Pro-ject NEW 2019 record cleaning machines VC-S2 ALU and VC-E

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Dec 25, 2019.

1. ogdens_sliced

ogdens_sliced Walnut Plug

2. timlike2020

timlike2020 New Member

I bought the VC-S2 from Juno records in the UK for a great price of £340. JUst click on the chat box and mention a better price and they give me 22% discount on the already discounted price so very happy. Took about 3 minutes to set up. Applied fluid no problem.
    The problems started for me when i vacumned the fluid off or rather half of it. there was a lot of fluid left. Ok. Read instructions, Ah adjust platter. I tried several heights and none of them would remove all the liquid. From reviews I've read and forums like this one I knew nearly all should be remove. Tested suction, seems ok.
    When I looked real close at the spindle turning it doesn't seem quite straight as it turns so I'm guessing thisis the problem. Quick call to Juno and I'm returning. Annoyingly they don't just send anew one out, they have to check it so they suggest they will refund me and If I want another just to reorder it.
    Has anyone else had the bent spindle problem?

3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

A thought here - the reason the VC-S2 was discounted is its discontinued. I get the sense Pro-Ject iterates these machines to get them right, I heard of all sorts of problems with the VC-S and VC-S2. So here in the thread for the third generation of Pro-Ject RCMs, you're unlikely to get any information on the problems of the first and second generation units. I can only assume the issues you mention were fixed in the third generation as I don't have them.

4. timlike2020

timlike2020 New Member

No this is the VC-S2 ALU I'm talking about. The latest model

5. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Sorry, mine is VC-S MKII.
    I was able to reduce noise by spraying some WD-40 inside the motor, but still... sounds like vacuum bearings are in trouble )).
    I sent email to Sumiko, but knowing how bad they are I am not holding my breath.
    Anyone knows what is vacuum motor they use?

6. wbass

wbass Forum Resident

I've got a VC-S (MK2). It's basically working just fine for me and is way less of a PITA than my Record Doctor V.

One thing tweak I discovered recently is to 1) turn off the vacuum 2) lift the wand before stopping the motor. That keeps the strips from leaving water droplets.

Previously, I was just sleeving the records with those few small/micro beads of water on them, figuring that they dry soon enough. Lately, I've been rethinking the wisdom of that. (Question for the group: How worried should I be about mold growth from this little bit of water? I haven't seen anything yet--fingers crossed!--but I've gotten a little paranoid from reading mold-related threads.)

Now, I'm giving LPs a few more revolutions than before, and they seem to be coming out drier and/or about as dry as I can get them without an additional air dry. The air dry would seem to be an invitation, after all, to get them dusty again.

PooreBoy likes this.
  7. Old Zorki II

I always let record dry for 15 minutes on a drying rack before sleeving it or start playing - it does the trick..

Mikewest and wbass like this.
  8. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

With the VC-E it goes straight into the sleeve.
    Huge suction power i`ve been very impressed after 2 turns one way.
    But before the the suction motor completely stops I do pull it up to prevent a slight moisture from the felt pads.

9. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I'm not sure that video was actually showing the VCE now shipping with a plastic platter to overcome the outlet issue. I think he was using that purely for demonstration purposes, instead of a record. After all, the guy appears to have a lab suit and rubber gloves, and does not actually demonstrate the machine fully.

10. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I just ordered one from Juno and received it yesterday.

My first clean, the record stopped rotating and was stationary with the vacuum preventing it from rotating. I had to screw the clamp down pretty hard to remedy it, but after a cleaning approx 4 all seems good. I tested with a bit of other cleaning solution I had. Annoyingly I'm waiting for distilled water to be delivered, there are no bricks and mortar shops around that sell it. Chemists will order it in, but sit' still a wait.

11. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

The manuel actually display's the pvc platter.
    And the guy in the video was very afraid of the virus (Italy).
    See his other not so great video's ;)
    Grtz peter

Timbo21 likes this.
  12. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Ahh yes.

I'm sure they will send you one if you need. Pity they didn't make a little divert tube.

Peterr likes this.
  13. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

I did put in a 20mm pvc airconditioning condensation knee and 10 cm of tubing.
    The knee needed a bit sanding to fit.
    But you're right they should provide a decent solution.
    Would not be a expensive fix I think.

Pali Gap likes this.
  14. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Yeah I’m not sure why they haven’t developed some kind of press in pvc diverter.

It’s definitely a design flaw. I rigged up mine with a homemade diverter and solved the problem.

Timbo21 likes this.
  15. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Thanks for the reminder. I emailed Pro-ject about the availability of the platter on May 21, shortly after the video was posted here. They forwarded it to Sumiko in the US. On June 1, Sumiko replied that they're unaware of the platter and asked to see the video. I sent the link on June 2, but never got a reply. So, I sent a follow-up just now. I'm not holding my breath...

16. dougotte

I'd been using my RD fluid, and was going to switch to the Pro-ject fluid after the bottle was empty. But, I finished up a squeeze bottle of contact lens solution, and after rinsing it thoroughly, I'm now using it for the Pro-ject fluid. I've tried a few disks. It works fine, but I can't say it's any better or worse than the RD fluid.

17. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

It's now in the manual, so download it from the website and send it to your retailer. Failing that, send an email to Project I would.

dougotte likes this.
  18. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I've used Project's. I've now ordered some L'art du son and will see if it's better/worse/same and will update

Sullygr2221 and dougotte like this.
  19. dougotte

I finally received a reply:
    "They've recently added that to the VC-E in Europe. It's not available in the US yet, but it should show up at dealers when it arrives."

So, apparently the platter and the 7" adapter are not available online, but can be ordered/purchased in the US from audio shops.

20. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

I'm figuring whether or not to stretch and grab the VC-E versus a new Record Doctor V at $200 or a used Nitty Gritty 1.0 at $175. It seems appealing but the vent hole (and the acrylic platter band aid for me is counterintuitive to the smaller platter advantage in my eyes) is an unfortunate oversight but a DIY solve doesn't seem too difficult. The small footprint of these 3 is what I'm looking for but truthfully I don't know if the premium for the motor is worth it.

Anyone see any deals on the VC-E in the states?

21. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I used a 1st Canadian press of Rolling Stones 'Sticky Fingers' to test. It's a bit dull compared to my Sonic USA version.

I gave it a go with Project's 'Wash It'. It was definitely an improvement. I washed it again and no difference. I've given it a play today and then washed it with L'Art Du Son and gave it another play.

I will be using L'Art Du Son from now on. It had better soundstage and the guitars really had nice texture and harmonics. I heard quite a bit O hadn't noticed before. I really like this copy now.

displayname and MGW like this.
  22. Old Zorki II

Just got VC-E as a replacement for VC-S, which really started sound horrible after 1000 or so records washed.
    Much quieter then VC-S ever was, but ergonomically a bit cumbersome (I wish they 'll put switches on another side). Or may be I used to first design ))

23. Western Movie

Western Movie Well-Known Member

24. Old Zorki II

This is strange and perhaps bottle with it was not stored properly. Also some people may mistake cloudiness of the solution (normal) with mold.. I never had an issue, but my bottles never lasted 18 month )).

25. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Anyone vacuuming both ways?