160, but I've yet to really find one.
    The Pro-ject is dead silent, with no issues thus far.

7. Ola Rundberget

Mine too :)
    The faint motor noise is thus only hearable very close to the motor. Not bothering me tho.

8. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

Is there some manufacturer documentation that stipulates motor noise is acceptable in-spec and that it is not covered by warranty?

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Not that I'm aware of. You think people would buy these things if they made such documents publicly available?

Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  10. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

So your statement: "Pro-Ject considers that "in-spec" and won't do anything to remedy the situation" is totally baseless and not true.

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Sorry but no. Just because I learned of this privately doesn't mean it isn't true.

Same goes for conversations I've had with manufacturers and users of different equipment. They're not going to post the downsides of those products on the front page of their website.

Sorry, the world doesn't work that way. These companies are in business to make sales.

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

A guy I know had a similar problem with an expensive Pro- Ject and the dealer was able to resolve it.
    Would never show up in the store, but the store owner came out to this home (now there’s service!) and he heard the noise and figured it out.
    Will try an track him down to see what the solution ended up being

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  13. Ola Rundberget

I just sent an email to Pro Ject - and to my dealer to see what they have to say. I guess some motor noise is to be expected? It's not that it's loud per day.. just audible when I listen for it - and leaning your ear on the lid / or close to the motor is not seen as normal use of a TT ? :p

14. Ola Rundberget

And most of the motor noise that was nearly not there in the beginning went away after running the table for 5 minutes.

15. Ola Rundberget

Thanks to the modern damping materials TPE* we are
    able to design a very effective, subchassis construction.
    Isolating the platter and tonearm from the resonances of
    the motor and main plinth is the target.

I guess that says it all. Motor resonance - which I guess is motor noise

16. Ola Rundberget

Thank you for supporting Pro-Ject. If the motor noise is inaudible through your speakers when music is playing, then it is considered within specifications for this turntable. I would advise contacting us, or the dealer from which you had purchased this product, if the motor noise begins getting any louder or if it is picked up through your sound system.

17. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

• I had a 2Xperience. It had a bit of motor noise which didn't bother me. It had a low freq rumble, which did some. But frankly, I found it to be a rather cheaply constructed table with mediocre sound. My opinion is that it was too little for the money. So I got rid of it. No mas ProJect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.