Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB Turntable -- Beatles edition

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joseph.McClure, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Anyone have an opinion on the George Harrison turntable? (link with specs below). As a George fan it sure looks cool! I'm in my 50's and I need a new turntable so I can enjoy my vinyl. I've been reading opinions here on the forum for awhile now, and honestly, I'm not sure what to buy. My budget is $500-$600. I'd sincerely appreciate some opinions. Thank you! Randy

Pro-Ject Audio Systems »

2. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

The Harrison table is an Essential III, and very basic. As ugly and overpriced as it is, the Beatles TT is a better option. Though I would skip the paint job editions altogether if I were you. I'd also up the budget somewhat and get a Pioneer PLX-1000, but that's just me.

PhilBiker and factory44 like this.
  3. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Anyone else have an opinion? I'd love to hear what more of you think! Thanks!

RascslMJ likes this.
  4. TheRavenPoe

TheRavenPoe Forum Resident

This is where you guys take a spit take because vendor cost on that table is right under $460. You're paying extra for subjective art.

[edit]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  5. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

If you don't mind the take of someone with much less technical expertise than so many of the brethren here, I'll take a stab. (I'm 64 and like much of the stuff you do. I have an older Pro-Ject 1.2 table with Grado Red cart and a Music Hall MMF-2.2 with stock "Tracker" cart -gonna upgrade the stylus one of these days. NAD and Marantz amps, NHT and Wharfedale Diamond speakers. Parasound phono stage on one rig. Basic baseline stuff. Clean albums, old and new. Stuff sounds good. Most every album I have sounds better than its CD counterpart, with a couple of ties. 10% of the time I wish for more.)

Yes, it's a nice table. This guy certainly thinks so.

Pro-Ject Essential III Turntable Review »

Could you better it sonically for $500-600? Yeah. Would doing so likely change your life? Not if you don't obsess over your gear. (I personally got over that.)

The Debut Carbon (with acyrlic platter upgrade or Carbon Espirit) should edge it out some. The Rega Planar 1 would beat it out, especially with a cart upgrade that Needle Doctor could install at purchase. The Music Hall MMF-2.3 is certainly more substantial and also has a carbon arm. The Pioneer mentioned earlier certainly is very good.

But this thing is pretty nice, IMO. They're only releasing 500 of them in the US, so there's that. (I've toyed with buying one and storing it for my son, who could either sell it at some point or just use it if it doesn't appreciate.) I suppose you pay up to $100 for the art and rarity. Is that a horrible thing? Doesn't seem like it to me, especially if it would be in a place in your home where it would be seen and hopefully appreciated for its uniqueness. I would guess that it might sound best in a system that is more on the fuller, forgiving side. At some point a stylus or cart upgrade could take it a bit farther, not to mention any other system upgrades. Clean albums are a must. Burn the felt mat.

The Music Direct 60-day satisfaction guarantee certainly offers a level of safety if you don't think it's up to snuff as well.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    H8SLKC, The Beave and factory44 like this.
  6. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Seriously. Do not buy this. Go buy a JVC direct drive turntable on craigslist for like 175 bucks. It will sound a lot better.

Old Rusty and factory44 like this.
  7. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

That's true, but I'll pick one up if it comes down to $399, and if they don't sell, they will come down.
    I have a red Esprit and it IS a fantastic Turntable for under $1000. Cannot fault it with the AT 120E cart I'm running it on.
    beave

8. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Dinstun and PhilBiker like this.
  9. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

If they had raised letter "The BEATLES" slightly crooked right under the stylus, with the serial number stamped - that would be extremely cool. IMO.

Rich C likes this.
  10. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I was just going to say exactly what you said.

PhilBiker likes this.
  11. John Marzy

John Marzy Well-Known Member

Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon Esprit SB Turntable (Beatles 1964 edition) now $449 at Best Buy (Magnolia)

RascslMJ and PhilBiker like this.
  12. SpeedMorris

I wish they'd do a comparable deal on the Sgt. Pepper Essential III. That would go right into my living room. Maybe the most indescribably beautiful thing since...

[​IMG]

13. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

HAHAHAHAH you and me both !

i went to best buy to get a couple dvd's of the wife, and what did i see........this damn thing !

i just don't need another TT...i have 3

14. RascslMJ

RascslMJ New Member

So, $450 new would be a good price?

15. TheRavenPoe

TheRavenPoe Forum Resident

Looks like you're paying what the retailer is paying. Which is usually a pretty good deal.

RascslMJ likes this.
  16. RascslMJ

RascslMJ New Member

Haha, yeah. I'm just not sure if I'm missing something. Not really a Beatles "fan", but a deal is a deal.

TheRavenPoe likes this.
  17. Deschka

Deschka New Member

Total newbie and novice here and am hoping for lots of help. I used to have a pioneer turntable back in the day and saved all my albums, which are pristine. I babied them and have been looking at turntables forever. I don't really want a Beatles turntable, but I think I will buy this . I just checked, it is now 399$ at Best Buy, which is, considering the components etc a really good deal from what I understand. And I need to stick to a budget. Still need speakers and everything else....

18. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

For $400 you can get a receiver, speakers, and an 80's direct drive turntable on Craigslist.

Or alternatively.

I saw a Pioneer receiver and a Dual belt drive table together for $100.

PhilBiker likes this.
  19. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I keep wanting to vinyl wrap my Pro-Ject. Never get around to it.

20. Deschka

Deschka New Member

So I guess you are saying used old stuff is still better than this ?

21. Michael Landstrom

Michael Landstrom Active Member

Just ordered one of these from BB. I am a Beatles fan, but probably would have got a plain colored one if price weren't a factor. Two things I noticed with the Beatles edition vs the reg esprit. First, the Beatles edition comes with "high quality semi-balanced Connect it E phono interconnect With gold-plated RCA connectors". Secondly, the Beatles edition has "Chassis made of resonance in-sensitive MDF". Neither of those features are listed on the standard esprit's product page. Are these upgrades over the standard version?

brad1138 and displayname like this.
  22. gmitchel

gmitchel Forum Resident

I think it is all the same as the normal Pro-Ject Espirit. My question (mainly to myself) is, do I buy one of these at $450 or the normal color at $550. It's a matter of buying from Best Buy or Needle Doctor. Is ND worth an additional $75-100 for the same product (assuming no tax from ND since I am out of state)?

23. brad1138

brad1138 Well-Known Member

Just bought one myself for $400, a few days before it went back up to $450 :)

I haven't had a turn table in my systems in about 30 years, and felt this was a good model to get back into it with. I personally love the Beatles, and have no problem with the graphics. I think it is selling it short to say it belongs in a "kids room" as someone said above.....

You don't have to spend thousands to have a "real" turntable. This model is well reviewed @ ~$600, I feel I got a good deal @ $400.

FWIW, I put together an entire little system for it. Schiit Mani w/Swagman Labs upgraded Power Supply, PS Audio P-200 preamp, 2x Marantz M-500 monoblocks, Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 spks. (Also Music Hall 25.3 DAC for FLAC files from laptop)

It is going into my kid's room when he moves out any day now...... (was supposed to happen feb 1st), I'm turning it into a listening/reading room.

[​IMG]

24. SpeedMorris

25. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

beautiful!

brad1138 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.