Pro-Ject Debut III still worth buying in 2022/2023

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rynmue, Nov 28, 2022.

1. warpig

warpig Senior Member

Just curious what broke on it?

2. vinylscuz

vinylscuz Forum Resident

I'm running a ProJect Essential III with a couple upgrades and I love it. I've read reviews and complaints about the Debut Carbon Tonearm and Cartridge compatibility. Maybe the new "E" is the way to go. Trust your instincts and research.

3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I have a Debut III that I use in my basement system. I upgraded it with a 2M Blue. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done. I have been fortunate as I have not had issues with it. I am curious as to how much of an upgrade the Carbon would be? For a inexpensive turntable I think it works quite well.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The Primary E has horrendously bad W/F specs. Debut III doesn't meet NAB standards but should be quite a bit better. I would not buy either, personally.

However, if you have to pick your poison between these, go with the Debut III.

5. Mister Triscuits

Mister Triscuits Well-Known Member

Every single discussion on these decks there are folks chiming in to say "well I must have got a good one because I don't get motor noise".. it doesn't work like that, they are mass-produced and all the same! These motors produce a lot of vibration, it has to disperse somewhere and suspending it on O-rings alleviates but does not eliminate the problem. What is really happening here is that more casual listening, typically through speakers, will not reveal the hum like critical listening through headphones does. It was a combination of that plus the PITA when it came to changing cartridges (or even just the stylus!) which made me get rid of my Debut III; a shame, as I loved the design / look of it.

6. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I've got a Debut II and I think it's fantastic, the only thing I don't like about it is that the belt can be pretty fiddly to put back on if it slips off the platter.