Pro-Ject VC-S mkII

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Echoplex, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laminateman

Laminateman Member

I was able to find one that fit at my local hardware store thankfully.

2. Laminateman

Laminateman Member

It seems I now have another problem with the unit. The platter doesn't rotate in either direction anymore. When I lift off the platter the unit still spins around. It doesn't rotate the platter when on however. Also the platter can spin freely by hand now, so something is up. I attached a video I took so you guys can see what I mean. It's terribly frustrating. I've probably cleaned a total of 8 albums. I did 4 in a row then this happened tonight and can't do anymore. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

3. Fchakib

Fchakib New Member

Hello,
    I saw an earlier post of yours where you also talk about adjusting the height of the mini platter, would it be possible for you to post a video or pictures on how to do that? I think I need to adjust mine as I just bought it and the tip of the vaccum tube touches the spindle when in use which make a "grinding" noise and I could feel rough marks left on the tip of the vaccum tube. Thanks for your help.

4. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I had it same way from production. Just loose one hex screw located bellow the mini plater. Then slightly move the plater down and tighten that screw again.

5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve adjusted mine and lifted it up as after a lot of use it had slipped a bit and the vacuum arm wasn’t reaching the records properly, even 180g ones. All good now. Love this machine.

6. Fchakib

Fchakib New Member

Thank you guys for your answers. I will try adjusting the mini platter as you described.

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Which is better - the Pro-Ject VC-S or the Okki Nokki?

8. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

My is set like this on my picture:
    20181114_204103.jpg
    I don't own okki nokki but after my research I found okki has slower motor (possible sleep during cleaning) and plater is full side. I think it is rather disadvantage how advantage during cleaning. Okki seems to be in more compact dimension than VC-S

notesofachord likes this.
  9. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

There are advantages and disadvantages in both the Okki Nokki and the Pro-Ject VC-S constructions I guess. I've had my Okki Nokki for nearly 7 years- it's a sturdy RCM that gets the job done in a very effective way. It's one of the best investments I've done and the only thing I regret is that I didn't get one earlier. IMHO you can't go wrong with either an Okki Nokki or a Pro-Ject VC-S- they're both effective record cleaners.

notesofachord and Porkpie like this.
  10. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

Any record cleaner with vacuum feature is better than nothing :)

GyroSE likes this.
  11. Fchakib

Fchakib New Member

Hello dear forum members,
    My Pro Ject VC-S MKII is 3 weeks old and I've only used to clean 20 or 25 records so far but yesterday I've noticed in the hole where the vacuum tube goes some sort of residue looking like rust (I wanted to upload a picture but I don't know how to do it). I don't know if that's coming from the washing solution. Has anyone of you noticed this ? I'm wondering if this is normal or if I should ask for service already? Thanks for your help.

12. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Garbage. I purchased one. I needed 2 arms at full strength to turn the arm because it was machined incorrectly. Horrible customer service as I had to pay my own freight ($42) to ship it back to them even though it was brand new. The dealer (who shall remain nameless at the moment) bears some responsibility on this as well. After 1 1/2 months, I find out that they agree and want to ship me a new machine but it won’t be available until March. I told them to keep it, I do not want it, give the dealer their credit, and I called the dealer and said I’ve no interest in another one. If I didn’t need a new AVR processor, I would have asked for my funds back. I just used the credit towards that. Worst customer service from Sumiko. I would never purchase another product of theirs again.

13. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

I received my unit this week. It have the sticker labels like the first model but It comes with the new clamp and with the new arm flange. It also comes with the old brush. It looks like an hybrid between the MKI and the MKII.
    Anyone else received a unit like this?

14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Still made in Austria or the Czech Republic?

15. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

I have notion is made in Czech Rep...

16. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:righton: I want nothing made in you know where ...

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  17. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

That does not seem right at all- is the solution before going into the RCM transparent before it goes on the record itself?

18. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

I have a problem cleaning old records that are lightwheight because the vacuum arm does not touch the record, especially in the outer grooves and it takes longer to dry. When cleaning heavyweight 180 grams i don't have this problem.
    Do you modify the height of the clamp when cleaning different records?

19. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Maybe you can put a washer between the platter and the record in these cases?

20. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

This is how it looks with a record from the 80's (i suppose 120-140gr).

[​IMG]

When vacuuming the arm strip touches all the surface of the record so I guess it's normal.

21. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

22. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you’re applying too much pressure with a record brush, then this will be the result. What I have found that works better is letting the fluid do most of the work, while applying little to no pressure with the brush.

That said, I would not recommend using the stock goats hair brush Pro-Ject includes. It’s ok, but there are better options available.

Here’s my process:
    1. Apply a generous amount of fluid. Apply little to no pressure with brush.
    2. Only use the brush to guide the fluid and always go in the direction of the grooves. Never across them.
    3. Use a specific brush for each step of the 3 step process.
    4. Before each cleaning, I use a lint roller to remove any contamination on each brush.
    5. Periodically replace brushes with new ones. Cheap and peace of mind. ;-)

I use MoFi record brushes and Audio Intelligent archivist bundle 3 step record cleaner. This has consistently delivered excellent results for me. Just a suggestion, but you might give those a try and see what you think.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    wellers73 and notesofachord like this.
  23. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Maybe a stupid question, but what kind of lint roller do you use? A standard large one that you’d brush a blazer with? A smaller one?

24. Echoplex

Echoplex Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, large one; made by 3M.

wellers73 likes this.
  25. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

Do you wet clean the arm strips? I cleaned some dirty records and now the strips doesn't look white anymore, they are a little dark. I don't really wanna change the adhesive strips because I only cleaned like 20-25 records.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.