Pro-ject NEW 2019 record cleaning machines VC-S2 ALU and VC-E

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I think a point is not vacuuming -but scrubbing in both directions, as there a belief around that you have to scrab it "both ways". Not sure it is very scientific, but it is.
    Cyclone is very fast and powerful, and if you clean 50 records a day it makes a difference.
    I totally agree with design complains -I think design of Pro-Ject is far superior, it is implementation that was subpar so far.

displayname likes this.
  2. C62MAP

C62MAP Well-Known Member

Hi there.
    Could you please explain for me what "pet pad" are? I have the "non-alu" mk2 model, and just got started up with the cleaning process, and have already noticed a problem with spilled solution on the top of cabinet? For now, i'm using a couple of cotton pieces/cloths to avoid it, but better solutions is very welcome :) Thought of a ultra sonic washer, but couldn't afford it for now, and got a very good deal on the "non-alu" mk2, which was a demo from my local dealer, only cleaning 30-50 records, and for the half price of the asked (from new). So i just got started with this, after many years with my Knosti, but owning several thousands records, i always wanted to do better on my cleaning, and i guess i find my way with this vacuum cleaner, where the project perhaps is one of the best bargains out there now..!!

3. Western Movie

Western Movie Well-Known Member

Yes I do, it seems to do the trick. I leave the record to dry for a couple of minutes before it goes in the sleeve

Timbo21 and C62MAP like this.
  4. C62MAP

C62MAP Well-Known Member

Don't you think that project claims that for their own benefits, when speaking out of NOT using other companys solutions?
    I think we can count on that, and it seems like you also tried out something else, and of course there are many other good solutions out there for one to try out. I guess the only thing that you have to take into consider, is the use of alcohol or NON alcohol solutions, and the likes of DIY cleaning, which is some kind of a mystery to get around? Personally i read a lot of different solutions, for different "machines" and ways to clean, and found out that it's much more convincing for me, when using cleaning products from various brands (find the one you like best), instead of mixing it yourself.
    The one step cleaning from MFSL (mobile fidelity sound lab), is perfect for vacuum machines, but Projects own mix is also a good choice.
    But don't get hanged up by those manufactories claims of only using THERE products, but try out all kinds of solutions for yourself ;-)
    I love my new machine :pineapple:

DrZhivago likes this.
  5. C62MAP

C62MAP Well-Known Member

It's possible to lower the sub platter, as i would do here, trying to level the record surface, so the tube is aligned correctly. You should be able to read about it on the manual. For me it's seems like it will do the trick.
    Best,
    Thomas

6. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Those are large pet training pads, they sold them in every pet store and I think even large grocery ones. They are designed for a pet (usually a puppy) to pee inside, therefore they are highly absorbent and have a water-resistant bottom. My puppy grown up and no longer need them, so I have a large unused supply )).
    Here is amazon link https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Heavy-Puppy-Training-25-Count/dp/B07CWHWCJZ/

7. C62MAP

C62MAP Well-Known Member

Thx very much :righton:

8. I've always applied the fluid and vacuumed in both directions.

9. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Hi Thomas. Thanks for the helpful suggestion. It was quite easy to adjust the spindle. At first, I removed the clamp per the instructions to get to the flange screw. Then, I realized I can reach the screw with my hex screwdriver without removing the clamp.

In my case, I raised it a bit so there's a more even contact when I lower the arm on a disc. I still see a very slight gap on the outer edge, but as soon as the vacuum is engaged, it seems to be a tight fit. I didn't want to raise it any further because the the arm might be pushing down too hard on the inner part of the record. I'll try it a while and report back.

I still think the problem would be alleviated if there were a platter under the record, so it would be supported and not sag along the outer edge.

Regards,
    Doug

10. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I don't see it as a problem since the vacuum will pull up that outer edge

displayname likes this.
  11. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

Thanks, Do you guys turn off the vacuum before you change directions, or do you just flip the direction whilst the vacuum is fully engaged?

12. I just flip direction with vacuum on.

DrZhivago likes this.
  13. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Hiya Timbo. You're probably right, but I occasionally noticed a few drops of fluid remaining near the outer rim after cleaning. However, I haven't noticed it recently, and I doubt it would be a problem anyway.

Timbo21 likes this.
  14. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

it is better then the 16.5 should I trade my 16.5 for this machine?

15. mark62

mark62 Member

Does anyone know if the U.S. is getting the platter yet?

16. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

See post #57 above. I think the VPI is a better built machine, but I'd take the pro-ject for 1) its 2-way motor and 2) its metal wand (the replacement costs for VPI's plastic junk is ridiculous).

displayname and Rolltide like this.
  17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

If VPI would combine their apparently indestructible mechanical components with pro-ject's design concepts I'd pay whatever they asked.

displayname likes this.
  18. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Sorry, it's a lazy Sunday morning here I won't read the whole lot but I've noticed some people complaining about a couple of problems with the VC s2 is that an endemic issue or only some machines are a lemon like more or less happen with everything?

Also, what are the differences between the the VC S2 and the VC e? At first glance they would seem to have the same specs only that the reservoir would be smaller. Any input is appreciated as I think I am almost decided to buy one fairly soon. Thanks!

19. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

The Okki Nokki ONE seems to me to be the one to go for.

GyroSE likes this.
  20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

This morning I bought an open-box VC-S2 ALU from Music Direct at a $100 discount. This will hopefully be an upgrade from the Record Doctor V I'm currently using.

I see that 7" wands cost $89, which is a lot of money Is there any reason why a piece of paper or felt wrapped around the edge of the wand and secured with a rubber band wouldn't work for 10" and 7" records?

displayname likes this.
  21. Uglyversal

The reason I've been thinking of the Project is because I can probably get it a lot easier in my area from a dealer I trust will back me up should there be any problem but I'll keep the Okki Nokki in mind. Is there any particular reason that one is popular? Thank you!

displayname likes this.
  22. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

You should probably just read the thread because all this is covered multiple times.

Keynotes: VC-E has odd exhaust placement, exhausting into the bottom side of the record, resolved with an acrylic mat apparently.
    VC-S2 has had some issues which seem to largely be resolved with the newer ALU model, but time will tell.

It does look good, but I was hesitant with unknown ship dates and lack of real user reviews.

Uglyversal likes this.
  23. Uglyversal

I'll try later, I didn't do it because besides being sleepy the 7 pages were too intimidating and it felt like I was going to be searching for the hidden dvd's easter eggs.

displayname likes this.
  24. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I have been getting used to mine the last three weeks.
    - No issues such as the exhaust on the Pro-ject.
    - Full-size and label-size platters included.
    - The wand is switchable for 12", 10" and 7".
    - Single switch unit for anticlockwise and clockwise rotation and vacuum, so very easy to operate.
    - Quiet but very powerful vacuum.
    - Built like a brick outhouse and looks to me as if it will last.

There's your user review.

The distributor in the UK (Decent Audio) has an excellent and justified reputation for customer service.

And yes as @displayname said you should read the thread.

Craig, displayname and Uglyversal like this.
  25. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Here's some random thoughts on a Sunday morning -

-I had an original Okki Nokki, and got tired of replacing the expensive arm wands every year or so when they warped - I see the new One model uses these same arms. I won't go into details, there's a thread about this warping problem. Eventually the vacuum broke as well making it a moot point.

-Then I got the VCS-2 ALU, and it worked fantastic for a few months, then the vacuum broke, and I've been waiting over a month to even get a response to my warranty claim from Pro-Ject

-In the entirety of human history, there are no records of a VPI record cleaning machine breaking. Replacing a cheap arm wand here and there, sure, but never the damn thing breaking - people boast about owning them for 30+ years. There's a VPI dealer in your area.

AnalogJ, displayname and Uglyversal like this.