Pro-Ject Debut III still worth buying in 2022/2023

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rynmue, Nov 28, 2022.

1. rynmue

rynmue New Member Thread Starter

Hello everybody,

my old turntable broke and a new one need to come home now.
    A restricted budget sorts out a lot of good Turntables.
    For the moment i have my eye in the Pro-Ject Primary E and Debut III.
    Of course the E1 is new, but i don’t see the benefit of the higher price.
    So is the Debut worth 60€ more than the Primary E and is it still worth it to buy now?

Infos:
    - I don’t need a build in pre amp
    - I don’t care about manuell speed change because i listen to 33rpm in 99% of the time.

Hope someone can help me

Best, Ryan

2. fireflames

fireflames Forum Resident

Pro-ject has a lot of turntables models, it can get confusing. I had the old debut carbon tt, which looks more like the debut III but with a carbon arm. Pretty fun turntable actually. Didn't compare the 2, but the debut has a better motor than the primary, and I believe better platter also, so there's that.

3. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

4. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Had a carbon, had a bad experience…yours may differ…

5. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

6. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Save up and buy something better. :agree:

jeff

7. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Agree….I would have saved a lot of time/money

I went down the upgrade rabbit hole

8. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I know it’s not a popular opinion around here, but I think the Debut III is fine. However, some here and there are probably going to have the motor noise issue. Seems inevitable. It’s not like the they’ve changed that turntable much.

clhboa likes this.
  9. Inger06

Inger06 Forum Resident

Those transport screws were the bane of my existence (I stupidly didn’t know that was a thing) but once I got them sorted out, it’s been smooth sailing since (Project X1)!

matrix-6 and Glmoneydawg like this.
  10. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

I wouldn't buy another pro-ject.
    Cheaply made and the belt is a nightmare to fit. My pro-ject is gathering dust in the attic.
    Buy a refurbished vintage like Thorens or Systemdek.
    Far, far better quality for the same money.

11. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I think the Debut III is fine. I'm speculating but the change to Carbon Fiber tonearms has seemingly been reversed. So it would seem to me that in the long run, lower mass wasn't the best design for this price point. I had the Music Hall MMF-2 with the same arm. It's a good basic arm with the ability to change the VTA. I think it's much better than the E series.

clhboa likes this.
  12. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

Where can one buy a refurbished Thorens for the same money?

13. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

Ebay

14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The new Project Debut Pro is getting some very good reviews.

15. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

16. Daring

Daring My quest to marry Stevie Nicks has failed

I have carbon dc. It's a fine TT for the money and it looks very MCM and I like that.

17. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

No, they are very poor

18. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Same here with the 1Xpression Carbon Classic. The ground was also pretty finicky and updating the platter to the Acryl-It helped all but eliminate that electrical bee buzz (not ground hum). So three things you need to sort: 1) motor noise by removing the transport screws and adjusting the little rubber support stoppers, 2) ground hum by attaching the ground wire to the amp ground or other, 3) electrical buzz that seems to be exacerbated by the aluminum platter - it gets louder when you move the stylus over the platter and only when it is powered on. I think it's related to the power source. I removed an extra power strip for some lamps from my medical grade power strip and it went away. Once set up correctly it is a pretty nice turntable. It sounds just as good as my 1210GR. The GR on the other hand is not finicky at all. It just works, and you can easily swap headshells/carts. I also hated having to lift the heavy aluminum platter, which would sometimes stick, on the Pro-Ject to change speeds. The Acryl-It is much lighter and easier to lift off.

Inger06 likes this.
  19. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Quite possibly the ugliest turntable on the planet. :laugh:

jeff

Dhreview16 and Michael Macrone like this.
  20. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Funny. I actually love the minimal look of it along with the matte finish. My 1Xpression Carbon Classic is glossy piano black, but I think I might actually prefer the matte of the Debut Pro. It has an industrial minimalist flair about it. The gloss black on my Carbon Classic has picked up tons of hairline scratches over the years. The matte seems like it would be more forgiving.

Ste_S likes this.
  21. Daring

My carbon dc is the first TT I've ever bought new. It sounds better than all the vintage TTs I've had in the past. Do any of you guys have this TT and if so are you happy with it?

22. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

I have adebut Carbon Esprit ( it comes with an acrylic platter and built-in speedbox)
    I upgraded to a blue stylus and aluminium sub-platter and a power-supply upgrade. I more than happy with it. :)

this_machine and Daring like this.
  23. Daring

I've heard the blue is a good upgrade so I will be getting one after Christmas.

kundryishot likes this.
  24. serif

serif Well-Known Member

I just got a new X1 last week, and i’m very happy with it so far.
    After reading comments about Pro-ject quality issues, I was prepared for loud humming, motor noise, and all kinds of other problems, but fortunately my turntable had none of these. All i had to do was slightly adjusting the cartridge, they even included a (printed) alignment guide.

I’m in Europe, so mine came bundled with the Pick-it s2 cartridge, which AFAIK isn’t too far from the Ortofon OM10 i was using before. Sure, there are better options out there, for now i’m simply enjoying the ‘table as is.

Coming from a NAD 5120 i do miss the auto stop feature, but everything else is so much nicer on the Pro-ject. Motor is quiet, testing with strobe light speed seems to be stable, i don’t need to take the platter off for switching between 33/45, and the arm lifter is sooooo smooth.

For me, the Pro-ject was a big step up, and considering the quality and features it was quite cheap too.

Inger06 and kundryishot like this.
  25. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi Ryan!

I had one of the first Project Debut (I) back in the late 90s, when I got back into vinyl.

I had it for about 4 years before I upgraded. It was at that time a good choice for about 400 DM (about 210 Euro).

If you don't like used gear and do not want to save up for a better one, I think it is still ok for the asked price (270 Euro in Germany).

Bye Andrea :wave: