Pro-Ject VC-S mkII

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Echoplex, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

How do your LP's sound now and what did you use for cleaning before? :)

2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Do you clean the pads on the vacuum arm at all or just wait to change them? Is there any guidance as to when to change these?

3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve been using a Knosti, which is better than nothing and I was pretty happy with it but I was confident that the rinse with a spray was really removing the dirt and once you’ve cleaned a dirty record, even though you filter the solution, the next record is still going into dirty solution. I’m really happy with the vc-s so far. I’ve cleaned about 60 records so far and it took around 5 hours! I’m now wondering whether it’s worth doing the rinse cycle or to just vacuum off the solution. (I started off with my oldest, used albums from the 60s/70s so let the solution sit for a minute or two so will get quicker when I get to cleaning new vinyl).

In terms of sound, I tested it on an original Prince Buster pressing from the 60s and it did have quieter surface noise. I’ve cleaned every record in my collection already with the knosti so didn’t have any absolute stinkers in terms lf dirt or surface noise but checking the vacuum pads after 60 records there is some discolouration and dirt so it shows that the knosti wasn’t cleaning the records properly.

Sgt Pepper likes this.
  4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

So, 8 days later, entire record collection of around 400 records (it turns out) all cleaned and am very happy with my purchase. Surface noise on the intro deadwax of each album has disappeared (like playing a CD), any surface noise or crackle during tracks is either eliminated or severally reduced, and now just get to enjoy the music. If you’re sitting on the fence about buying an RCM, I highly recommend getting one, an immediate upgrade to the sound & enjoyment of your collection!

Sgt Pepper and Tablet Man like this.
  5. Sgt Pepper

100% agree.

6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Did you buy one in the end?

7. Sgt Pepper

Yes, got mine on Friday.:edthumbs:

Porkpie likes this.
  8. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

How have you found the results? Are you now hooked on cleaning records for hours on end?!

9. Sgt Pepper

Done 20 or so this far, but it can be addictive.:agree:

The results are [​IMG]

Porkpie likes this.
  10. fitzchris72

fitzchris72 Forum Resident

Has anyone in the states actually received the updated version of this? I’m having a hard time finding a dealer that has the updated model in stock. Music Direct thought they did, only to ship to me and discover it was the older version. Thanks for any info anyone can give!

11. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, bought mine from World Wide Stereo.

Here's the thing though....Pro-Ject doesn't actually call it the VC-S mkII. That designation was added by dealers to differentiate between the older and newer models. In fact, their website is still using old photos from when the VC-S first came out, though the updates have been happening gradually with each production run.

Couple of ways you can verify which version you have; bottom cover sticker has designated serial number or simply remove the bottom cover and look at the date of manufacture ink stamp inside.

All that said, I do think Pro-Ject could improve things by keeping their marketing and website info up to date.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  12. Mulroydave

Mulroydave Forum Resident

Finally decided to get one as my first venture into proper record cleaning and if any one else is sitting on the fence get one!

I have just cleaned my 40 year old copy of Neil Young Zuma and wow just wow! Huge improvement , much more than I expected.

Build quality of the mark II seems very good and easy to operate. Will have a few hours of cleaning ahead ...

Echoplex and Porkpie like this.
  13. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I did my entire collection of about 350-400 records and it took a few weeks but well worth it. And if you stick on an older record that still crackles, a second clean takes minutes. Love it.

ericsk59 and Mulroydave like this.
  14. Mulroydave

Mulroydave Forum Resident

Yes got a good few hours ahead but on the results of the few done so far will be very fruitful

15. enduroexpert

enduroexpert Active Member

I'm happy folk are getting along with their VCS cleaners......

I've recently had two of these machines, the MkII version, one arrived with dinged corners and a big scratch straight from the factory and the second one to arrive, the drive spindle that comes up through to the clamp was off-centre slightly to the hole it comes through. This meant once the vacuum arm was in place doing its job, the end of it was rubbing against the top clamp and lots of fine aluminium fillings ended up on the expensive piece of vinyl I was attempting to clean.

Anyone else had issues with build/quality issues.......?

Cheers
    Johnny

16. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I had issues with damaged shipments and had to return two units for the same reasons; dinged-up lower corners.
    Pro-Ject uses a cardboard stock that is way too thin for the outer box, and the inside packing material isn't any better.
    They use recycled cardboard honeycomb for the inside barrier, and it isn't strong enough to withstand repeated blows from a shipping clerk tossing it around.

So, third times a charm right? LOL
    I had the company put the original box inside of a larger box with a complete foam barrier all the way around. This time? Success!

Anyway...sorry to hear of your troubles. Definitely frustrating.

You might try suggesting the same idea about the larger box and foam barrier....
    Hope it arrives safely next time around!

17. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Bit of an old thread but figured here is as good as anywhere! I’ve cleaned about 30 records so far (wash, two rinses) but it’s showing as having no liquid in the reservoir. I know it’s been hot but surely it hasn’t all evaporated? I’ve gone to empty it but only a few drips came out. It feels damp if I stick my finger in to the chamber. How much liquid can this thing hold and how often are people emptying it? Very pleased with the results so far so great purchase

18. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

For any Canadians out there, has anyone come across any Canadian dealers who are selling the VC-S MK II? After speaking to a couple shops, they apparently do not have the distribution access to the RCM.

19. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Ha same here.....I have had mine for over a year and never had any liquid to the amount shown in the Project video. I use a spray bottle to apply cleaner and water rinse and on occasion will puddle so I know I am using plenty liquids.
    I can only guess as it vacuums the liquids evaporate with the suction thru the armtube.....I took the bottom off and had a good look around and the tank was just a bit dirty, so I don't know where the liquids are going :shrug:

Purplefowler likes this.
  20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

You need to tip it at a real angle for the liquid to come out. I usually see about 50ml - 100ml drain out after 50 or so records, it’s usually murky and the last dribble is more sludge like (from cleaning mostly new vinyl!)

Echoplex and Purplefowler like this.
  21. Catcher10

I have turned it completely on its side..nothing. Maybe you drain immediately after cleaning

Purplefowler likes this.
  22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

No I wait a month or so.

I’ve just ordered new adhesive strips for the arm as I replace them every few months but it seems they’re now selling flat, black felt like strips as opposed to the standard issue thicker white ones. I wonder if the flat ones would even do the job?

Purplefowler likes this.
  23. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Thanks everyone. I was a bit paranoid as my diy one would have nearly filled a jam jar with nastiness by now and I was thinking about popping the bottom off to check for leaks. Seems everything is in order though so I can crack on with my mountain of cleaning :D

24. Catcher10

Where did you order from Project? I assume you can find generic strips somewhere..??

25. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.