Pro-ject NEW 2019 record cleaning machines VC-S2 ALU and VC-E

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

LOL. I don't think is as bad as voodoo magic. I am not going to re-read the lot but in regard of the Project I think the problems were with the VC-S which you might still be able to get new but it has been replaced with the VC-s2 ALU and the VC-E.

Both machines visually look better made than the old one, I don't know internally. I haven't used it that much and mine is only 2 months old or less, I do hope it doesn't blow but it's doing the job and it was cheapish compared to the other options.
    The only thing I don't like is the noise level but that seems to be pretty common for something with a vacuum cleaner inside.

2. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Welcome to the internet.

rocnred and LivingForever like this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I would imagine that any Pro-Ject dealer can source one for you. Here the US, there are many online dealers offering them.

I can totally relate to this! At the end of the day, you pay your money and you take your chances, and hope for a positive outcome.

Knock on wood, my Pro-Ject has been working great for the couple of weeks that I've owned it, and it's nice to have a RCM that isn't an eyesore.

rocnred likes this.
  4. action pact

Compared to the Record Doctor V that it replaced, the Pro-Ject isn't overly loud. I used to use the RD V in an upstairs room and, even with the door closed, my family downstairs would complain about the racket.

Uglyversal likes this.
  5. action pact

Question for my fellow Pro-Ject owners...

More often than not, there will be a ring of moisture near the center of the LP side that takes a few extra rotations to vacuum dry. I've examined the wand for a defect and even replaced the felt strips, but it still happens. It's not a huge big deal, but I'm wondering if this is just the way it works or if there is an issue.

6. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Which model do you own? With my VC-E, I haven't experienced moisture near the center, but I did occasionally have a bit along the outer edge. See my previous posts in this thread. Adjusting the height seems to have alleviated it.

7. action pact

I have the full-sized VC-S2 ALU.

Hmm, funny, but I haven't had any moisture build-up at the outer edge, just a ring maybe 1/3 of the way from the end of the wand, towards the center of the playing surface. Like I said, it gets picked up eventually, but it takes longer than the rest of the side. I've messed around with the platter height to no effect.

Maybe I'll contact Music Direct and see if they will replace the wand.

8. displayname

I've just given it a few extra rotations. I make sure to go in both directions. It's really not a big deal so far in my experience.

9. action pact

Are you getting the same ring around the center as I am? If it's normal behavior, I'm can live with it.

I have also found that reversing the direction during vacuuming sometimes speeds up the process. I'm guessing the felt strips are getting wet along the leading edge.

displayname likes this.
  10. displayname

I wouldn't say I'm getting a ring so much as that section just takes the longest to get cleaned up. That issue also occurred on Squeaky Clean from time to time. I think it mostly has to do with that being the open and of the tube at the furthest point, which simply has less suction compared to the rest of the tube. In my mind, an extra couple rotations is nothing to worry about.

In the most extreme cases - aka when I put too much fluid down - it might get right up to the label where the wand doesn't really reach. I don't stress about that last bit of deadwax and just give it a quick wipe with a cloth that I keep on hand.

action pact likes this.
  11. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Mine is like that too. Because you have the clamp overhanging the label it can't reach all the way in.

I'm very happy with mine. I buy about 5-6 records a month. Give them a zap on the VCS2-ALU with some L'Art Du Son and I can rest assured I'm looking after my stylus

displayname likes this.
  12. action pact

I want to make sure that I am being clear about what I am talking about.

[​IMG]

FalseMetal666 likes this.
  13. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Mine was doing a little bit of this so I fussed with the platter height a little (there's an allen head set screw that you can loosen JUST A LITTLE to move the platter up) and it took care of it.

It was fussy though, probably better to just have a microfiber on hand.

action pact likes this.
  14. action pact

Yeah? I tried adjusting the platter... I guess I can take another shot at it.

The important thing to me is this is not a defect per se, just part of how it operates, so that's a relief!

15. displayname

Thanks for the pic, that is not something I'm dealing with. But I would expect a couple extra rotations, and doing rotations in both directions would knock that out. If it doesn't dry up with a couple extra rotations and going in both directions, then that's really odd and something I'd look into further.

I think we need to remember that most records are not exactly flat. Some aren't even really that close to flat, lol. So if that happens at various places, it's more likely variance with each piece of vinyl. But if it's in the exact same spot on every record then something is suspect with the arm tube. I'd try messing with the height adjustment, but after that I might email the dealer and let them know the situation. I'd be surprised if it got that far though.

16. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I got this a bit on heavy weight vinyl and just gave it a couple more rotations both ways. Heavy vinyl doesn't pull into the vacuum as well as the flimsy stuff.

FalseMetal666 and displayname like this.
  17. action pact

Excellent points, which I had considered. Thank you!

displayname likes this.
  18. action pact

On the phone now with Music Direct... After discussing with them, they think it's best to ship me a new unit.

19. displayname

And that is the value of working with a quality dealer.

20. action pact

Totally!

displayname likes this.
  21. Uglyversal

Sure, initially I didn't realize it was made by project but when I did I thought in checking next week with the dealer I've bought the RCM from. It is no guaranteed I can get it this way because sometimes the importers here are weird about bringing some accessories. I want to avoid Amazon, I can get it through the local one but here it works out to be US $65. If no better option appears I will still pay it.

One thing I also realized is that that cover is intended for the older VC-S, mine is the VC-S2 ALU where the edge is not flush, it has a lip and that is going to get in the way of installing the hinges. I will have to work out something about that. I bet after I go through the trouble project will release one for the VC-S2 ALU:doh:

22. Uglyversal

Only in the dead wax close to the label where the wand doesn't reach, I wipe that off by hand, I don't get what you show in the photo.

Have you checked that the felt is in clean, good condition and there is nothing blocking that area of the wand's slot? I wouldn't worry about a couple more turns.

displayname likes this.
  23. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I did speak to a dealer, and they will be releasing a proper dust cover for the VC-S2 ALU. However, now I am thinking why on earth do I need a dust cover. The only thing I’m concerned about dust getting on is the felt pads on the wand, and they’re pointing down and it’s easy to use a stylus brush on them. Don’t think I will be forking out £50-£60 on one

displayname likes this.
  24. Uglyversal

Is that much in the UK too? Your points went through my mind too. While the machine is simple enough there will be places where dust will accumulate and I know I won't be cleaning often. Like the plate foam that in turn will pass dust to the labels. Then it might not happen but sometimes aluminium corrodes and makes it look yucky. I don't like the idea of spending that extra money but I will regardless the only thing then I might wait a little until they release the lid designed for the VC-S2.

25. action pact

I went so far as to replace the felt strips... no dice.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020