Pro-Ject Debut Carbon: Hum Fixed?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 7hik, Aug 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

Likewise - I have a Debut III SE and no issues. Any platter would resonate if you punch it ! Most folks who say they can hear these subtleties are middle aged or older with less than peak hearing I would imagine.

willboy and Soundslave like this.
  2. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

So that's why I can't hear that lousy carbon fibre arm resonating on my 2Xperience is it! :rolleyes: :D

SpeedMorris likes this.
  3. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Can you describe the tone arm resonance? I'm trying to pick up on what you were hearing via my own set up.
    If I turn the volume up to, say, half - which is LOUD - I can hear some low level background rumble (and when I say low level, I really mean low level). I assumed most set ups have this due to the nature of analogue equipment? Either way, it's hardly a deal breaker for me, but YMMV.

4. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I agree with the other poster on the cartridge. Swap the 95e stylus for a 95ml stylus. You already have the the new body. Massive upgrade in that area for $150 or so..and easy swap.

shirleyujest likes this.
  5. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Sorry, but no can do as I'm not sure what arm resonance sounds like myself. I'm nearly 70 so if it is present I doubt very much if I could hear it hence my tongue in cheek reply to jamo spingal' who's post I thought had a more than a hint of scarcasm, but perhaps I'm mistaken there. Neither can I hear any low level hum or rumble, nor can my son who has better hearing than me. As far as I'm concerned my 2Xperience is a quiet turntable. Perhaps someone who is familiar with arm resonance can describe it for us though I have a feeling they might say it's a slight loss of clarity or smearing of the sound.

jamo spingal likes this.
  6. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Gotcha.
    This was my mistake - thought you were against not pro.

willboy and jamo spingal like this.
  7. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I can see why you thought that. :) Nah, I just speak as I find, unlike some people on this forum.

raye_penber likes this.
  8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Loving my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon SB Esprit.
    Of course, I've only had it for 3 days but it sounds tremendous. Listening to some Liszt Rhapsodies (solo piano) and it sounds just wonderful. Great dynamics and a silent background.

9. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Have just ordered the Debut Carbon Evo am thinking it will be a slight step up from the SB Esprit?

10. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Looking at the specs I'm not so sure ... only had time to take a quick glance, but seems mostly identical except the Evo doesn't come with the acrylic platter?

11. Technocentral

Seems similar alright, has adjustable legs and x1 based suspension system, hard to know until some comparative reviews, is about 60 Euro more so assumed it was a bit better than Esprit.

12. raye_penber

raye_penber .

The Esprit SB has the adjustable legs (at least, I'm pretty sure that it does - I set it up five years ago so forgive me if I'm a little rusty).
    Unsure about the suspension system.
    Either way, you've got yourself a nice table (now, upgrade that platter and swap out the stylus for the 2M Blue and, above all else - enjoy!).

Technocentral likes this.
  13. Technocentral

Cheers I'd ordered the Planar 2 but seen the Evo press release just after, the dealer allowed me to change as it hadn't shipped yet, it sounds more upgradable than the Planar, comes with a better cart, adjustable legs and speed change button etc, any way I also just bought a new amp and speakers so my budget is maxed out, so I'll run it for a while then look into upgrade options, the platter isn't acrylic but is a dampened version of the DC model at least.

raye_penber likes this.
  14. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

And the new platter does weigh in at about .6 kg more than the acrylic. Should be good in terms of flywheel effect. Leather or cork-rubber mats would still be desirable.

In the US, the upgrade is a little more obvious, with the Sumiko Rainier cart included. (Those who prefer the Ortofon anyway are golden.) The key question becomes the effectiveness of the new motor suspension. If they've solved the issues there, Evo should be a huge hit.

Will look forward to your assessment! What other new stuff did you get?

Technocentral and raye_penber like this.
  15. Technocentral

V modest set up, moved in to my partners small house so a Onyko 9010 UK amp and Q Acoustics 2020i speakers and a rega preamp.

SpeedMorris likes this.
  16. Technocentral

Heinz Lichtenegger presents Debut Carbon Evo

Mine is being delivered this afternoon.

17. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

If you really have to get a white "stylish" turntable, maybe the Denon DP-400 is interesting?
    But if you want the best performance and durability for the money, a Pioneer PLX-1000 is probably a better choice.

18. Technocentral

[​IMG]

Just set Carbon Evo up, sounds v nice to me, going through phono stage into Onkyo amp, whirring sound for few secs before it reaches speed then dead quite, no background noise and lots of detail to my ears from albums I've tried so far.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Tracey, 7hik, Soundslave and 6 others like this.
  19. 7hik

7hik New Member Thread Starter

Looks nice. A Matt White Evo with an acrylic platter is on my Wishlist. Just waiting for a few more reviews on the hum....or lack there of.

20. Technocentral

No hum on mine, very few reviews of it so far which is surprising as available since Monday last in Ireland at least.

raye_penber likes this.
  21. raye_penber

raye_penber .

How are you liking it so far?
    Probably take a couple of weeks for the cart to break in, and everything to come together - but you should be getting some very nice results.

22. Technocentral

I love it, I don't have a 10 grand setup to compare it with of course, but I think it sounds great, pulls nice detail from my albums, last night played my used German copy of The Nightfly, sounds amazing, a few crackles as bought it in 2012 and have constantly played it, then used copy of Hearts and Bones album, lovely full sound, I next played the recent reissue of Prefab Sprouts "Steve McQueen" which I bought new, there was ZERO noise between tracks, totally silent, I think they did a really good job on this deck, no hum, I don't hear any resonance from arm or platter, maybe new dampening makes platter as quiet as acrylic one? Only let down was some sibalance on Nevermind which is the Back to Black reissue using ORG master I think, but Ive heard others with different setups complaining about that. When I get good use from the supplied Ortofon red will try its the blue cart

23. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Great to hear!
    Remember, you only need buy the Blue stylus, as it will work with your existing Red cart - for me it was a nice upgrade.

Technocentral likes this.
  24. Technocentral

Yeah cheers, I know that about the stylus only, maybe in 6 months after I get use out of Red, as I said above am happy with lack of noise from new platter so won't bother with acrylic one.

raye_penber likes this.
  25. Dirk92GTA

Dirk92GTA Well-Known Member

I chose the Debut Carbon Evo as my first turntable to own. I used to listen to records as a child in the late 70s/early 80s when my parents would put them on, so it has been a while. I have been following this thread closely these past few weeks as I had pre-ordered the TT before finding this thread and I was worried.

The TT arrived yesterday and I have not had much of a chance to use it yet. I did play a few tracks last night. I have nothing else to really compare it against other than my FLAC/MP3/streaming music. It sounds fantastic to me, no hum or any other issues yet.

I am playing it through a Cambridge Duo phono (refurbished on Ebay) and older Denon AVR-1713. I chose the satin blue color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.