Pro-ject NEW 2019 record cleaning machines VC-S2 ALU and VC-E

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Dec 25, 2019.

1. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Might be off topic, but just a word of warning:

I purchased a VCS-MKII from Upscale Audio just 6 months ago and it started making a horrible whining from the vacuum. Sounds like a failing bearing or something like that. Filed warranty request with Sumiko (parent company), took better part of a week for anyone to answer, and now they expect me to ship it to them, half way across the country, at my expense, so they can assess whether the problem even falls under warranty.

The f**king thing will cost at least $50 to ship, I gotta buy all the packing crap, etc. So, it might cost me like $100 to send it on its grand tour, get told Pro-Ject won't warranty it, and then pay to ship a malfunctioning piece back to myself.

This RCM isn't much more than a vacuum cleaner in a cardboard box - the fact that it cost $500 is an insult to begin with, and the fact that it can't go 6 months without falling on its face should embarrass anyone associated with its manufacture or distribution.

2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Unfortunately that is what you are exposed to with most faulty products, I'll be furious if I was in your shoes too but it is the way things are. With just about everything you have to be praying nothing goes wrong. Here in Australia we have much better consumer protection than in the US but I have sufficient experience to know that you don't want to test that protection as things don't always go the way they are supposed to. Even when they go right, the waste of time and sometimes money is still something you don't want to go through.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm surprised that it doesn't evaporate! :righton:

I decided to forego using the goat's hair brush, and have been instead using my trusty MoFi brush, which does a better job of spreading the fluid and scrubbing inside the grooves. The Pro-Ject has a lot of torque, so it works well with the MoFi.

4. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Well, you just need not to get cheap on cleaning liquid )). After 5 minutes it indeed can start drying out a bit, in this case I am applying a little more solution with a brush and vacuum almost immediately.
    Once I forgot to vacuum and L'art almost completely dried out. Applied another 7 mil with a brush and vacuum immediately - sounded superb!
    For really dirty and oily I am using Caig record cleaning as a pre-cleaning, also let it soak for 2-3 minutes, vacuum and then clean with L'art, Chisto (the one I am using now) or water. Without second cleaning Caig is living some residue on the stylus.

action pact likes this.
  5. Sullygr2221

Sullygr2221 Well-Known Member

I’ve not had a problem with it evaporating in 5 minutes. I use Disc Doctor Size A “LP” brushes.
    Gerald

action pact likes this.
  6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I’m just amazed you got an answer. It’s been over a month and I’m waiting to hear back for my VCS with a similar problem.

FalseMetal666 likes this.
  7. Old Zorki II

And I was complaining it took for my claim 2 weeks for response...

8. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

How noisy are those compared with Record Doctor V (which makes the noise of a big airplane taking off) ?

9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I have the same problem as the guy above, so it sounds like I'm waiting in line to be told to FO. Incredibly disappointing, I have to say.

10. Old Zorki II

I had the same response (please ship it to us to access ), but once shipped (yeh, I paid $100+ for pack and ship at UPS store) everything was fast.

11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

So you eventually got a replacement then?

12. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

I had the same problem with the VC-S that I picked up at a close out price. Vacuum suddenly got almost painfully loud. I paid for shipping back to Sumiko. I always keep shipping boxes so the cost wasn't too bad. The response came very quickly, they said that parts were several weeks out and I could either wait or they would send me a new VC-E. Obviously opted for the new machine which I received yesterday. Seems like a good unit and works great.

13. Old Zorki II

Yes, they shipped new VC-E for free. As I used VC-S for 2 years almost and cleaned more then 1500 records I cannot complain.

14. FalseMetal666

Good to hear but god, it’s such a simple machine. How in the world can it be so unreliable. The markup must be in the thousands of percent.

15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

My guess is it's just a race to the bottom with all of the actual electrical parts. I think originally VPI and Nitty Gritty established the market for vacuum RCMs and the price point reflected the fact they used indestructible vacuums. Then the next wave of competitors kept the price point and used the lowest spec vacuums available. But they were heavy and made of metal and somehow that trick works every time.

16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The Pro-Ject is loud, but not as painfully loud as the RDV.

17. FalseMetal666

When it’s actually working, it’s not loud enough to bug. With the bearing going out, it’s really obnoxious.

Rolltide likes this.
  18. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

And this is the downside of distance/internet purchases. When we bought from local shops we could just make a short car journey and dump it on their counter. Wherever possible I try and buy from a retailer that is within a driving distance that I'm happy to travel, but of course it's just not always possible.

FalseMetal666 likes this.
  19. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I purchased a Project RCM in Dec 2018. The vacuum arm was defective right out of the box. The bottom of it wasn’t machined properly and I needed two arms at full strength to even move it. Dealing with Project was horrible. I paid over $50 to ship a defective brand new unit back to them. They would not pay for shipping. I sent it to them. After a couple of months, they sent a new one which was DOA. This time I called Upscale and they sent me a return shipping label for the second unit. I wasn’t going to pay return costs again. After another couple of months, Project was going to ship another unit to me. I told them not to bother because their customer service and product suck. I don’t know why I just didn’t contact the dealer (Upscale) right at the start with the defective first one. Upscale ended up refunding me all costs incurred by me. I will never purchase another a item from Project or anything else by its distributor Sumiko. ( in fact, I had their Carbon TT and sold it for a Rega because I cannot stand that company) Ended up buying a VPI in July 2019 at a nice discount from the dealer because of the crap I went through with the Project RCM and it’s distributor. Been working perfectly ever since.
    Sorry to see consumers are having experiences Like I did and that Project’s customer service and product still suck.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    rocnred and Rolltide like this.
  20. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

Strange, I never had any faulty Pro-ject equipment.
    2 cdplayers 3 phonostages 2 headphone amps. 2 turntables and 1 ipod dock passed trough here.
    And now the VCE....
    But hey sometimes bad luck strikes twice and costumerservice can make or brake a brand.

Grtz Peter

21. Wachuko

Wachuko Forum Resident

I am now looking at getting a record cleaning machine... Moving up from the Spin Clean that I have and considering the Pro-Ject VC-E simply because of its price but alsoa because it has forward and reverse on the motor for cleaning, and nothing touches the record since it is held with a clamp that only covers the label... The other options, like the VPI, places the record on a pad (cork in the case of VPI)... and that surface tends to catch dirt... I see that. Okki Nokki ONE has the option of a similar small plate but have not been able to find anything more on it... is it even for sale?

VPI 16.5 is now US$800.00 where the PJ VC-E is US499.00. That is a significant difference.

My main concern is all these reliability issues shared in this thread...

I see that issue of the VC-E vent location was addressed by Pro-Ject by providing and acrylic plate to shield the record... a better alternative would had been to relocate that vent or have a diverter adapter if they wanted to keep the vent there... I will look at what others have done. But seems this is not an issue if only cleaning a couple of records... which it will be my normal routine.

I guess that I am looking for is additional feedback from those that have had the VC-E now for some time on how it has held up...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  22. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

The Okki Nokki ONE is excellent.
    You can read my thoughts as I have been using mine on page 7 of this discussion thread.

Wachuko and GyroSE like this.
  23. Wachuko

Wachuko Forum Resident

Can you share a photo of the label-size platter that is included? I can't find photos of it being used.

How do you use it? Full platter or label size?

Any issues so far?

I like the new looks... flat black with better placement and font of the brand. A f ew additional improvements as well...

Let me try to find a distributor in the USA... and see if there are any new videos showing the use
    of the label platter.

EDIT: Found a recent video:

So it does not have a small platter... it has a larger clamp that covers the label... So your record still rests on a full size under platter...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  24. Western Movie

Western Movie Well-Known Member

I have been using VC-E for washing roughly 250 records now and it works really well. If you clean 3-4 records there's no problem with the vent. I use a small pipe and a garden hose to direct the fog somewhere else when I clean more than three records.

Sullygr2221 likes this.
  25. Western Movie

Western Movie Well-Known Member

I turn it off before I change direction

Timbo21 likes this.