Pro-Ject Debut Carbon or Rega - RP1 w/Performance Pack

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gates69, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

The dc model was listed somewhere (sorry no link) for $599 u.s.

So, i would assume it's going to have a price tag of close to $700 once it actually does reach us northern boys.

In which case, when you once again ask this forum "which table should i get" lol, you're going to be told "well for an extra $100-$200 you might as well consider such and such other table"...

Not you in particular, but you get what I'm saying. It's non stop indecision if you allow it.

I suggest, go to your local store, and let your ear decide. If you get it home and it's making a hum, and not sounding like what you heard in store, bring it back.

chuck rodgers likes this.
  2. chuck rodgers

chuck rodgers Forum Resident

I can't tell yo how many times I have started at that $400 price point and in my head slowly added $200 at a time until I am looking at a $3000 VPI. Then the search starts all over again as the reality that I can't afford anything near $3000 for a turntable.:) I laugh at myself every time it happens.

trd, Ham Sandwich and malco49 like this.
  3. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i do the same thing but stop around $1500.....my rack won't handle a 30 plus TT(i don't think) and my wallet won't handle anything more than $600 or so for a TT ......most likely going to go for a pro-ject debut lll carbon DC(i already have the acrylic platter) to replace my ten year debut lll(the motor seems to make a bit of noise)

4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I bit the "bullet" and bought a RP6. Should hold me for a while (like the rest of my life).

malco49 likes this.
  5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I had a good laugh cause I do the same thing. I want a turntable setup that is good enough to my ears. Turntable, phono pre, and cartridge. Every time I add it all up I realize I can't go there. I've heard the vinyl magic. But it's always involved preamps I can't afford. Maybe instead of turntable shopping I ought to go preamp shopping? If I can find a preamp with the soundstage and presentation I like (for headphone listening) at a price I can afford the choice of a turntable and cartridge will be easier.

6. Big-Faced-Child

Big-Faced-Child Forum Resident

I am currently on the cusp of buying a new turntable, the nominations are.
    Pr0-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
    Rega RP1- PP

The prices are close enough for me no tot really care and cosmetically the Pro-Ject has it.
    I am leaning towards the Pro-Ject now. This is the top of my budget.

Anyone want to convince me otherwise?

7. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

FWIW, I had the Pro-Ject and it had a significant "hum" issue (a known issue). I was able to mitigate it by adding washers to the motor mount. However, it was still there. It seems like a design flaw which tainted the experience for me. Plus, the cartridge had to be upgraded to eliminate significant IGD.

Good luck on your quest for a TT...a good one is really neat. I threw in the towel and sticking with CDs.

Big-Faced-Child likes this.
  8. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Can't answer as to the Pro-Ject. Ten years ago I bought a Rega p1 - the RP1 replaced it - and gave it my own performance package > 1/8 inch thick homemade cork mat, glass platter, white belt, Nagaoka MP110 cart, and most recently a Tangospinner subplatter. No regrets! Are you going to order a table online or are you going to a dealer? Suggest you physically go to a dealer and try one out. Bring along one/some of your records.

Big-Faced-Child likes this.
  9. Big-Faced-Child

Lots of mixed reviews, seems like peole have had had a few duds of each model.
    All good info, I'm going to go into a shop and give them a listen.
    Motor hum seems to be the biggest problem with the Pro-Ject and platter alignment with the Rega.

Hopefully the built in speed box on the Carbon SB will have eliminated the hum from the newer models.
    Only one way to find out...

10. Big-Faced-Child

So, for anyone interested, I went into a good hifi dealer and checked out both these models.
    The Pro-Ject definitely had the looks for me but I gave them both a good go. The guy in the shop tried to get me to lisen to one of the records they had but I insisted on bringing my own.
    He called them vinyls. I corrected him.

So I sat in their room and played a Leonard Cohen album which I know very well to try and finalise my choice.
    To be honest, I couldn't seperate them, they both sounded great. So I went with the Pro-Ject, not just for the looks but it just feels like a superior unit.

Once I took it home and hooked it up I played a record and even my teenage daughter commented that it sounded beter than the old one.
    I am very happy with my choice and it's been getting a good workout. The addition of the built in SB is also a great feature.

No detectable hum (once grounded) and can not find any fault with it at all. The 3m looks like it sits low but a bit of research has shown me that they do look that way.

Next I am planning to upgrade my amps built in phono stage with a tube box from Pro-Ject.

11. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been asked, but does anyone know if there is a speed box for the Debut Carbon "DC" model? I just received this turntable yesterday so i am excited to do a few upgrades.

12. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Isn't that already built-in on the DC model?

13. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

I believe the direct current provides better speed control but you still have to change belt position to go from 33 to 45 just like the non "DC" Debut

Davey likes this.
  14. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Well, yea, I see what you mean now, but it does provide a regenerated AC signal to drive the motor, which may or may not provide better speed control, I think it was partly an attempt to reduce motor noise problems caused by AC power line distortion. I know people buy the Speed Control mainly to allow changing between 33 and 45 without moving the belt, but they often wind up with higher motor noise on the 45 setting since the motor isn't optimized for that drive frequency. It's a common problem with most universal type speed controllers.

But in any case, I don't think you would be able to use a separate speed box type unit with the DC model unless it replaces the power supply that comes with it.

AtlTrav likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.