Pro-Ject LP/Stylus cleaning putty. Has anybody used this? Is it good?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kiko1974, Dec 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiko1974

Kiko1974 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've seen this record and stylus cleaner from Pro-Ject that consists on a yellow putty the you roll on records and it's suppose to clean it, I guess this must be sticky and at least dust will get stick to it. It can also be used to clean the stylus.
    I'd like to know if anybody has used it and if he/she got good results with it or to clean surface dust as I doubt it gets into the grooves, I'm fine with a a good old carbon fibre brush.
    This is the link to the product and a couple of pictures.
    Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Pro-Ject Vinyl Clean Record Cleaning Putty [​IMG] [​IMG]

bajaed likes this.
  2. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I have not used that, but similar things have been around for many years for cleaning computer keyboards and other things.
    There are a couple reviews of that Pro-Ject stuff on youtube.
    Here is an interesting link - see what this company has ( !!!!! ) in a same 160g size container ( !!!!! )
    Cyber Clean | discover a new way of cleaning

Kiko1974 likes this.
  3. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Don't see this at any US retailers yet?

Kiko1974 likes this.
  4. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

I haven't used it but can say DON"T press up on your stylus with it like in the pictures.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  5. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Reviving an old thread. Anybody try it yet?

6. Yes,a neighbour called round with it,very dubious,I tried it on a beater record with a beater stylus,I could not see how this compound could deeply clean the grooves,its mass and compound wouldn't allow it,I put it down to snake oil,it does remove surface dust,a common rag will do that,a Spin Clean will do a whole lot more,as for a stylus cleaner,well a £1 block of magic erasure works for me.
    The best use I found for it was to pick up cat hairs so in my opinion stick to the tried and tested practices.

7. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Avoid, I tried one, at some point the slime stared to disintegrate, pretty horrific, it looked like one of those creatures in ghostbusters after getting zapped!

8. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

Anything that looks as ghastly as that is getting nowhere near either my records or styli.

Personally over the decades I've been though every magic cleaning remedy know to man. I used a sticky roller (actually nothing more than the device you use for cleaning lint off your suit), which was fine until the adhesive degraded and then it left tarry goo in the grooves and ruined the record. Then I went for the Milty Permostat, that did what it said - no more static. But a gummed up stylus after every play. Fortunately this rubbish comes off in a record cleaner so I've now restored several dozen records that I'd sprayed with that muck. Then the Zerostat - basically a pistol operated gun that spays charged ions onto the record. Didn't do a damned thing. This actually was a piezo gas lighter in a moulded handle to look like a gun.

And those are just the ones I can call to mind as particular disasters.

9. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

I got some here, my dad got it given to him and he passed it to me. Its OK, I wouldn't use it as a sole method of cleaning LPs, more akin to a fibre brush but gooier, which I think is meant to get in the grooves. Doesn't leave fingers smelling nice after though but did pick up the dust.

I didn't and wouldn't try on a stylus though.

10. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Wet vac the vinyl, Onzow the stylus. At least with the Onzow you can see the dust and debris it collects and rinse it off. How do you rid a can of goop of all the accumulated detritus? Pass.

11. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Do you mean reviving an old thread or that thing that looks like some product for scrubbing pans in the kitchen?

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

My wife just got a package of a similar product that she's using for dusting, it really works well for dusting stuff around the house. The drawback is once it gets too dirty, you just have to chuck it, it cannot be washed for re-use. But if you've got some stuff that has even really stubborn dust, that goop will remove it.

I would NEVER use it on an LP though. It would work well for cleaning dust off of one LP, then the detritus that is on the goop will be there to scratch up your second LP.

I use Sleeve City's knock-off of Onzow Zerodust to clean my stylus, at least that thing can be washed when it gets too dirty.

Joel S likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.