Pro-ject NEW 2019 record cleaning machines VC-S2 ALU and VC-E

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Wachuko

Wachuko Forum Resident

Surprised nobody has made a 3-D printed diverter for it... I just checked Thingiverse.com for one...

Thank you. I will give it very little use as my collection is not huge... but I find that I need to clean them often due to the suspended dust around the room...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Western Movie likes this.
  2. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

No, no, no!

It has interchangeable large and small (label-sized) platters - these are essentially an interference fit on the spindle.

The label-sized platter is about 1 to 1.5mm larger (on the radius) than the label clamp - just enough to give the clamp something to bear on without bending the record.

As yet I have not tried using the larger (full-sized) platter and have had no issues with the small (label-sized) one.

The other notable feature of the unit is that it is super quiet in operation (even with the vacuum on).

Not a great picture but just to show the small platter - taken without removing the unit form the shelf on which it is stored.
    IMG 20200810 182526476 — Postimage.org

The Okki Nokki ONEd istributor int he US seems to be Vana Ltd:
    Okki Nokki .

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    GyroSE and Wachuko like this.
  3. Wachuko

Wachuko Forum Resident

Thank you!! That was the only concern that I had... I added myself to the waiting list to get one! Found a store in the USA that carries them, TrueAudiophile.com - I was told that it will be a month or so before it arrives.

MGW likes this.
  4. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

When my good old Okki Nokki dies this is the RCM I’ll go for. :agree: Is there another RCM that has a better price performance ratio on the market right now? No I don’t think so. With all those features included I believe it’s very hard to beat in its price bracket and probably in the next higher price bracket as well.

Timbo21, Wachuko and MGW like this.
  5. Dischord

Dischord Well-Known Member

The small platter is briefly shown at 5:00 in the video. I have seen the same video recently since I have been torn between getting a Okki Nokki One or a Pro-ject S2 Alu. But I am more and more leaning towards getting the Okki Nokki.

Wachuko likes this.
  6. MGW

The video narrated also incorrectly describes the small platter as being specifically for 7" records. It is not. It is for all sizes, just as I'd the full-size platter.

Dischord, displayname and Wachuko like this.
  7. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

I've been using the cleaner fluid that came with the VC-S but I hardly have any left. I read about L'Art Du Son, but is it really worth it? 100ml are more than double the price of the VC-S liquid.
    Anyone has used both?
    Thanks!

Sullygr2221 and MGW like this.
  8. MGW

I tried, briefly, the fluid that came with the Okki Nokki ONE and then tried the L'Art Du Son. The LADS was much easier to use and just seemed to get my LPs cleaner.
    Never tried the Pro-ject liquor but thoroughly recommend the LADS.
    The 100ml, once diluted, goes a very long way!

sound chaser and displayname like this.
  9. Sullygr2221

Sullygr2221 Well-Known Member

I used a 40:1 ratio that works very good. The Wash-It uses a 10:1 ratio.
    Gerald

displayname likes this.
  10. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

It's very concentrated.

Sullygr2221 likes this.
  11. culp4684

culp4684 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of picking up either the VC-S or VC-E and was wondering if anyone used Tergikleen as their liquid. I've been using it with the Knox cleaner and i know that it has to be rinsed. Does anyone do this?

12. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

UPDATE

Sumiko processed by warranty request pretty quickly, confirmed the vacuum motor is shot, and is replacing my VCS-MKII with a new VC-E.

Hopefully it is a more robust machine than its predecessor.

Peterr, Wachuko and displayname like this.
  13. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Finally got to put my VC-S Alu to the test! I cleaned a few records yesterday, but just now spinning a couple. The unit works great. Probably not the strongest suction on the market, and generally required a few rotations in each direction to get records fully dry. But it is so much easier and faster than the Squeaky Clean Vinyl I had been using. Slightly quieter as well.

I'm early into testing, but I feel pretty happy with Pro-ject fluid as well. We'll see how that holds up as I get into some older/grimier albums.

Peterr likes this.
  14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

This is my DIY solution for cleaning 45s on my Pro-Ject: a fender washer and a strip of cardstock.

The only drawback is the clamp covers up much of the deadwax, and on longer sides, the wand sometimes doesn't totally reach the end of the play groove, requiring the use of a microfiber towel. Still, I am OK with that if it saves me from having to spend $149 on a Pro-Ject 45 kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Goldy, Western Movie, E.Baba and 2 others like this.
  15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Meanwhile, two months, two phone calls, and about five emails later and I still haven't heard a word from them. I'm told "ASAP" about once per week from the customer rep, still zero contact from service. I'm pretty speechless at this point.

16. displayname

I would expect your dealer to be step in and help with pushing them to get this resolved.

Uglyversal likes this.
  17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've certainly considered this. But contacting my dealer to serve as a middle man when I already have direct access to the people whose job it is to resolve this isn't a very good look. Let's just say its a good thing I'm not really interested in any of Sumiko's product line.

displayname likes this.
  18. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

I had Upscale Audio badger Sumiko for me, might have helped. They were as disappointed as I was that something they sold fell on its stupid face after just a few months. Good eggs at Upscale, for sure.

displayname likes this.
  19. displayname

Yes, but this is also why a lot of companies work with dealers still. It essentially allows them to outsource some of this customer relationship management. Gives them fewer individuals to manage.

20. action pact

You think that getting a retailer to lean on their vendor on your behalf isn't "a very good look?" This makes no sense to me. In what way does that reflect poorly on you?

MGW, Timbo21 and displayname like this.
  21. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Hi action pact. That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I tried it using a small piece of plastic on my VC-E.

displayname and action pact like this.
  22. action pact

That should work just fine, maybe better!

Whenever I get around to cleaning some 10" discs, I plan to re-trim the cardboard so that the narrower side fills the gap.

Western Movie and displayname like this.
  23. rocnred

rocnred Southwest Desert Freak-a-zoid

Pro-Ject Record VCS Cleaning Machine Dust Cover
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RRM38X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2763VQ7SN6URD&psc=1

Uglyversal and displayname like this.
  24. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

That is very interesting to know that exist. I will later on look for an alternative seller because "This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location." Amazon makes it just impossible to deal with them from Australia and they have been in my black books for some time.

Thank you anyway, it's great that you've told me!

rocnred and displayname like this.
  25. rocnred

rocnred Southwest Desert Freak-a-zoid

Just when I think I was ready to pull the trigger on a RCM, The Pro-Ject seemed like a perfect solution. Then I get further down the posts and see vacuums blowing up, poor customer service, large pita shipping returns, motors burning up, etc. Been looking at VPI & Okki Nokki and hearing similar but different things. Buying a tube amp, turntable, and a cart this year is nothing compared to this.

On one hand you have people swearing by their RCM that they have had for 37 years. Then in the next post you got someone who has had one for a week and half and it is on fire and the toll-free customer service line is getting the busy signal.....for 8 days in a row!
    Then you have people swearing by how amazing they are and the records have little to no surface noise with no clicks. Then you got some guy who uses a wire coat hanger, a garden hose, and a shop vac and swears he can hear that Jimi had a salami sandwich during the recording of "Gypsy Eyes".

But then again, record cleaning is more like voodoo magic than anything else. Think I just might whip me out some Elmer's wood glue and call it a day.